Samsung Shares Official Render of their new Exynos 5 Octa Chip

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-exynos-5-octa-official.jpg

Samsung's next mobile chip, the Exynos 5 Octa just posed for the cameras. Just in case you missed Samsung's big debut of this chip at CES, this is their next big innovation in mobile chipsets. It's their first chip to use Arm's big.LITTLE technology. It mixes things up with four Cortex-A15 cores, and four Cortex-A7 ones, and supposedly also includes a number of thermal and power-management enhancements.

It will be interesting to see if the performance of this new chip lives up to all the hype, although, we have to admit, we are more interested in seeing it's power efficiency than any benchmark numbers. What do you think?

Source: Samsung - Twitter

jspradling7

Reaction score
Unless my next phone is going to be able to project holograms I can't figure out what I would need an 8 core processor for. I mean it's cool I guess, but aren't we still waiting for software to take advantage of 4 cores?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Unless my next phone is going to be able to project holograms I can't figure out what I would need an 8 core processor for. I mean it's cool I guess, but aren't we still waiting for software to take advantage of 4 cores?
Yes we are waiting, but my guess is unless the likes of Samsung pushes these type of chips to the market, we would never see the software optimized because there would be no need.

jspradling7

Reaction score
Yes we are waiting, but my guess is unless the likes of Samsung pushes these type of chips to the market, we would never see the software optimized because there would be no need.

You're right, I know. I wonder if this is how the Tricorder got started. :D Hardware development is just moving at an insane pace. I just wonder if we are headed for a bubble burst of some sort.