Samsung's S Voice Takes On Apple's Siri in a Duel to the Death!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;TKAZOJ5uJFc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAZOJ5uJFc&feature=player_detailpage[/video]​

LET'S GET REEAADDDYYYY TO RUUUMMMBLE!!!! Okay, so this was really more of a friendly comparison than a true grudge match, but going "thematic" made for a more interesting title to grab your attention. Samsung's S Voice personal assistant (running on a Galaxy S III of course), enters the battle arena to take on Apple's Siri personal assistant (running on the iPhone 4S). While each competitor makes the claim that their voice assistant is the best in the world, the fight was actually neck and neck, with each product/service equalling each other in almost every respect. A blogger with access to an SGS3 and an Apple iPhone 4S takes the time to film a video competition pitting Samsung's S Voice against Apple's Siri.

In the end, Samsung's S Voice ekes out a win in the match just barely because of one feature. The S Voice in the SGS3 was able to offer navigation in the user’s home country of Sydney, Australia, which the iPhone is not capable of just yet. Even if you might concede that both personal voice assistant's are identical in quality and functionality, it's interesting to note just how similar they are to each other. I wonder how long it will take Apple to come up with a lawsuit for this?

Source: S3Forums via TalkAndroid

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I can't see Apple trying that as Android used voice way before they did.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I thought there was already a lawsuit being brought up for this very thing.
I believe there is too- or at least the injunction to delay SGS3 sales in the US was based in part on S Voice being similar to Siri.

I can't see Apple trying that as Android used voice way before they did.
I have no idea what you're talking about. Obviously Android's voice controls are a ripoff of Siri.

As you all know, Apple invented voice controls. And smartphones. And rectangles.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes, Apple tried to levy an injunction against Samsung to stop the SGS3, and S Voice was one of the reasons cited, but they already lost that battle, which our evening staff writer, eDogNights reported here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...iminary-injunction-against-samsungs-siii.html.

It looks like they will have to take Samsung to court and fight them the same way they have in the past, by claiming patent or copyright infringement. Of course, if anything develops on that front we will keep you guys informed.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Siri can have accents? :blink:

nikecar

Reaction score
I believe there is too- or at least the injunction to delay SGS3 sales in the US was based in part on S Voice being similar to Siri.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Obviously Android's voice controls are a ripoff of Siri.

As you all know, Apple invented voice controls. And smartphones. And rectangles.
and apples

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL! I can't believe I made that typo! I know better than that! Nerf! I feel like such a tool. Thanks for catching and fixing my title "wicked".

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
LOL! I can't believe I made that typo! I know better than that! Nerf! I feel like such a tool. Thanks for catching and fixing my title "wicked".

Got your back brother. :p

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have to say I liked S-Voice better. This isn't an Android vs iOS thing, but I liked the to the point aspect of S-Voice. I don't want my phone to pretend to be my friend or anything. I want it to be precise. When he checked the weather, I liked being shown the weather display and not getting the .02c from Siri of "the weather looks poor today until tuesday" or whatever it said. Maybe I like the rain. Maybe its been a severe drought and rain is a good thing. Give me what I asked without the added bits.

That being said, I pre-ordered an S3 and I doubt I will ever use S-Voice. I've never liked Siri simply because I don't see a use for it. I've used voice commands on my DroidX before and that will probably be the extent of what I use them for on the S3. Stuff like getting directions while driving. Setting an alarm quickly. But for everything else, S-Voice is a novelty just like Siri.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For now you are probably right, but in the not-too-distant future, these types of "artificial AI" (like Jarvis or the Star Trek voice controlled computers) will completely change the way we interface with oura devices. Mark my words. ;)