Samsung's Chromebook 2 Soon Available for Preorder in Two Sizes

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-chromebook-2-laptop-notebooks-chrome-os-620x413-v1-620x413.jpg

It's been a while since we have seen any news on the Chromebook front. We were beginning to wonder if there would be any new development on the Google laptop alternative. Today's news of Samsung Chromebook 2 preorder availability coming soon puts that doubt to rest. Here's a scoop on the two sizes coming soon:

Chomebook 2 Smaller -
  • 11.6-inch HD 1366 x 768 pixels LED Display
  • 4GB DDR3L System Memory (RAM) at 1600MHz (onboard)
  • 16GB e.MMC iNAND Embedded Flash Drives
  • Exynos 5 Octa processor at 1.9GHz 2MB L2 Cache
  • 720p HD Web Camera
  • 1x HDMI out
  • 1x USB 3.0
  • 1x USB 2.0
  • 1x MicroSD multi-media Card Reader
  • 1x Headphone out/Mic in combo port
  • 1x DC-in for power
Chromebook 2 Larger -
  • 13.3-inch Full HD 1920 x 1080p LED Display
  • 4GB DDR3L System Memory (RAM) at 1600MHz (onboard)
  • 16GB e.MMC iNAND Embedded Flash Drives
  • Exynos 5 Octa processor at 2.1GHz 2MB L2 Cache720p HD Web Camera
  • 1x HDMI out
  • 1x USB 3.0
  • 1x USB 2.0
  • 1x MicroSD multi-media Card Reader
  • 1x Headphone out/Mic in combo port
  • 1x DC-in for power
The 11.6-inch Chromebook 2 will be $319.99 USD and include a Jet Black and Classic White color option, while the larger device retail for $399.99 USD. It will also include a Luminous Titan Gray color. Preorders should be available very soon (if not immediately) and the devices are scheduled to ship in late April, 2014.

Source: SlashGear

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
IMO the prices are way too high. Yes, the original was $279 but for that price, it does what you paid for. But at 319 and 399...you're paying for the name now and that faux leather case. The chromebook strategy was to being low cost devices to the masses....for $400 I'll get a sweet tablet that can do way more.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
....for $400 I'll get a sweet tablet that can do way more.

That's as much if not more power than most tablets out there, and you've got a keyboard. Not seeing tablets as a better value, just different. My tablet collects dust at home while I use my laptop 95% of the time.

Me I'll probably go with the Asus transformer, just so I can have a tablet when I want to use one.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
That's as much if not more power than most tablets out there, and you've got a keyboard. Not seeing tablets as a better value, just different. My tablet collects dust at home while I use my laptop 95% of the time.

Me I'll probably go with the Asus transformer, just so I can have a tablet when I want to use one.

We bought our 8 year old daughter a Chromebook for Christmas to help her learn to type, be able to e-mail family (its monitored, she is 8 after all) and stuff like that. I have found it to be rather limited. I knew it would be but as time goes on, I find more and more things that it can't do and no alternatives to get around those downfalls. Still happy we bought it for her as it is just enough for her to learn about computing but not enough that she will get herself in trouble.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
A laptop should not come with a built in cover, faux or not. This cover makes me gag a little.