Samsung's Next Smartwatch Shows Off in Video with Round Face and Rotating Bezel

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Aug 19, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254

Samsung's forays into the smartwatch world have been met with limited success. The primary reason for that could probably be attributed to a square and unattractive design. As soon as Motorola debuted the Moto 360 with a round face, Android fans finally stood up and took notice. From then on, other manufacturers, (like LG) moved to the round face as well. It looks like Samsung has finally decided to join the "in" crowd.

Samsung just shared the above teaser trailer for their next smartwatch. It confirms earlier rumors and reports that Sammy's next design would be round-faced. It also seems to confirm rumors that the device would include a rotating bezel. Could we be seeing an innovative idea from Samsung? :eek:

Here's what Sammy said,

What do you think of Samsung's chances of breaking through in the smartwatch market?

2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    Would love to have this....such a shame it's running Tizen and only compatible with a Sammie phone :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I'll stick with my S1 because it's rectangular with curved glass. I'd read the S2 will be 1.5" max. On a round screen that's a lotta wasted real estate when reading text more numerous than your heart rate or the time. If someone can't see themselves using Opera browser on the first generation imagine losing well over a half inch of usable screen.

Support Our Troops !!!
    <><
    Beast Mode 4

4. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    I still love my Moto 360..

• Like Like x 2
  5. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +941
    I keep waiting for them to launch the new one....the more leaks I hear, the more disappointed I'm getting (no gps, flat tire still, basically no other upgrades in hardware/specs). Almost sounding like all they did was make some new casings and bands.

I'm hoping most of the rumors are wrong and they shock everyone by launching the best smartwatch out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CTownDroid

CTownDroid Gold Member

Ratings:
    +324
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    I'm enjoying my GearS and get plenty of compliments on it, and that's before i show them the sound quality and the fact that it makes calls and texts etc. on its own. I find myself using it quite a bit (more than I thought) and giving up that much usable screen would be unfortunate.

7. FoxKat

FoxKat Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,290
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
    I don't know that the video actually depicts a rotating bezel. It shows of some rotating graphics but the bezel looks quite fixed to me.

In order for the bezel to be rotating it would likely need to be knurled like the image below and I'm just not seeing it.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,437
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    There's gonna have to be quick a jump in technology for me to swap out my LG Urbane. It suits me quite well. Also, I'm heavily invested in Android, but not so much in Sammy and don't want to pay an extra fee each month to use my watch, so I'm with others that think it's a shame that it'll run Tizen. Though I do know that there's plenty you can do with a Tizen watch thanks to @mountainbikermark's posts about his Gear S and apps he's found useful.

9. thc1967

thc1967 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27
    I'm following this one. I took the watch off my wrist years ago, even before I got my first "smart" phone, because the phone on my hip did everything the watch did and more. If this one has the right features for the right price, I'm in.

I think that balance of price and features is probably a challenge. These things seem to be priced pretty hefty. When I'm thinking about spending upwards of $450 for a watch, I have to ask myself if I'd like to spend that on technology that will be obsolete in 2-3 years or something that will retain its function and classic look for decades, like some "just" watches in that price range do.

10. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    Moto 360 v2 the button as moved up. Meaning it is located 45 degrees.

Honestly the flat tire does not bother me at all.. Next watch if I had the money would be the Huawei..

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,483
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    Depending on whether or not this watch has LTE on board I will gift myself it or the Urbane LTE for xmas.

I won't buy a watch that can't stand on its own.

• Like Like x 1
  12. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel 2XL
    I do too. I rarely leave my house without it. Had it since launch day.

• Like Like x 1