Samsung Will Offer Developer Edition Galaxy S III with Unlockable Bootloader

welsalex

Reaction score
SquireSCA said:
While I like this, I just don't see the point in paying $600 for a device that will be obsolete in 6 months and doesn't really do more than the phones we already have. I just can't see spending $600 on a phone each year, in addition to the $100+ per month... At the end of the day, is talking and texting worth 2 grand per year?

The phone charges are what they are I guess, but when new top shelf phones come out every 6 months, and it takes 6-12 months for them to even catch up to the current version of the OS, it just seems like a very expensive and losing battle. Other than bragging rights at the next Dragoncon convention, it doesn't seem to have much payoff. haha

The whole reason paying full retail is for those with unlimited data to keep it. Verizon will (attempt) forcing those who "upgrade" there phone at the contract price onto the new shared data plans. For those without unlimited data currently it's almost not worth it to get a retail priced phone.

Im not unlimited so i really don't care. The only thing I have to deal with is my girlfriends line has unlimited so I gotta figure how to keep that.... we both have bionics so we are set for a couple years at least. Maybe things will change by then.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
While I like this, I just don't see the point in paying $600 for a device that will be obsolete in 6 months and doesn't really do more than the phones we already have. I just can't see spending $600 on a phone each year, in addition to the $100+ per month... At the end of the day, is talking and texting worth 2 grand per year?

The phone charges are what they are I guess, but when new top shelf phones come out every 6 months, and it takes 6-12 months for them to even catch up to the current version of the OS, it just seems like a very expensive and losing battle. Other than bragging rights at the next Dragoncon convention, it doesn't seem to have much payoff. haha

I'm with you on this one, while I'd love to have a new computer every six months it's just not worth what it would cost, same with phones. I think I'm personally going to hold out and see if the devs can't unlock the non developer edition. I do certainly like that Samsung is basically giving the middle finger to VZW though.

Sent from my frozenly delicious bionic.

skennelly

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, while I'd love to have a new computer every six months it's just not worth what it would cost, same with phones. I think I'm personally going to hold out and see if the devs can't unlock the non developer edition. I do certainly like that Samsung is basically giving the middle finger to VZW though.

Agreed, but the main reason (imo) that vzw locks the phone is to force you to upgrade. A locked phone has an EOL date and no longer gets updated versions of the OS. If you want the latest software, you need the latest phone. If/when you upgrade, you would rather pay $200 for a phone vs. $600. Now they can force you into the plan that benefits them. Just look at how many people are still rocking the OG DROID. For God's sake, I believe they have ICS. I think it pisses VZW off to think people still use that phone and have not renewed there contract. I had planned to do this with my SGS 3 until VZW screwed us with the bootloader. Eventually the EOL for this phone will come and go and I'll be stuck on whatever os until I upgrade to a new phone. This is exactly why I was going to get the Nexus, but thought "no, the SGS 3 has better hardware and will be capable of new OS updates longer than the Nexus will." Oops :(

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
The pricing scheme is ridiculous. There's no reason both the Rezound and Nexus should still be $649. Actually no reason that they ever should have been that much. The Rezound is $450 new-in-box from a few sites and the Nexus, albeit GSM, is only $349 direct from Google. If anyone on our plan switches off of unlimited that we have now the least we're looking at is around $35 more per month on the bill so upgrades make zero sense. Buying a phone directly from Verizon doesn't make sense either. These wireless carriers are going to price themselves right out of their stronghold on customers. I can tell you that if they ever force us off of Unlimited I'll just have to go to Straight Talk, T-Mobile, or an AT&T plan with $15/month data net. I survived with a dumbphone before, so if I have to accept that I only get Wifi when on high-speed so be it. Sorry to go off on a tangent but these carriers have lost their minds.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but the main reason (imo) that vzw locks the phone is to force you to upgrade. A locked phone has an EOL date and no longer gets updated versions of the OS. If you want the latest software, you need the latest phone. If/when you upgrade, you would rather pay $200 for a phone vs. $600. Now they can force you into the plan that benefits them. Just look at how many people are still rocking the OG DROID. For God's sake, I believe they have ICS. I think it pisses VZW off to think people still use that phone and have not renewed there contract. I had planned to do this with my SGS 3 until VZW screwed us with the bootloader. Eventually the EOL for this phone will come and go and I'll be stuck on whatever os until I upgrade to a new phone. This is exactly why I was going to get the Nexus, but thought "no, the SGS 3 has better hardware and will be capable of new OS updates longer than the Nexus will." Oops :(

