Samsung's Gear S Will Launch on All Major US Carriers Later This Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Gear-S-white-black-side-by-side.jpg

One of the more intriguing new wearable devices to come out of Samsung in a while is the Gear S. Technically it isn't an Android Wear device, since it uses Samsung's custom Tizen OS, but that doesn't mean it isn't a mobile wearable worth taking a peek at. In fact, it's small size and surprising cell-phone service capability could be quite attractive to folks who need an active device like this.

Samsung just announced their partnership with all four major US carriers for this device. The Gear S will be coming to a cell network near and dear to your heart by the end of this year. Here's a spec refresh:
  • 2-inch Super AMOLED display at 480 x 360
  • dual-core 1GHz processor
  • 512MB of RAM
  • 4GB of storage
  • WiFi N, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS w/GLONASS
  • 300mAh battery
Keep in mind one caveat to this device. Even though it has data and smartphone connectivity functionality because of its 3G radios, it still requires a one-time activation through a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Sound off if you are tempted by this device.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I like the look. I don't get the activation thing. Can you use anyone's Galaxy? Does it only communicate with the galaxy that activated it?

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in one of these devices for my 2 year old daughter so I can track her location at all times without monthly fees.

Gremlin

Reaction score
I'm interested in one of these devices for my 2 year old daughter so I can track her location at all times without monthly fees.

Wait you want to use this watch to track her :p Hope you are joking :) watch will be broken quickly

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
No, I'm not joking. And that's exactly why I need a durable device. They already have similar "smart watches for kids" with GPS tracking but they cost $100-200 with additional monthly fees.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
300mAH and cellular capabilities. Doesn't sound good for the battery at all unless the 3G can be turned on/off at will.

This is the first smart watch that makes sense to me. I don't wear a watch so the added 3G would make me more likely to be swayed into the smart watch industry.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the look. I don't get the activation thing. Can you use anyone's Galaxy? Does it only communicate with the galaxy that activated it?
They haven't made that too clear in the media. I think it somehow uses the SIM codes from the Samsung Galaxy device you use to activate it, but that is just speculation on my part.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just read that you will also need a Samsung phone to download any apps as well. Bad move on Sammy's part.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also, the watch charging station has a built in backup battery to charge the watch if you aren't near an outlet and happen to be carrying the charging station around with you. Could come in handy while traveling.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The question is, do you incur extra data charges/lose usage for using the watch by itself? I haven't looked into this device much, but I like the idea of not necessarily having to depend on the phone, but what's it gonna cost month-to-month?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No one has clarified any of those details yet.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's useless If you need to have the phone that activated the watch with you at all times.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's useless If you need to have the phone that activated the watch with you at all times.
They said you don't need the phone with you. You just need a Galaxy phone to set it up & apparently to get apps.

Other than that, that's kinda their big selling feature. Leave the phone at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
They said you don't need the phone with you. You just need a Galaxy phone to set it up & apparently to get apps.

Other than that, that's kinda their big selling feature. Leave the phone at home.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I like the idea of leaving the phone home but I would want to add apps or make changes on the go. IMO, Not very well thought out.