Samsung's Galaxy S5 Will Be Laughing at Apple's Retina with 560ppi 2K Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Galaxy-S5-screen-specs-screenshot-190x300.png

In reality, there have been numerous Android products with displays which were improvements over the famous "Retina" display from Apple's iPhone and iPad line. Despite this, Samsung's new Galaxy S5 display might just blow the Retina display completely away and have Samsung laughing at Apple. There is now new intel which seems to confirm the previous rumors of a 2K (2560 x 1440 res) 5.25-inch display on Samsung's upcoming flagship. This would give it an eyeball busting gorgeous 560ppi screen.

The tiny little pic above was supposedly taken from an actual Galaxy S5, and it shows off some of the specs, most notably the display mentioned above. Although at these screen sizes, these ultra-brilliant high-res screens probably don't actually look that much different from each other to the average user, these numbers give hug marketing/PR bragging rights to the OEMs. If these specs turn out to be accurate, then Apple will need to at least match this technology with the iPhone 6 coming out later this year just to "keep up with the Joneses."

Source: BGR

For additional specific Samsung Galaxy S5 topics, be sure to check out our sister-site @GalaxyS5Forums.net and/or here is our dedicated DroidForums section here: Samsung Galaxy S5

Last edited:

Bara65

Reaction score
Honest I think 2K display is overkill for phone. I know people said that about 1080p full HD a year ago. But I think full HD is good enough for most people.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Honest I think 2K display is overkill for phone. I know people said that about 1080p full HD a year ago. But I think full HD is good enough for most people.

Not even sure it was 1080p people were noticing but more colors & better contrast making the displays seem sharper.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C

I'll take one! (good thing I'm not most people!) :p

combatmedic870

Reaction score

I agree....id rathet a 1080p display that looks awesome AND has a refresh rate of 120-240ghz. That would actually make your experience with the phone actually better.

scott craft

Reaction score
I don't necessarily have anything against a 2K display, but at some point the spec war will have to stop. Can't a phone be improved without giving it a bigger screen with better resolution?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I don't necessarily have anything against a 2K display, but at some point the spec war will have to stop. Can't a phone be improved without giving it a bigger screen with better resolution?

I want it to keep going until we hit ludicrousK displays!

2vjec7t.jpg

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I still say it's placebo - I know people swear they can tell a difference but more than 12 inches from your face you can't, and that's just science.

The cost of the phones doesn't bother me all that much (at least on contract), but it irritates me the component value being wasted on megapixels and PPI while ram and storage is hoarded like gold.

I think the MotoX came really close to being my ideal phone, basically coming down to a lack of storage. But with an unlimited data plan I'm thinking about it

scott craft

Reaction score
Yeah, I still say it's placebo - I know people swear they can tell a difference but more than 12 inches from your face you can't, and that's just science.

The cost of the phones doesn't bother me all that much (at least on contract), but it irritates me the component value being wasted on megapixels and PPI while ram and storage is hoarded like gold.

I think the MotoX came really close to being my ideal phone, basically coming down to a lack of storage. But with an unlimited data plan I'm thinking about it

Before I got my G2 I had a couple of phones with 720P screens and my wife has a Note 2. I can tell a difference in quality but not resolution, but I will say my eyes are poor. I just think phones can't keep getting bigger with each new generation.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
You can have your 2k screen with 4 hours screen time. I'll take my <1K screen and 10 hours screen time.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Blurp about battery from that Pocketnow article:

Oh! But what if things aren’t equal? More pixels means more power means dead batteries, right? Remember how the explosion in popularity of 1080p absolutely killedbattery life? … me neither. In fact, I get better battery life with my Nexus 5 this year than my Nexus 4 last year.Really, there are two factors to consider: pixel count, and screen size. Now, screen size is a real concern; early 2K displays promise to be phablet-sized, and the larger you get, the more power you’re going to draw. But pixel count? Pixel count – as far as an issue with battery consumption goes – is hugely overrated.It’s very easy to get swept away with this talk of 2K and 2560 x 1440 screens – big numbers, sure – but in a relative sense, it’s just not that big a change.When we moved from 720p displays to 1080p, we’re talking about an increase in pixel count of 125% – more than twice as many pixels.The difference between 1080p and 2K is much more conservative – it’s only an increase of about 78%. By all logic, the switch to 2K should have a comparatively smaller impact on power consumption than the move to 1080p did.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Couldn't have said it better.
My ONLY perceived shortcoming of the X is the screen size. If Lenovo keeps the X's style/direction and adds a 5" 1080p screen to the mix I'll be a repeat customer.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Blurp about battery from that Pocketnow article:

Oh! But what if things aren’t equal? More pixels means more power means dead batteries, right? Remember how the explosion in popularity of 1080p absolutely killedbattery life? … me neither. In fact, I get better battery life with my Nexus 5 this year than my Nexus 4 last year.Really, there are two factors to consider: pixel count, and screen size. Now, screen size is a real concern; early 2K displays promise to be phablet-sized, and the larger you get, the more power you’re going to draw. But pixel count? Pixel count – as far as an issue with battery consumption goes – is hugely overrated.It’s very easy to get swept away with this talk of 2K and 2560 x 1440 screens – big numbers, sure – but in a relative sense, it’s just not that big a change.When we moved from 720p displays to 1080p, we’re talking about an increase in pixel count of 125% – more than twice as many pixels.The difference between 1080p and 2K is much more conservative – it’s only an increase of about 78%. By all logic, the switch to 2K should have a comparatively smaller impact on power consumption than the move to 1080p did.

So taking all those numbers into consideration in order for phone to maintain same battery endurance as previous model it needs to increase its battery size by 78%. As a previous model had battery size of 2600mah, new model needs to have at least 4600mah. As it comes with only 2900mah battery, expect your screen time be significantly reduced.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
So taking all those numbers into consideration in order for phone to maintain same battery endurance as previous model it needs to increase its battery size by 78%. As a previous model had battery size of 2600mah, new model needs to have at least 4600mah. As it comes with only 2900mah battery, expect your screen time be significantly reduced.

I haven't seen anything saying how much more power the pixels draw - power drain may be linear relative to screen size (ignoring other tech improvements to offset), but 2 "smaller" 2k pixels don't draw anything like double the power of a "larger" 720p pixel.

So no idea what the difference really is, but it would have to be incorrect to say 78% more pixels on a 5" screen draw 78% more power than the same size 1080p display. Your lighting up the same surface area, so I think the power drain would come from the CPU/gpu pushing more pixels, and of course CPU usage pales in comparison to display battery drain.

My complete guess would be about 10% more power drain on a 2k display vs. 720p, but if you also increase the display size by 30% then you're talking about a pretty significant increase in power consumption.