Samsung's Galaxy Note 4 is Getting a Faster Version Launched This Week

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-note-4-top-view.jpg

Samsung seems to want to make some "improvements" to their Galaxy Note 4 line. In their native South Korea, Sammy is launching a newer and faster version of the Galaxy Note 4. The phone will be visually identical to the current version, but it's internals will have performance upgrades in the form of a faster Exynos 5433 processor that also supports a new 450Mbps Cat. 9 LTE radio.

The device will launch on SK Telecom their new LTE-A network flagship device. It is unlikely this new & improved Galaxy Note 4 will launch on any other carrier, but we will let you know if it does. It certainly seems like Koreans get all the coolest toys! :)

Source: BGR

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
They always get the coolest stuff! I'm hating.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's it. I'm moving to the Samsung mecca. Somebody tell my fiance.

I made a comment to a friend once that I was going to fly to Vietnam to pick up a Note Edge since that is where they are manufactured.

About a week later he asked me how my trip was lol. Doh!

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Why do countries across seas get the better performing phones? I've always wondered that. Is there some type of restriction over here? I've always noticed that dual cores here are usually quad cores there. (There can be anywhere not America)

My personal blog:
Life Is A Blog - Life Is A Blog Write It
---------
Gold Apple iPhone 5S, 32GIG (AT&T)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Why do countries across seas get the better performing phones? I've always wondered that. Is there some type of restriction over here? I've always noticed that dual cores here are usually quad cores there. (There can be anywhere not America)

My personal blog:
---------

The updated Note will take advantage of their superior networks that do not exist over here.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Elaborate.

My personal blog:
---------

The Americas do not have a Cat 9 network. While our carriers are still upgrading yester year's technologies the rest of the world is steaming ahead. Cat 9 will give a theoretical 450ish Mbps transmit/receive speed of data. We won't see that until our grandchildren are graduating high school.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

My personal blog:
---------

There are a few different reasons depending on what's different about the phone.

With this version of the Note 4, a big reason is because U.S. networks can't take advantage of the advanced LTE contained in the device. Given that, there's no reason to release it here. The U.S. carriers have a much larger area to cover, so they aren't able to update to the latest and greatest network hardware as fast. There are still areas of the U.S. that haven't even been switched over to LTE from 3G yet, so it's a much slower process here. Smaller countries, particularly those that are heavily invested in technology development, have a much easier time upgrading faster. For instance, the entire country of South Korea - which is heavily involved in technology development - is about the size of the state of Indiana. It's easier to update a network when your geographic area is that much smaller versus when you're talking about a larger country like the U.S. This has happened in the past with other devices that have advanced network capabilities that the U.S. carriers don't have implemented.

When it comes to processors (and sometimes other components), a big reason is production capabilities. Samsung (in this instance) isn't able to meet the production demands for a certain type of processor that would be needed to release the phone everywhere. So, they release the phone in certain areas where they can meet demand and outsource processors from other companies where they can't.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I disagree with the American carriers being unable to upgrade on a pace as fast as the rest of the world.

4G is fast enough to stream, do navigation, etc. Why continue to deploy a substandard network when you could just as easily switch to a superior one? Money. They have and will continue to string us along until a law is passed.

They are making millions upon millions of dollars every month.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I disagree with the American carriers being unable to upgrade on a pace as fast as the rest of the world.

4G is fast enough to stream, do navigation, etc. Why continue to deploy a substandard network when you could just as easily switch to a superior one? Money. They have and will continue to string us along until a law is passed.

They are making millions upon millions of dollars every month.

While you're right that a big part of the reason is that they are simply unwilling to upgrade as fast due to cost, the geographic area does play a very large role as well. That's why there are still areas of the U.S. that only have 3G coverage. Being able to claim that their entire network is covered by 4G would be a big advertising tool, one worth the financial cost of getting it done, and all of the major carriers are trying to make it there first. But it takes time and resources to deploy a network over such a large area. Even with the financial resources at the disposal of the major carriers, they're still limited by physical resources and manpower. They can't be building everywhere at the same time. In a small country, you can work on a much larger percentage of your network at once than in a large one.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So at which point do you, as a carrier, say enough is enough? WWe're rolling out 3G! Oh wait look there's 4G! Let's start rolling that out too! At the same time...

Wait a minute! There's LTE!! Let's start rolling that out as well.

We're being snowballed. Sure they have a major hurdle with the shear geographical size of what they are attempting to do, but they have more than enough money to deploy an entire network at one time.

AT&T has 80 million customers. Let's say everyone on that network is paying $60 a month. That's a minimum of $4.8billion monthly they are raking in. The $60 a month is a low ball figure.

tajammul.ali.3

Reaction score
In my country Pakistan; a company called Warid... has Lte which can only be used only on Note 4... nd Alpha... nd Aafcourse i phone 6