Samsung's New 8GB LPDDR4 DRAM The Solution To TouchWiz Lag?!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
8GB-LPDDR4-DRAM-1024x676.jpg

Samsung over the years has become the top dog when it comes to companies that produce Android devices. The one problem that many Samsung users experience with their devices is LAG. This normally is not apparent during the first month or so of owning the device but becomes apparent when multitasking and as the device gets older.

Samsung may have finally come up with a solution. They just started production of their 8GB LPDDR4 DRAM with 10nm process tech. This will provide up to 2 times the speeds of Samsung's current DDR4 DRAM for PCs. The chips would be able to process 32GB of data per second with a 64-bit (x64) wide memory bus. This would be a great addition to the upcoming Galaxy S8!

via Samsung

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The solution to touchwiz lag is me buying a Pixel soon. Bye S7 Edge.

(anyone want to buy a TMobile S7 Edge, PM me)

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only solution Samsung hasn't tried is... rewriting TW to eliminate the lag, which was there even on Windows Mobile.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Wouldn't it make sense to make TouchWiz more agile and smaller.. than to make a chip to handle it and make it even bigger?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I think it's perfectly logical to assess this as a software problem and not a hardware problem. Can't polish a turd.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Why not go forward with these new chips but go to a more Pure Android and nix TW altogether. I love how my Moto Z Force is closer to a Plain Android Feel. It would Fly with this chip.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
The whole TW/lag issue hasn't been an issue on Samsung devices over the past couple years as long as you regularly reboot your device.

S5 tap'n

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
The only solution Samsung hasn't tried is... rewriting TW to eliminate the lag, which was there even on Windows Mobile.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
DAMN you beat me too it.

I imagine this conversation in a TW team meeting.

TW Team programmer: You know, we could rewrite TW to be more efficient and remove some deprecated code... hell we could make the entire user experience better.

Team Lead: You're fired, we're adding more ram... problem solved!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Why don't all manufacturers go with stock Android and then add their unique features as apps? That way users that like a certain functionality that is provided by Sammy, LG, Moto , etc can still have it but the phone is running stock Android (or close to it). Then those apps can be updated through the Play Store without waiting for OS updates or System Version updates. I would imagine internal testing time would be faster and they could push OS updates out faster. Just a thought.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why don't all manufacturers go with stock Android and then add their unique features as apps? That way users that like a certain functionality that is provided by Sammy, LG, Moto , etc can still have it but the phone is running stock Android (or close to it). Then those apps can be updated through the Play Store without waiting for OS updates or System Version updates. I would imagine internal testing time would be faster and they could push OS updates out faster. Just a thought.

you better take that completely valid idea and get on out of here. How dare you even think one of these phone manufacturers could ever use their heads... like that's really a thing.

I do agree though... why they don't do something like that is beyond me. probably not enough control and they would be unable to cram their junk down our throats at that point... good for us... bad for them.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
you better take that completely valid idea and get on out of here. How dare you even think one of these phone manufacturers could ever use their heads... like that's really a thing.

I do agree though... why they don't do something like that is beyond me. probably not enough control and they would be unable to cram their junk down our throats at that point... good for us... bad for them.
Moto has been doing it since 2013.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
That was the suggestion I made years ago...load your phone with the vanilla Android experience...and then make apps available in the play store or Samsung store to further enhance the experience...don't be greedy and have to pay for em either. Lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited: