Samsung Will Offer Developer Edition Galaxy S III with Unlockable Bootloader

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images

This is good news and then at the same time it is really bad news. I am glad that Samsung has decided to step up to the plate here and offer a developer friendly option. The main issue that I have with this is that thousands have already preordered their phone. Some of those who preordered have already received and activated said phone. Also this version will run you $599 and there is no subsidized option through Verizon you will have to purchase this directly from Samsung. The overwhelming majority of people won’t purchase this version. This just proves that the locked bootloader was Verizon’s decision. The best scenario would be to issue an unlocking tool for all devices with the understanding that you would be voiding your warranty. I am an adult let me make the decision!
Sound off below what are your thoughts. Will you be ponying up the $600 for the developer version, or are you going to rely on the development community to hopefully come up with a workaround?

More info Via DroidModderX.com Via Engadget

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Looks like I'm buying an S3 afterall. Developer edition it is. :happy:

welsalex

Reaction score
Just gonna go kevin mitnick and make my way into the building as a parcel service guy to hijack a terminal and copy the bootloader unlock software.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Just gonna go kevin mitnick and make my way into the building as a parcel service guy to hijack a terminal and copy the bootloader unlock software.

hahahaha :D

skennelly

Reaction score
This is either Samsung's payback for vzw trying to throw them under the bus about the locked bootloader, or Samsung's way of throwing us a bone and hopefully there is a key to unlocking all devices in the dev phone

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Good then you can just send me your GNEX since you'll have no use for it ;-)

Sent from my UK Blue Xparent Tapatalk

lol Brian :p

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would love to own it for about half the price :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would love to own it for about half the price :(

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Ya, I put away the money for a subsidized phone, but I don' thave the money for a full priced one. Too bad there isn't a trade in program or something.

I'm curious, if I bought the phone outright from VZW...would they unlock it since its my hardware now and not subsidized?

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Craziest thing I've read today. Verizon is full of ****. Kudos to Samsung but it shouldn't even come to that. They should not have to make separate devices to work on the same "network" That Verizon doesn't want unauthorized software on. Facepalm!!!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
...The best scenario would be to issue an unlocking tool for all devices with the understanding that you would be voiding your warranty. I am an adult let me make the decision!...
I'm sorry but the RUoV (Responsible Users of Verizon) cannot permit you to do this. If any phone owner could unlock their bootloader, they would unleash a world of hurt not only on their phone, but obviously destroy the beautiful user experience for thousands if not millions of other Verizon Wireless customers. Not to mention the INSANE amounts of bandwidth they will consume with their illegal, out-of-control, modified phones. There is no way that surrendering your warranty could mitigate that kind of damage.

Er, um...at least...that's Verizon's argument against unlocked bootloaders, right? ;)

-Matt

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I'm sorry but the RUoV (Responsible Users of Verizon) cannot permit you to do this. If any phone owner could unlock their bootloader, they would unleash a world of hurt not only on their phone, but obviously destroy the beautiful user experience for thousands if not millions of other Verizon Wireless customers. Not to mention the INSANE amounts of bandwidth they will consume with their illegal, out-of-control, modified phones. There is no way that surrendering your warranty could mitigate that kind of damage.

Er, um...at least...that's Verizon's argument against unlocked bootloaders, right? ;)

-Matt

This made me lol.

They (Sammy) should at least offer a swap to the people who have already bought and received their phone that want to do that.

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
does anyone know if the developer version might possibly come with the quad LTE like korea? (just a thought)