*Sent from my Galaxy to yours through tapatalk

Have they found out if it's locked AND encrypted or just locked. Maybe this dev version will give a hint to unlocking it.

I stopped buying my phones at vzw stores a while ago, i go to bestbuy or online... I either never pay VZW full price for a phone I'd find it online so.

I'm still enjoying my bionic, i just really like the size of the sgs3.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The whole reason paying full retail is for those with unlimited data to keep it. Verizon will (attempt) forcing those who "upgrade" there phone at the contract price onto the new shared data plans. For those without unlimited data currently it's almost not worth it to get a retail priced phone.

Im not unlimited so i really don't care. The only thing I have to deal with is my girlfriends line has unlimited so I gotta figure how to keep that.... we both have bionics so we are set for a couple years at least. Maybe things will change by then.

How pissed are those people going to be when they pay full retail, and 6 months later VZW takes away their Unlimited plans?

Every prediction I have made about the Unlimited plans so far, has been right on the money. They are going away, sooner rather than later, whether you pay full retail or not, whether you make a change to your plan or not, etc...

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
How pissed are those people going to be when they pay full retail, and 6 months later VZW takes away their Unlimited plans?

Every prediction I have made about the Unlimited plans so far, has been right on the money. They are going away, sooner rather than later, whether you pay full retail or not, whether you make a change to your plan or not, etc...

When the day arrives that unlimited data is no more, those of us who have purchased a device at an unsubsidized price will simply sell it and move to another carrier. Hopefully by then the other providers will have networks that have caught up to Verizon's range and robustness. I personally won't be pissed at all, and I think you are correct in that unlimited data will be going away eventually for everyone. I'm just counting on the competition getting better by then so when I leave, it's not too much of an adjustment.

loki993

Reaction score

"that phone is not eligible for the plan you are currently on" Anyone remember that line? I do...

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
trestevenson said:
When the day arrives that unlimited data is no more, those of us who have purchased a device at an unsubsidized price will simply sell it and move to another carrier. Hopefully by then the other providers will have networks that have caught up to Verizon's range and robustness. I personally won't be pissed at all, and I think you are correct in that unlimited data will be going away eventually for everyone. I'm just counting on the competition getting better by then so when I leave, it's not too much of an adjustment.

I agree I could careless about unlimited. The issue I have With Verizon is their devices aren't always on par with the competition. They still tote the Droid brand like its still at the top of the android world and we know its not. When the competition service becomes better I'll probably say goodbye to Verizon as well. I wish they read forums lol.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The expression is, "I couldn't care less"... LOL

It amazes me how many people get such a common expression incorrect. haha

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
SquireSCA said:
The expression is, "I couldn't care less"... LOL

It amazes me how many people get such a common expression incorrect. haha

Take that to the grammar and expression forums. Oh it amazes me oh blah blah.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
SquireSCA said:
So you care enough to use the phrase, but you are too lazy to at least say it correctly? LOL

I didn't know I was being graded excuse me.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Take that to the grammar and expression forums. Oh it amazes me oh blah blah.

You're just upset that he's correct. I could care less implies you care a great deal about said item. Henceforth the term I couldn't (conjunctive form of could not) care less indeed means you could give a flying eff in the proverbial rolling donut.

Maybe I should visit the grammar forum a well?