Samsung Tops Apple in Customer Satisfaction Index in 2014

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-chrome-sign-ces-2014.jpg

Here's a bit of end of year news that it is rather surprising. For the first time, Samsung has topped Apple in the American Consumer Satisfaction Index performed by the University of Michigan. Samsung may have lost a great deal of marketshare this year, as well as 60% profit in the last quarter, it looks like Samsung customers where still happier overall with the experience they had with their smartphones.

Here's a quote with the details,

The 2014 Index covered 230 different brands and was the result of data collected in approximately 70,000 interviews with U.S. consumers.

Narrowing focus to just cell phone makers, the study showed an interesting changing of the guard in 2014 that will come as a surprise to some industry watchers.

Despite this year’s release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, which combined to make up the biggest cell phone launch in history with more than 10 million units sold through the end of their debut weekend, Apple earned a customer satisfaction score of 79 out of 100, dropping 2.5% from the 81 it scored in 2013.

Meanwhile, Samsung’s customer satisfaction score jumped to 81 in 2014, up 6.6% from 76 last year.

What do you think of studies like this? Are the metrics valuable? If you are a Samsung fan out there, sound off and let us know what you think of your experience with them.

Source: BGR

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
70,000 interviews seem above normal for any type of survey. I do find the results interesting.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
70,002 reporting in. Samsung keeps me happy.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Actually like Samsung devices, though ill admit I have found a better experience with Motorola radios. What I like about Samsung is they keep pushing. Yeah they try to stay conservative with the design language of their galaxy s and note devices but they have no problem taking a big swing with devices like the alpha (or what I would call the iPhone clone) or edge knowing they can take what they learned and apply it to future devices.
Now we just need for Apple to pick itself off the mat and fight back. Go Apple... for a strong Apple equates to a strong rivalry and stronger Android devices.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not a bg Samsung fan but I appreciate what they bring to the table. I like what pc747 said: they aren't afraid to just throw s*** at the wall and see what sticks. Sometimes it works: Note. Sometimes it doesn't: Edge.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hate the crap out of the Sammy I have currently. Resets and freezes multiple times per week, horrible lag, and tons of problems with it not being able to handle running apps, adding attachments, etc when the internal memory gets low, which I'm at a loss to. Internal memory, SD cards, and RAM are three separate items last I checked. Anyway, I despise it. My mom has had the picture deletion issue on her S5. On top of that the loveliness that is KNOX makes me plan to stay far, far away from Samsung for the foreseeable future.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-chrome-sign-ces-2014.jpg

Here's a bit of end of year news that it is rather surprising. For the first time, Samsung has topped Apple in the American Consumer Satisfaction Index performed by the University of Michigan. Samsung may have lost a great deal of marketshare this year, as well as 60% profit in the last quarter, it looks like Samsung customers where still happier overall with the experience they had with their smartphones.

Here's a quote with the details,

What do you think of studies like this? Are the metrics valuable? If you are a Samsung fan out there, sound off and let us know what you think of your experience with them.

Source: BGR
I can see that.
As satisfaction with a product goes up the desire/need to buy another decreases.
Chevrolet stopped making the Nova back in the day because owners were keeping them a lot longer, they were in essence too durable and comfortable, cutting into the auto makers sales and profits.
Customers seem overall satisfied with the previous S series devices so why upgrade to a majorly expensive device that isn't majorly better when what they have now is just fine. It's been a scenario since the S3.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I can see that.
As satisfaction with a product goes up the desire/need to buy another decreases.
Chevrolet stopped making the Nova back in the day because owners were keeping them a lot longer, they were in essence too durable and comfortable, cutting into the auto makers sales and profits.
Customers seem overall satisfied with the previous S series devices so why upgrade to a majorly expensive device that isn't majorly better when what they have now is just fine. It's been a scenario since the S3.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
Damn... The downfall of the Nova was its greatest asset...durability. And so it's the American way, capitalism at its finest. Smh.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Bowzerbird

Reaction score
And I have friends who junked their iPhone and tablets for Samsung products. Me, I'm Samsung all the way. Love my s5 and Galaxy tablet. And my new 46" TV. Samsung rules

Bowzerbird

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Not a bg Samsung fan but I appreciate what they bring to the table. I like what pc747 said: they aren't afraid to just throw s*** at the wall and see what sticks. Sometimes it works: Note. Sometimes it doesn't: Edge.
I would agree except I know two whole people that are dying to get an Edge!

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
That's really not the point. The point is, Samsung isn't afraid to take chances and that's how they've been able to remain successful for so many years. The majority of folks who don't like this device are usually people who haven't spent much, if any, hands on time with it. All the videos I've watched regarding the Edge have been well received, but your average user isn't about spending 700+ on a device they aren't "familiar" with.
People SAY they want "change/innovation" but when it comes down to it, they really don't. Overall people hate change, that's one of the reasons we continue to use the same launcher, keyboard, apps, hardware, etc that we've been using for years. IMO, we're simply more comfortable with what's "familiar".

S5 tap'n

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's really not the point. The point is, Samsung isn't afraid to take chances and that's how they've been able to remain successful for so many years. The majority of folks who don't like this device are usually people who haven't spent much, if any, hands on time with it. All the videos I've watched regarding the Edge have been well received, but your average user isn't about spending 700+ on a device they aren't "familiar" with.
People SAY they want "change/innovation" but when it comes down to it, they really don't. Overall people hate change, that's one of the reasons we continue to use the same launcher, keyboard, apps, hardware, etc that we've been using for years. IMO, we're simply more comfortable with what's "familiar".

S5 tap'n
I don't mind change as long as it works. To use the Edge as an example, if the developers don't support the concept it'll turn out to be just a gimmick by Samsung.
With ios, the developers can only use the innovation inside the walled garden but with Android the developers can not only enhance and enrich the garden but can actually add innovation that takes things a step forward. Most of the really cool stuff we have on our devices as stock now were an aftermarket app/widget at some point by somebody that got assimilated into the os. The Edge can either follow that same path or not, depending on what the developers do with it.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Reactions: cr6