Samsung's Next Smartwatch Shows Off in Video with Round Face and Rotating Bezel

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
That's a given. At a minimum I want to be able to stream music to my bluetooth headphones, gps, and track my weightlifting...heart rate monitor would be icing on the cake, but only the Gear and IWatch have both gps and hrm - neither of which is running Android!

I'm waiting to see the full specs on the Moto2 and the Zenwatch2....otherwise I think I'm doing the Sony Smartwatch3 for the gps.

Also looking for bluetooth compatible with one of the the smartlock deadbolts out there...If I cant leave my keys and phone at home when working out then there's no point for me in getting a smartwatch. Not sure if I could really even use the IWatch or Gear without their phones (I could live with just syncing both via the cloud)

I hadn't even considered the Bluetooth lock scenario! That would be great.

I want LTE though. I have my bluetooth headset around my neck anyways so ditching the phone is what I am looking for.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hadn't even considered the Bluetooth lock scenario! That would be great.

I want LTE though. I have my bluetooth headset around my neck anyways so ditching the phone is what I am looking for.
What is it you want to do with LTE? My current S doesn't have volte capability like my phone does and the link you shared in another thread a bit back said the new S would have "cellular radio" but didn't expound to which one(s). I'm able to use my S in places my phone has no signal, though not being a monstrous difference. If there's a minute signal the watch will pick it up enough to text and call but still the hourglass of waiting forever when trying to use the web. I shared in some thread here ,back in the spring, about jealousy of other users at my daughter's dance recital because I was texting on the watch when nobody else had signal on their phone. I showed them my phone was actually powered off due to no signal on it.
Tizen and Web both lack development at the moment but making use of things such as Bluetooth apps should help them. I've got a buddy in India that is a Tizen developer and his apps are more popular in countries such as S Korea and Iran than here in the U.S. . Everything he does is totally standalone and innovative in that there's not another like it. He's a part time developer so he's not pushing out a ton of newer ideas but he said with Tizen being html5 based it's not hard to do, Samsung locked down from being as interactive os being his biggest hold back. He said there's a new version pushing out soon that he thinks will open that door more. He also said any apps approved must support the current square of the Gears and rectangular of the S1 along with the round of the S2 .
I think I'm more intrigued by what Tizen will do next than what new hardware it'll be on. If the devices are going to become mainstream at some point they need developers making capabilities that'll give folks more reason to add a watch than what's currently out there. AW sees that (based on their current constant support), Apple sees that (based on their constant media ads) but the only Tizen I've seen was a commercial about AT&T merging with Direct TV where they showed a Gear S being used and I've only gotten 1 firmware update and about a half dozen app updates since February. Their app store look seems to be made by a former postal union employee by their resistance to change its look in the slightest. While they don't take a cut from developed apps they also don't push anything new and innovative either, just the same ones as forever ago. They've even removed the "what's new" section unless you dig deep into the store.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think I'm more intrigued by what Tizen will do next than what new hardware it'll be on

But that's really the biggest barrier to entry for anyone hoping to crack the Android/IOS juggernaut.

I don't even need my watch to sync with my phone, especially considering the whole point is to leave the phone at home. But I need to be able to manage it somehow with my PC, for starters.

But the larger issue is the lack of apps. I use JEFIT, which doesn't appear interested in supporting its app on smartwatches. I'm aware of 1-2 quality weightlifting apps for smartwatches, both Android - and it's a relatively simple function that is almost ideal for a watch (done and set-up correctly, you literally just need to draw your reps on the face after each set).

I also doubt smartlocks are going to support much more than IOS and Android in the near future.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
What is it you want to do with LTE? My current S doesn't have volte capability like my phone does and the link you shared in another thread a bit back said the new S would have "cellular radio" but didn't expound to which one(s). I'm able to use my S in places my phone has no signal, though not being a monstrous difference. If there's a minute signal the watch will pick it up enough to text and call but still the hourglass of waiting forever when trying to use the web. I shared in some thread here ,back in the spring, about jealousy of other users at my daughter's dance recital because I was texting on the watch when nobody else had signal on their phone. I showed them my phone was actually powered off due to no signal on it.
Tizen and Web both lack development at the moment but making use of things such as Bluetooth apps should help them. I've got a buddy in India that is a Tizen developer and his apps are more popular in countries such as S Korea and Iran than here in the U.S. . Everything he does is totally standalone and innovative in that there's not another like it. He's a part time developer so he's not pushing out a ton of newer ideas but he said with Tizen being html5 based it's not hard to do, Samsung locked down from being as interactive os being his biggest hold back. He said there's a new version pushing out soon that he thinks will open that door more. He also said any apps approved must support the current square of the Gears and rectangular of the S1 along with the round of the S2 .
I think I'm more intrigued by what Tizen will do next than what new hardware it'll be on. If the devices are going to become mainstream at some point they need developers making capabilities that'll give folks more reason to add a watch than what's currently out there. AW sees that (based on their current constant support), Apple sees that (based on their constant media ads) but the only Tizen I've seen was a commercial about AT&T merging with Direct TV where they showed a Gear S being used and I've only gotten 1 firmware update and about a half dozen app updates since February. Their app store look seems to be made by a former postal union employee by their resistance to change its look in the slightest. While they don't take a cut from developed apps they also don't push anything new and innovative either, just the same ones as forever ago. They've even removed the "what's new" section unless you dig deep into the store.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

