Samsung Unveils Their 8-Core 'Octa-Chip' Exynos 5 at CES

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Jan 9, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

So far this year, there have not been any huge or terribly exciting announcements at CES with a few exceptions (like NVIDIA's Tegra 4 and Project Shield). For the most part the products have been a small evolutionary step rather than a massive leap forward, although we are pretty impressed by how much evolution we have seen in the Huawei Ascend D2. However, coming down the pike this morning is a pretty impressive jump that comes directly from Samsung. They just announced their Exynos 5 "Octa-Chip" which is literally an eight-core mobile processor. Here's a quote with what we know so far:

If you remember, previously we shared some intel regarding this new tech, and we even suggested it was likely to be launched at CES in 2013; however, even though it doesn't come as a surprise, it is still mightily impressive to see the big.LITTLE / Cortex A15 architecture finally come to light officially. We will keep watching this and update you with anymore details as they develop.

Source: Engadget
  2. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Now this is something to get excited about...maybe. Memory cache is also a big deal for horsepower, and so I wonder how these compare to laptop chips. Mainly one beef I have is noticeable lag on mobile devices over the same wifi as compared to a PC. Perhaps it's the website you are contacting taking longer to load a mobile version. I don't know, but clearly the chips are getting WAAAAYYYYYY ahead of the software.
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Be a nice chipset for a tablet.
    1 person likes this.
  4. PereDroid

PereDroid Well-Known Member

Overkill...
  5. acousticshade

acousticshade New Member

I wouldn't say its overkill. Sounds like speed coupled with efficiency to me. Besides when have computer geeks ever shouted 'slow those new CPU's down!'
  6. pc747

Samsung 8 core chip may be a sign of oem aiming to make tablets add powerful (if not more powerful) than laptop computers. Stats show people bought more tablets than laptops last year. And if companies like Asus can package dual boot tablets (windows and android) in a smaller convenient size this could be the direction technology goes for 2013. We are not too far off from seeing powerful gaming tablets as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
  7. sweeeeet

sweeeeet Well-Known Member

samsung.. I applaud you

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  8. diablo81588

diablo81588 New Member

Don't get ahead of yourself, these mobile chips are a LONG way from matching x64 performance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
  9. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That's my question. I get excited when I hear "8 core, 2ghz" but how does that really compare to the PC chips?
  10. pc747

I think it is a matter of time. We are seeing more chip manufacturers throw their hat in the ring. Do I think we will see a tablet match the power of like an alienware...no not yet but as more demand shift toward tablets you will see a company (or companies) attempt to bring a power close to that to the tablet game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2