Samsung Working on New 13MP OIS Camera With Greatly Improved Brightness & Stability

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Oct 7, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

According to the latest report directly from Samsung, they are developing a more powerful OIS 13MP camera for their future smartphones. This new camera will supposedly feature much brighter shots and improved stability performance. Specifically, this new camera can correct angular errors up to 1.5 degrees off-target. This is nearly twice the jostling that existing cameras can handle. The new tech will also be able to achieve eight times the brightness level of its predecessor in low-light conditions.

This new camera tech will be coming to market sometime in 2014, and was produced in concert with other unnamed "leading smartphone makers." This likely means it won't be limited to just Samsung devices.

This advancement makes you wonder how long it will be before there is almost no difference between a traditional camera and the camera on a smartphone. Is it possible that will ever happen? Sound off with your expertise.

Source: Engadget

2. GAstorino

GAstorino Active Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I wish with all of these cameras and smartphones they would quit with the megapixel increases as 5-8 megapixels are pefect for 99.9% of the photographs that people take. Unless you are doing posters and wall paper of photos who needs 20, 30 or 40 megapixels when most photos are printed (IF) for 5 x 7 or 8 x 10. Wish they would put all of the technology into making the cameras (1) Faster, (2) Sharper image, (3) BRIGHTER in low light (4) Cut the blur. BAM all of the problems solved.

• Like Like x 4
  3. johnomaz

johnomaz Silver Member

Ratings:
    +760
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel XL
    Couldn't have said it better myself. If you use your smartphone for your primary camera (is your only camera), then you are shooting yourself in the foot all on your own. Its a phone, not a camera. It has the ability to be a substitute for the occassional picture, but come on, we all know 99% of the pictures taken on a smartphone goes on Facebook, and of that, most of them are of girls doing duck face, someone's lunch that no one else wants to see or of a baby doing absolutely nothing to the viewer unless they are the parent that took said picture.

4. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +326
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL & C
    ^ Yep! You know how 99% of people see my photos? On their phones! Need better low light just for starters.

5. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Better optics for starters. Something by Carl Zeiss? Also a decent F-stop would be nice.

from my spanking new Samsung Note 2 now Free

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    Is that the cat that made the lens for the LG Dare phone? Man my Dare takes some nice shots. If it'd had anti shake of any kind it would've been even better, 3.2 mp or not. I still use it for my camera when I go to the beach. I use my Samsung Omnia in its Otterbox Defender case for water shots. At only 5mp it takes some very quality photos, I've gotten many 8x10 prints from it. The anti shake on it hero's write a bit.
    All you need for a very very good 4x6 is 2mp if the rest of the camera doesn't have dime store parts like most phone cameras have.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Noteate

Search tags for this page

13mp 8x10