Samsung unveils Galaxy Note - a new 5.3-inch, dual-core phone with a SuperAMOLED HD

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
GALAXY_Note_fr%2C_ba_610x473.jpg

Samsung announced the Galaxy Note today, adding a new size category to its already broad range of Android devices. The Galaxy Note is basically a very large smartphone, though, with a 5.3-inch screen and Android 2.3, aka Gingerbread, which is designed for phones, not tablets. Samsung announced the Galaxy Note at the IFA electronics show in Berlin, Germany.

" Samsung said. "It combines core on-the-go benefits of various mobile devices while maintaining smartphone portability to create a whole new user experience."

One novelty with the Galaxy Note: it comes with:

• A stylus called the S Pen
  • Another nice feature is the ability to take screenshots. That's something that should be standard with Android, but that's unfortunately almost entirely missing. Samsung also added the ability to the Galaxy S II Android phone it announced this week.
Hardware specs include:

• A dual-core 1.4GHz processor
  • Super AMOLED screen
  • 8-megapixel main camera that can record 1080p video
  • 2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 802.11 b/g/n support for Wi-Fi, and HSPA+ 21Mbps 850/900/1900/2100 mobile network support.
Samsung didn't detail price or availability. One thing it'll have to reckon with beside the usual matters of component supplies and retail relationships, though, is Apple's patent-related legal actions that are hampering Samsung's Android work.

Source

Last edited:

grinchy

Reaction score
next thing ya know we are gonna have phones the size of nooks up to our ears...

nikecar

Reaction score
Marketing Departing Discussion:

Joe: You know Bob, we never make anything for giants.
Bob: Yes we do, its called a tablet.
Joe: No, those are for supergiants. Giants are smaller.
Bob: Ok, then how about this product, we'll call it the Galaxy Note.

loki993

Reaction score
Is that a Note in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?

Were way beyond that now. Put it on your belt so everyone can see how big your phone is. Hell maybe we should start wearing them as belt buckles like cowboys do.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I would totally buy one. I use the phone so rarely. My DX is mostly a mini computer. Plus, I have a bluetooth headset so even when I do use the phone, its not up against my ear. I have large pockets and would love to have that phone in them. Lets hope the stats are terrible and the software isn't rubbish on it. Or at least let me put CM7 on the thing.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Am I the only one who notices that we seem to be moving in the wrong direction with regards to physical phone development? Is this a gag phone? Did they make this for people with cataracts? I wonder if we'll see Flavor Flav wearing this around his neck any time soon. Maybe they'll feature this phone in the next Hulk movie. "Galaxy Note - Rule All Tablets." Maybe they think carrying your phone in a pocket is out of fashion and are trying to revive the fanny pack.

...Ok, just figured I'd get my three cents of ridicule in. On a serious note - phone manufacturers? Chill on the phone size and come back a notch. If we want a bigger screen, I'm sure we'll buy a tablet. Four inches is plenty!...That's not what she said.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I feel like technology is going back to ancient times. First phones were humungous, then they became thin and slick, and now back to giant devices.

loki993

Reaction score
I would totally buy one. I use the phone so rarely. My DX is mostly a mini computer. Plus, I have a bluetooth headset so even when I do use the phone, its not up against my ear. I have large pockets and would love to have that phone in them. Lets hope the stats are terrible and the software isn't rubbish on it. Or at least let me put CM7 on the thing.

Its not about using the phone for me, I dont use mine a lot either. Its about having to carry that huge thing around everywhere. Again though thats just me. I guess I can see how some people would benifit from it. I just hope this isnt a trend to the norm.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Love it! This will have to pass the pocket test for me tho. Good thing I'm a pretty big guy!

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
As aperson that does a lot of remote support the screen size would be awesome for a remote desktop or VNC, the killer would be accessories.

No car dock to keep it handy for gps and it 's still the bionic, vigor, etc. A lot of choices coming up within the next couple of months. They killed the idea of a lapdock for the bionic though on the pricepoint of it though.

Interesting times with a lot of choices coming up in the next couple of months.dancedroid