Samsung Spent a Ridiculous Sum of Money on Advertising in 2013

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
art_moneywheelbarrow.jpg

We know that headline is what drew your attention, so we are going to jump straight to the number you want to read: $4.6 Billion dollars (4.89 trillion won). That's the astounding sum that Samsung spent on advertising and promotions throughout the globe last year for all of their products. Compare this to last year when they spent $2.2 billion, (2.37 trillion won), which was already a titanic sum, and you can see the massive marketing power Samsung is leveraging across our little planet.

There are some interesting figures hidden within these numbers. First, much of these numbers have been shifted around a bit. Samsung actually spent more money on sales promotions like rebates, coupons and other incentives, this time than it did on straight advertising. This shifts the savings directly to the consumer, which is something to be appreciative about. Here's a quote with more of the details,

For just the two first quarters of 2013, Samsung Electronics spent a whopping 934 billion won ($888 million) on sales promotions, up 38.7% from a year earlier, and another 1.71 trillion won ($661 million, down 60%) on advertising in its home country of South Korea alone.

These figures also offer up a stark vision of just how tough it is for any of Samsung's competition to get ahead against them. Just like the person with the most chips at the Poker table, Samsung can afford to drive the direction of the entire game. Even if you are a fan of Samsung, it's not hard to see that this isn't necessarily a good thing. Competition is ultimately important for the market to thrive. What do you think it will take for anyone else to gain market traction against this behemoth?

Source: PhoneArena

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
and it paid off...BIG. When people, aka your average consumer, want an Android device what do they pick up or look to first? Yup.....that's right. SAMSUNG

NOVICE

Reaction score
Watched the Radio City Music Hall intro of the Galaxy 4.

Without exaggeration, the worst public relations event I've ever witnessed.

But I'm addicted to Note series regardless. What can I say.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Between failing to get the Note 3 Dev edition out in decent numbers at release and putting hush orders on people whose houses they almost burned down I just can't bring myself to buy anything Samsung just yet.

Hasoffer

Reaction score
Yeah ! Samsung's ad is everywhere. and if you want change your phone,what comes to your eyes first ? Samsung is there. and its ads has created a cool and fancy image for its products. lots people buy samsung because they think Samsung is cool. why? ads happens.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
the numbers aren't nearly as shocking or impressive when given in USD ($4.7 billion)...the US govt spends more than twice that EVERY DAY.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung is on top because of Apple. All those lawsuits globally gave then exposure they'd have never gotten with commercials, billboards, etc.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)

MotoXGirl

Reaction score
I loved my S4 but once I got my Moto X I realized how sucky I had it with my Samsung. lol