Samsung Shows Off First Iris-Scanner Equipped Device, but It's Just a Mediocre Tablet

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, May 25, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    [​IMG]

It looks like Samsung really was working on a new mobile device that includes an Iris-Scanner for security. Sadly, it turns out that the first one they made is nothing but a pretty low-end Android tablet that is focused on the enterprise market.

The new device is appropriately called the Samsung Galaxy Tab Iris, and here are its specs:
    • 7.0” WSVGA(1024×600)
    • 1.2 Ghz Quad Core
    • Android 5.0 Lollipop
    • 5MP AF (Rear)
    • Iris Camera & Subsystem
    • RAM 1.5GB (LPDDR3)
    • 8GB Storage (up to 200 GB microSD)
    • Dimensions - 193.4 x 116.4 x 9.7mm
    • Weight - 327g
    • Battery - 3,600mAh
    • 802.11 b/g/n 2.4GHz, BT4.1, USB2.0 with Host
    As you can see, this is hardly a piece of tech worth getting worked up over. Samsung specifically described it as an affordable biometric security device for government and enterprise. It will have to be "affordable" to get any attention, because, other than the Iris Scanner, there's nothing at all to distinguish this from any other budget-friendly tab. What do you folks think?

Source: Samsung

• Like Like x 2
  2. bucho602

bucho602 New Member

Ratings:
    +8
    At least its a 7". Please bring back the 7". Not 7.5, not 8 or 9.2, 7. That nexus 7 2012 that i have breaks my heart that it works like doo doo, because the feel of it and the size were perfect. I remember putting google voice on there when I went to the Philippines and I had local phone calls to the US, and it fit my pocket still, not well, but still. I didn't mind typing on it in vertical mode (or portrait?), and i loved watching video in horizontal (landscape?) I've been reading about the 2016 rumor. I hope its true but with beast mode internals.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,036
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vepaot

Vepaot Silver Member

Ratings:
    +258
    Current Phone Model:
    LG G5 (LS992)
    Format your storage space to F2FS and it'll work like a charm again. The only thing mine really lags on since I switched, is games. But I mostly use it for reading comic books, controlling my Chromecast, and looking up something when I'm sitting on the sofa or in bed and can't be bothered to squint at my phone.

Speed Up Your Aging Nexus 7 2012's Storage with F2FS

BACK ON TOPIC

As for the Samsung tablet...it doesn't need to be a power house. At this point every upgrade in hardware is incremental at best, so I'd rather see developers and Google focus on making Android and their apps run more smoothly on older hardware, rather than requiring a social media app to have 6 cores at 1.5 Ghz and 4 gigs of RAM to function. The tablet itself, will be fine for businesses which will mostly use them for signing documents, exchanging files, and sharing information either wirelessly or via presentations such as slideshows and the like. I'm sure it'll be great for what its intention is. I don't like Samsung, but I'd imagine they did their homework and had analysts in the field trying to find the best compromise between hardware performance and real world necessities for the modern business tablet.

#4 Vepaot, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Rognish

Rognish Active Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Twitter:
    rognish
    Wow, they are about ready to release Android 7 and they are just getting ready to release this tablet with 5.0.

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,348
    I agree with everything except the part where Samsung does their homework. If abandoning their devices prematurely is the smartest thing to do then I'll change my stance on the homework part as well. I've seen rumor after rumor about how the next rendition of Android will work better on older devices. Since I own Samsung devices I'll never find out.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

7. Efin

Efin Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +3,652
    I agree, the scanner will be obsolete, probably before it's on them market...

Sounds like project Abacus is project "big brother" or proof that they're watching our every move...

Maybe it's time for that flip phone again...

• Like Like x 2