What I really mean is that I want one with a cellular radio in it.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I really mean is that I want one with a cellular radio in it.
It's nice to have it. Today I was moving furniture and got a call from work, tapped the watch and talked to my boss while I was carrying a dresser down a flight of steps. When she asked why I was out of breath I said because I'm talking to you on my watch while moving furniture.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The other day I met the Power Wheels rep for the first time and I told her how I'd been trying to get a part for months and they keep sending me the wrong one. She asked which one, pulls out her iPad looking for an owners manual for the model, them makes a voice note in her iPhone to order to update the owners manuals on her iPad. I said ok I've got it on my watch, opened the pdf owners manual and showed her the part I needed. Needless to say she started trying to make her Apple watch , that she'd been kinda blinging if you know what I mean , suddenly not be so noticeable. She suddenly stopped trying to draw my eyes to her watch by the way she was moving her arm.
I also a couple of weeks back was accused of using my watch for a personal phone call while on the floor. I said no I was making a voice note for my phone to check on some stuff when I get upstairs. She didn't believe me so we went up to my work area and I pulled my phone out of my tool bag and showed her the note was not only synced to the phone but had converted the vocal to text. She said "um just make sure you don't use it for personal calls while on the floor" . When remotely connected via Wi-Fi ,3G or cellular data the combination is pretty darn awesome for syncing stuff back and forth, be it voice notes, lists from my notes app or other productivity abilities. I can leave the phone at home and still get a lot done if need be.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The other day I met the Power Wheels rep for the first time and I told her how I'd been trying to get a part for months and they keep sending me the wrong one. She asked which one, pulls out her iPad looking for an owners manual for the model, them makes a voice note in her iPhone to order to update the owners manuals on her iPad. I said ok I've got it on my watch, opened the pdf owners manual and showed her the part I needed. Needless to say she started trying to make her Apple watch , that she'd been kinda blinging if you know what I mean , suddenly not be so noticeable. She suddenly stopped trying to draw my eyes to her watch by the way she was moving her arm.
I also a couple of weeks back was accused of using my watch for a personal phone call while on the floor. I said no I was making a voice note for my phone to check on some stuff when I get upstairs. She didn't believe me so we went up to my work area and I pulled my phone out of my tool bag and showed her the note was not only synced to the phone but had converted the vocal to text. She said "um just make sure you don't use it for personal calls while on the floor" . When remotely connected via Wi-Fi ,3G or cellular data the combination is pretty darn awesome for syncing stuff back and forth, be it voice notes, lists from my notes app or other productivity abilities. I can leave the phone at home and still get a lot done if need be.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8
Please remind me, which watch do you have again?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gear S. It's overkill for most but almost perfect for my desires.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Gear S.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8
Thanks. I appreciate the update. I've got the Moto 360, and although I Love the round screen I'd love to have 4G on the watch and be able to be completely detached from the phone when wanted. Wi-Fi is sort of doing that but still no phone calls.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a great example of my frustration....

I realize the LG Watch Urbane (LTE) has everything I want, and is quite stylish! But it's running some bastardized WebOS operating system. OK, so let me go look at the non-LTE (Android) version....and no gps!

It's a very interesting choice that both LG and Sammie chose to make their highest-end watches loaded with specs run proprietary OS's. And I hope both fail miserably....except then they'll probably draw stupid conclusions that people didn't buy because they didn't want to pay for certain features, when really the proprietary OS disqualified it as an option.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Sony Smartwatch 3. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but that's something I only want occasionally to set goals and track progress. Plus it does sync very well with some chest strap monitors, which the wrist-based monitors are known to be fairly inaccurate, if not rather inconsistent.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's a great example of my frustration....

I realize the LG Watch Urbane (LTE) has everything I want, and is quite stylish! But it's running some bastardized WebOS operating system. OK, so let me go look at the non-LTE (Android) version....and no gps!

