Samsung Smart Switch Makes Changing Over To A New Phone Painless

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Everyone loves a new phone. The only bummer when buying a new phone is getting it all set up. This used to be a major headache on earlier versions of Android and even spurred apps like Titanium backup which allowed you to backup your phone's apps and data, transfer that info to an sdcard and then restore on your new device. The only issue with apps like Titanium backup is that they require root. Android 5.0 has some makes restoring data a little bit easier for devices that have built in NFC. The only drawback is that Android's restore service only works for data that has been backed up in the cloud.

Samsung has just released their backup and restore solution which will make restoring all the data from your old phone over to your new Samsung Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge painless. Of course it will even work to go from a Galaxy device to any other device as well. One of the standout features here is that it will even restore data and apps from iOS devices to your new Android device! To move your files over to your new device just download the app to your old phone, once it grabs all information it will give you pairing instructions.

On iOS devices you will to grab the desktop version of Smart Switch to grab data from itunes or icloud. The desktop app then prepares files for your Samsung device and gives you instructions to transfer them over. Whether coming from Android or iOS you will be able to chose the files you want to send over. The app is pretty thorough being able to backup and restore contacts, call logs, text messages, photos, wifi info and even your alarm clock settings. If you are looking to switch to or from a Samsung Galaxy device head to the link below for the app download.

via Play Store

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
This app was actually released a year ago. The improvements made to it in the last month or so make it so much better! For an iPhone, if you don't use iCloud, you will need an OTG cable to connect the devices. Previously, you could connect to the computer.
When the app originated, Motorola devices were unable to download the app. When you are transferring from a non-Samsung Android device, it will not give you all of the items to transfer, like apps, text messages, settings, for example.
With the latest update on the app, it automatically transfers your apps without using a data connection. I think that's pretty awesome :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sure am glad that lollipop will copy device configuration, apps, and etc from a backed up device from the cloud or via NFC now. Great addition by Google.

StormyHeather

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S21
Twitter
GAPeachHeather
I used Smart Switch just this past Sunday to move from my S4 to my brand spankin' new S6 and it was FABULOUS! I was able to move all my text messages which I've never been able to do before. You can select what you want to move and what you do not want to move. It took about 5 minutes or so to move everything. I downloaded the app to my S4 before going to the VZW store. I would highly recommend using this app. HIGHLY recommend.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Sure am glad that lollipop will copy device configuration, apps, and etc from a backed up device from the cloud or via NFC now. Great addition by Google.

It does not always work. Out of the 10 S6 phones I have sold this month, none of them worked with NFC transfer from Google

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It does not always work. Out of the 10 S6 phones I have sold this month, none of them worked with NFC transfer from Google

They probably broke it on purpose to push their app on people. :p I was lucky enough that my Note 4 synced my apps with Google after the Lollipop update, so I was able to re-download them quickly.

I've never been one to feel the need to save any texts, so it doesn't bother me to lose them, especially when switching to a new device. Clears out the cobwebs. I know people with legitimate reasons to want to save certain messages, but, imo, if it's that important, you should get a better record of it than a text message...

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
They probably broke it on purpose to push their app on people. :p I was lucky enough that my Note 4 synced my apps with Google after the Lollipop update, so I was able to re-download them quickly.

I've never been one to feel the need to save any texts, so it doesn't bother me to lose them, especially when switching to a new device. Clears out the cobwebs. I know people with legitimate reasons to want to save certain messages, but, imo, if it's that important, you should get a better record of it than a text message...

When I have people log into their Google account sometimes it will prompt to restore from backup. But you are supposed to be able to hold the phones back to back and not have to enter the Google account, and that's not working always

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
When I have people log into their Google account sometimes it will prompt to restore from backup. But you are supposed to be able to hold the phones back to back and not have to enter the Google account, and that's not working always

I didn't have another device to try it out on when I did the reset, but I saw that option. Would be quite handy if/when it works consistently.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread, rather than starting a new one. Hope that's preferred.
My wife and I will be receiving our Note 8's next week, and wondering if this app works well.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I did not even see that app but then there are so many new ones on the phone, I may have missed it. but then I doubt it would be completely painless. I doubt, though I could be wrong, that it would copy auto logins over. that was the most painful part for me. remembering login info was a pain. had to reset several passwords once I got the email login right.