Samsung's Blazing Fast Ultra High Speed-1 Micro SD Card

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
ultrasdcard.jpeg

Samsung has announced a new line of micro SD cards that will provide record-breaking read and write speeds to smartphones and tablets. The Micro SD cards are targeted at devices with LTE capabilities because of the high performance levels required by high performance LTE devices. The Ultra High Speed-1 (UHS-1) cards will only be offered in 16GB flavors to start. Samsung says that the new cards are capable of reaching 80MB/s read rates, which will get a lot of peoples attention in the tech world. That's nearly 4x faster than the 21MB/s speeds of today's fastest microSD cards. Hows that for speed? The South Korean company says that it plans to offer higher capacity options in the future. With production on the cards beginning last month, it's only a matter of time before we start seeing them hit retail shelves. A few of us in the office will be picking one up as soon as they drop, any other takers?

Source and Image courtesy of Mobile Burn

dfcfu342

Reaction score
The price of other UHS-1 cards in comparison to class-10 cards has been more than enough to turn me off so far and unless they manage to bring it down I honestly don't see myself biting on it.

It's great cutting edge technology but as always, comes at a price. A Kingston 16gb Class 10 card is $18 versus $50+ for the equivalent UHS-1.

Or maybe I'm just cheap haha.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Will Samsung phones come with them preinstalled and bigger than 8 gigs? I'm happy with my Class4 32gig.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Will current phones be able to support this class?

Big Ry

Reaction score
Funny...Sammy develops this sweet new microSD card but my GNex doesn't have a microSD slot :mad:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Funny...Sammy develops this sweet new microSD card but my GNex doesn't have a microSD slot :mad:

Blame Google for that one :cool-b:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Somehow I highly doubt that was Google's doing

*looks at all of Sammys Applesk products to date*

The only Samsung android phones I know of that does not include expandable memory are their two NEXUS phones. All their other ones seem to have them.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
ROMs with Boot Manager will probably run twice as fast on sd then internal memory now lol :happy3:

droidshot®

Reaction score
Man I'm all over this. I can't wait until they hit Verizon. When are they talking about coming?

azules9780

Reaction score
The only Samsung android phones I know of that does not include expandable memory are their two NEXUS phones. All their other ones seem to have them.

Yeah and the reason they don't have them is because supposedly, not having expandable memory makes them faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah and the reason they don't have them is because supposedly, not having expandable memory makes them faster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Well I don't think having the actual option slows the phone down but that they mean that the internal memory is quicker than most cards especially the class 2 cards that usually come with phones

Sent from my evo 3d at 1.8ghz

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't know....I have a Class-6 64gig card in my Rezound and skipping to the next song is nearly instantaneous.

Yeah, it takes a few hours to load up that 64 gigs, but I don't need anything faster, at least not anything faster on read speeds. And while, theoretically, things could bog down at 20mbps+ LTE speeds, in reality most sites don't d/l at anything near that - if you get even 5mbps transfer rates d/ling files you're doing well.

For that matter, with the exception of a handful of sites pushing a lot of HD video content (like a Netflix or Youtube), most websites don't seem to load content at more than 3-5mbps.

52brandon

Reaction score
that's pretty damn cool that they're 4x faster than the class-10 card. But it makes me wonder if the current phones are capable of transferring that fast or if it's something that we wont see any benefit from until down the line