It's a very interesting choice that both LG and Sammie chose to make their highest-end watches loaded with specs run proprietary OS's. And I hope both fail miserably....except then they'll probably draw stupid conclusions that people didn't buy because they didn't want to pay for certain features, when really the proprietary OS disqualified it as an option.

I'm heavily leaning toward the Sony Smartwatch 3. It doesn't have a heart rate monitor, but that's something I only want occasionally to set goals and track progress. Plus it does sync very well with some chest strap monitors, which the wrist-based monitors are known to be fairly inaccurate, if not rather inconsistent.
Why do you want to see Tizen and Webos fail? If they do you'll NEVER see LTE on Android Wear. Tizen interacts with my Android phone just fine. I buy paid apps that are watch specific from a different source but if you had only AW you'd still have to buy watch specific apps if you wanted it to be more than a phone butler, just another source of them. I don't know if you've read the threads I've posted about my S apps I appreciate most but you won't find them on the Play Store and I've got standalone abilities on my S not possible on AW yet. I had Wi-Fi long before Android Wear did and it wasn't Apple that pushed Google to wake the ability in their watches. AW might have a file manager app and standalone pdf viewer now but if they don't, when they do it'll be because competition had it first.
Before competition the only real mobile choices were Windows Mobile and BlackBerry, both are gone now due to competition forcing them to adapt or become extinct. They chose the latter.
If you're an Android Wear aficionado you should welcome competition so that your brand of choice will get the things you like about the others and also lose the things that are driving you nuts about it, such as a lack of LTE.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to see Tizen and Webos fail? If they do you'll NEVER see LTE on Android Wear. Tizen interacts with my Android phone just fine.

I don't care about LTE (and I'm not sure why their success/failure would have anything to do with LTE on Androidwear). And there are a couple of specific workout apps that I need that are Android and won't work on Tizen - I'm leaving the phone at home.

Oh, and I don't have a Sammie phone and I thought Tizen only syncs with Sammie phones? I refuse to buy any device that locks me into that OEM's ecosystem. Yeah, I hope anyone pushing the Apple strategy of "it only works with our phones/tablets" fails.

And in this case, competition is limiting choice not helping it since neither LG nor Sammie offer their "flagship" watches with Android.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't care about LTE (and I'm not sure why their success/failure would have anything to do with LTE on Androidwear). And there are a couple of specific workout apps that I need that are Android and won't work on Tizen - I'm leaving the phone at home.

Oh, and I don't have a Sammie phone and I thought Tizen only syncs with Sammie phones? I refuse to buy any device that locks me into that OEM's ecosystem. Yeah, I hope anyone pushing the Apple strategy of "it only works with our phones/tablets" fails.

And in this case, competition is limiting choice not helping it since neither LG nor Sammie offer their "flagship" watches with Android.
Might I suggest you seek out why the Urbane and S aren't running AW? What forced them to not use Android Wear'
About Samsung and Apple exclusivity, if AW gains traction into the market better than any of them both others will have to adapt or become extinct but at the same time AW needs to catch up to the reality that smartwatches can be so much more than a phone butler for Google Now or it'll never be more than a niche while the rest of the planet continues to utilize phones on a watch technology that they've been using since before the turn of the century that is growing more capable than just phone calls.
Competition is good.
Bummer that you're too upset that the AW ones you seek don't meet your desires. It's why I got over myself and jumped onto another platform.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Might I suggest you seek out why the Urbane and S aren't running AW? What forced them to not use Android Wear'

I really have no idea what you are talking about. Watches running Androidwear can standalone. Watches running Androidwear can remote connect to your phone via wifi.

Nothing forced LG and Sammie to not use AW. And Tizen pre-dates smartwatches - not a secret that Sammie would like to be more like Apple and not reliant on Android.

And the LG Urbane LTE doesn't work on US networks....the non-LTE runs - wait for it - Androidwear.

Get over myself? You sound like a fanboi. Why would I buy a watch that doesn't do the thing I primarily want it for? And I'll probably get the Sony Smartwatch 3 which doesn't require me to "get over myself" it actually does most of what I want.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I really have no idea what you are talking about. Watches running Androidwear can standalone. Watches running Androidwear can remote connect to your phone via wifi.

Nothing forced LG and Sammie to not use AW. And Tizen pre-dates smartwatches - not a secret that Sammie would like to be more like Apple and not reliant on Android.

And the LG Urbane LTE doesn't work on US networks....the non-LTE runs - wait for it - Androidwear.

Get over myself? You sound like a fanboi. Why would I buy a watch that doesn't do the thing I primarily want it for? And I'll probably get the Sony Smartwatch 3 which doesn't require me to "get over myself" it actually does most of what I want.
I'm touting competition is good, no matter which ,while you're writing you wish failure to competition and using derogatory wording about it and I'm the fanboi?
Ok

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4