Samsung's Second Quarter Profits Edge Down on Weak Galaxy S6 Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
s6-edge-over-the-s6.jpg

It turns out that the market analyst reports predicting weak sales of Samsung's Galaxy S6 flagship were true. Sammy just released their second quarter financials and things aren't as rosy as they would have hoped. According to Samsung's info, their profits were down by 4% compared to this time last year, and they attribute that to lower than expected Galaxy S6 sales.

Ironically, the problem isn't what you would expect. It seems that Samsung underestimated the exceptional demand for the Galaxy S6 Edge, which ended up cannibalizing some of the momentum for the "vanilla" version of the S6. In fact, they have since adjusted their previously predicted manufacturing schedule from a 4:1 ratio of Galaxy S6 to S6 Edge units, to nearly 1:1. Basically, the problem was that they made too many regular Galaxy S6 devices, and didn't make enough Galaxy S6 Edge devices.

To be clear, this isn't news that Samsung is doing poorly. It simply means they didn't do nearly as well as they predicted. Such is the nature of the fickle consumer industry. Perhaps they should have simply released the S6 as only the Edge model to begin with? (Assuming they could produce enough of the fancy display.)

Here's our dedicated Galaxy S6 section: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Samsung

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Should've released the iron man version here in the US...problem solved...lol

Gremlin

Reaction score
New rumor no SD Card on the Samsung Note 5 either.. Lost me as a customer if it is true..

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
New rumor no SD Card on the Samsung Note 5 either.. Lost me as a customer if it is true..
I jumped ship and went to the G4. I'm happy as a clam. Camera is so much better, which takes a lot for me to say, since I do photography!

On topic, I'm surprised the S6 Edge is selling as well as it is, considering the price difference and not being as functional as the Note 4 Edge.

Sent from my Verizon G4