Samsung's Breakthrough OLED Displays with 350ppi Will Soon Surpass iPhone Retina

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

Samsung has finally cracked through the barrier that was holding them back with their OLED technology. Previously, it was much more difficult to achieve higher pixel density with OLED tech, than it is with traditional LCD tech, but Samsung's new technology changes that. Their new OLED displays will have a pixel density of 350 pixels per inch, which surpasses the 326ppi in the iPhone Retina display. Having higher pixel density will provide a sharper and more detailed image, while the OLED tech also provides for a brighter image with more contrast, while using less power. There is no word yet, on how soon Samsung will begin using their new technology, but you could probably guess we will start seeing the tech sometime pretty quick.

Source: S3Forums via TalkAndroid

2. justin82

justin82 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +216
    looking forward to this , i cant wait until they bring it to tablet technology. my ipad3 screen is 2nd to none IMO . sadly i use it more than my android tablets

3. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,530
    Current Phone Model:
    Droid Turbo 2
    I wonder if this will be able to be used with their flexible screen that they're supposed to have out around Christmas time?

4. guitarskoota

guitarskoota Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hope they patent this so Apple doesn't swoop in and say they invented 350 ppi first. I'm suprised Apple hasnt just already patent trolled and patented every single ppi amount from 326 up.

5. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +767
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Technically, the screen tech isn't theirs. Their phone is just the only one that uses it. LG makes their screens so I'm betting that tech belongs to LG.

6. sb1831

sb1831 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    In other news, Apple filed suit claiming that they originally developed the technology for 350ppi screens. Internal documents show that on August 3rd 2012, Apple will say that "More pixels is only common sense. We need to patents that. Hell lets patent common sense while were at it."

Search tags for this page

samsung screen breakthrough surpass apple