Samsung Supposedly Had Disappointing Galaxy S6 Sales

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s6-exquisitely-crafted-desktop.jpg

Contrary to many previous news reports stating the Galaxy S6 was selling like crazy, a new report suggests that Sammy's newest flagship actually hasn't sold very well, and analysts predict that Samsung shareholders will be disappointed with the results.

Apparently, the situation is that Samsung's profit in the second quarter is actually up by 22% compared to the first quarter of this year, but that was before market analysts compared it to the same profit this time last year. Supposedly, Samsung Mobile's profit dropped 24% year-over-year from Q2 2014. The cause for this drop in profit was directly attributed to lower than expected Galaxy S6 sales.

The report indicates that Samsung and industry analysts will be looking to see if the Galaxy S6 EDGE Plus and the upcoming Galaxy Note 5 will be able to pull the company back into the growth category. What do you think is Samsung's biggest problem?

Here are a couple of Samsung forum sections for further discussion:
Source: Anticipated Sales Decrease Samsung LG Increasingly Concerned about Next Smartphone Specs BusinessKorea

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me. People want expandable memory and/or removeable battery

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do I think their biggest problem is. The S6 is an S6 with sealed back. A close second is their reputation for abandonment soon after the sale, before the next one is even released.
I think their biggest problem though is their cheap imitation of Apple . Having their own this and that that gets no support to developers, customer service lacks and I revisit their half hearted way of of treating everything over 6 months old from its release date. It's like they want to be Apple without putting in the work. Tizen is a perfect example. They released 1 phone model that didn't have Android and it failed miserably not because the os sucked but because they didn't support it or developers interested in developing for it. I'm online buddies with a developer for their watches and he had the same complaint about a lack of give a hoot attitude by them toward watch app developers. It's like they just don't even care.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

kinfolk248

Reaction score
1) drop that physical home button on the front.
2) drop touchpiss, I mean touchwiz
3) loosen the chains a little...you know what i mean by that one, if not then get off a dev site lol lol

MikeS1971

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G4
Precisely why I also typed it from a G4 ;-)

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Same for me too. I just bought a G4 because of the lack of removable battery and memory on the S6. I had a Note 2 since the day it was released and would of liked to stay with Samsung. Its also funny how LG is playing on Samsung's lack of removable memory and battery right now. Their current promotion is a free extra battery, charger and memory card if you buy a G4.

And you know the S6 had to of been in development while the whole "Wall Hugger" campaign was being advertised.

Reactions: cr6

Kmcgee1992

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S6
Twitter
@kmcgee1992
I personally don't understand why sales would be so low, I know alot of people moan about the Glalaxy line no longer having a removable battery and no more expandable memory, but personally I was able to see past these problems, and got myself one. With cloud data becoming more popular, the majority of my photo's are stored on Dropbox rather than taking up space on my device. I honestly prefer the new design over the previous Galaxy "plasticy" backs, the phone now has a much more premium feel, and if you look after your battery properly, there should be no reason to have to change the battery, especially with the S6 coming quick charging as standard. To me, this device feels like a massive step in the right direction for Samsung. Just me?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's not just about a "premium feel". The S5 is better than the S6 in many other areas than just the removable battery & sd card. It boots up faster, battery lasts longer, has IP67 waterproof rating, and many features that the S6 left out. That said, the S6 does excel in many areas over the S5, but looking at everything on a whole, Samsung changed this device so drastically, people felt they went too far and tried too hard to copy the iPhone. While there's no denying the S6 is a great device, these are the main reasons why the S6 didn't sell all that well.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't think it has to do with any of those reasons. People simply aren't jumping on the upgrade train with every new phone release anymore.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
People haven't been doing that for the past 3 years, moreso the past 2. But that still leaves S3/S4 owners and every Moto device ever made. LOL! j/k
The fact is, people wanted change so Samsung gave them a "changed" device.... not necessarily a "better" device.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
When every tech site is doing their best to slander your products continually for using less than premium materials in the manufacturing process...and then you switch to what they have all been crying for...only to then get hammered by those very same nay sayers must be frustrating.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree. The problem is, most Samsung owners didn't have a problem with the "plasticky" feel. Simply because they knew these devices held up well. It was iPhone owners and other device owners that had a problem with it. They changed it and people STILL didn't buy it....Which should now prove to Samsung that they should stick to "what works".
(Which we'll see for sure with the release of the S7)

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll be interested to see how VZW doing away with subsidies affects phone sales. I'd have to imagine that even fewer people will want to upgrade in shorter time frames if we've got to pay full price for every one...Though, I just came off unlimited data last year, so there could still be people like me who got used to paying full price for a phone back then that might still want to do so to keep from getting frustrated with an older device.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. The problem is, most Samsung owners didn't have a problem with the "plasticky" feel. Simply because they knew these devices held up well. It was iPhone owners and other device owners that had a problem with it. They changed it and people STILL didn't buy it....Which should now prove to Samsung that they should stick to "what works".
(Which we'll see for sure with the release of the S7)

S5 tap'n
When's the last time you saw a Samsung phone or iPhone not in some sort of case?
Maybe others see it regularly but the only nekkid phones I ever see anymore are burner type phones.
What's inside isn't changeable. What's skinning the innards is an easy, and well used, solution and I think Samsung didn't put that into their thinking by going premium outer. They can mage the darn thing out of carbon fiber, titanium, glass or plastic I'm putting a cover on it because none of them grip worth a flip.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4