Breaking News Samsung To Launch A Refurbished Galaxy Note 7

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
1485156562_750_samsung-fire-galaxy-note-7-caused-by-two-different-problems-with-batteries.jpg

According to ZDNet Korea Samsung will market newly refurbished Galaxy Note 7"s .

According to the report, Samsung has some 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7s left over after using 20,000 or so up in testing to determine the cause of the problem. The refurbished devices will have new cases, and batteries with a capacity between 3,000 and 3,200mAh (the phones initially contained a 3,500mAh battery). Reuters reported last month that the sale of refurbs is a possibility, and ZDNet Korea says it will also help the company avoid trouble with the government over junking all of the unused and returned phones.

It doesn't sound like the devices will be returning to US or European markets due to recall regulations, but they could be sold in India or Vietnam instead.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Depending on the refurbished price, I would get one. It's too bad they won't be available to the US.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Doesn't necessarily have to available in the US to get one.
I'm sure they will be all over eBay..

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Doesn't necessarily have to available in the US to get one.
I'm sure they will be all over eBay..
What do you think it would take to get one to work on Verizon? It actually may be worth having one as a wifi only device.

OP
Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
What do you think it would take to get one to work on Verizon? It actually may be worth having one as a wifi only device.

I don't recall the radio configuration. Do you remember if it is both GSM and CDMA. I can't imagine Sammy being stuck with millions of CDMA units. I'm thinking the cost to replace radios may be prohibitive.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm sure they must have both GSM & CDMA. Things may have changed but in the past I've had problems trying to activate unlocked phones on Verizon. It's been a few years since I've tried though.

kjumper187

Reaction score
DAMN! I got so excited about this. Then the whole, not in US line killed me. But, during this whole read, I thought about the fact that they are still BANNED from flights...

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
The US carriers would still probably find a way to keep them off their networks too.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
We still have airlines putting out memos that Note 7 devices are not allowed on airplanes. When I checked my parents in online that was one of the warnings right next to liquids.

They will have to rename the device completely or partner with Google and call it the Samsung Galaxy Nexus 2.

Edit: just read the last part of Jeffrey's post.

Not gonna happen in the US. But if they wanted to then my above idea applies.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
At the right price I'd definitely buy it again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
At this point would it not be more beneficial to wait, Samsung will be shrinking the battery and kicking out a device they do not intend to support. For a company that is already slow with updates and with having to get updates via OTA, it just seems more of a rip off to purchase this device for any reason. Especially considering the 8 will be clearly better and will likely take on the look of the S8.
i just have the feeling that the note 7 will be treated like the Galaxy J phones where it is meant for the low to mid-end market where updates (or lack there of) is not a big deal.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
It's Not like the S7-Edge has had any real updates on Verizon, they keep talking about it, yet hasn't occurred, and that's not a huge issue if the price is right.

shockracer

Reaction score
It's Not like the S7-Edge has had any real updates on Verizon, they keep talking about it, yet hasn't occurred, and that's not a huge issue if the price is right.

I'm not even expecting any updates by the time the Note 8 comes out, so it makes no difference to me too.

Plus, if it miraculously was available on VZW it would be cut rate. After the whole ordeal, our replacement phones aren't under a contract so we can trade them in when ever we want and get remaining value for them.