Samsung's Mobile Chief Says It Doesn't Matter Which Chip is in Your Galaxy S4

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
jk-shin-sgs4.jpg

Although it might be little comfort for some of us hardware junkies who insist on having the best version available, for most people a recent comment from Samsung's Mobile Chief, J.K. Shin suggests we have nothing to worry about when it comes to the two different CPU versions of the Samsung Galaxy S4. According to Shin, it really doesn't matter which chip is in your Samsung Galaxy S4. Either the Snapdragon 600 or the Exynos 5 Octa-core will offer nearly identical experiences. He suggested that most consumers will not be able to tell a difference between the two devices, despite what benchmark numbers one can laud over the other.

He explained that the issue which required there to be two separate versions had nothing to do with LTE compatibility and was only a supply and demand problem. He said, "We use multiple different sources. It's a sourcing issue."

This news is not surprising and for the most part most of us who follow the industry have been saying exactly this, but it's still great to hear it confirmed straight from the source.

Source: PhoneArena

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I say that he's right...to an extent, that most consumers wouldn't be able to tell the difference simply because most consumers don't push their phones to do so many things and install nearly as many apps and such as the typical forum member here and on other Bionic forums. However, if there's a difference to be felt/seen, you can bet we'll feel/see it. I push my RAZR very hard, and there is an obvious point (particularly related to available RAM), where it is being driven too hard, evidenced by lag in screen swipes, lag in apps opening or closing, lags in screen builds on websites, lags in navigation results, etc., and when I really push it hard, I get stalls of the entire phone.

Let's hope that the 2GB RAM and Snapdragon processor are enough to meet the demands of the overwhelming majority, but even better still...all the new S4 owners on our forums as well! :biggrin:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have an S3 without an Exynos processor and it still screams. Android itself has come a long way in terms of efficiency when it processes something. Though i would love the latest and greatest, I would buy a Snapdragon S4 without issue.

J

JohnDroid

To be honest the chip in my S3 is more then enough. Any slowdowns I have are not related to the CPU but to network speed. I'd give up a good 35% of my CPU performance to gain 25% better battery life.

I can barely get through a full long day of normal usage without having to worry about being on the last 10% of my battery :(

droidxd00d

Reaction score
I can't see most people needing any more processing power from their phones. My note 2 is blazing fast and I haven't had it lag yet ever. And with and awesome battery I have a phone that will last me quite a while. But I did hear from the androidcentral review that the s4 had some lag issues. I bet touchwiz has become even more bloated then on the s3 and note2

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chips are tasty.

Both chip set configurations are good now. The Samsung chipsets had horrible audio quality and would produce popping sounds, and other crazy noise. Either way, both of these would be good. In regards to it not being an LTE compatibility issue... If you say so Sammy. Coincidence that VZW was so late on the draw to even announce pre-orders (which start tomorrow)? Maybe they were busy trying really hard to get the Exynos to work well on LTE, and finally realized they were out of time... Just maybe... :icon_ banana: