Samsung Says to Pencil in a Date; “newest Galaxy” coming Aug. 15 - Maybe the G-Note 2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sg-note-2-quad-core.png

Samsung has shared that they are planning on launching another Galaxy device soon. They sent out notices suggesting we should pencil in August 15th as the date for us to see the "newest Galaxy." They didn't give any hint as to which device it will be, but the smart money is on the Galaxy Note 2. There has been a lot of buzz lately about that device, and it has been building for the last few months. Some of the previous rumors suggest an August 30th launch date, which would mean an officially announcement on August 15th isn't that surprising.

galaxy-note-II-benchmarks.jpeg

In fact, we even have a new rumor regarding the Galaxy Note 2 that just surfaced this morning. Supposedly, the latest scuttlebutt is that the new G-Note 2 will actually come with an overclocked (to 1.6GHz) version of the same Quad-Core Exynos that is in the GSM version of the Galaxy S III. In fact, the device seems to have shown up in some GLBenchmarks and posts some impressive scores.

As always, we will be watching this even like a hawk and let you know what comes from it. In the mean-time, let's speculate a bit. If it isn't the G-Note 2, what device do you think it might be?

Source: GLBenchmark

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My dad just got a Note last week and I have to say, its a big freaking phone. I wanted one for a while but got an S3 instead. Honestly, I'm glad I did. The note is nice and the screen real estate is nice too, but after getting to handle my dad's for a while, my short fingers don't hold it well. Also, the power button and volume button are way up on top instead of in the middle area like the S3 and the S3 buttons are better placed.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how any one can consider this a phone. I think of it as more of a Mini-Tablet then a phone.

I can't comment on the size as I've never held one. But it seems to me that it would have a narrower target market since most would opt for a smaller phone or a larger tablet. IMO, such a device is only practical if you talk on bluetooth or speaker all the time - great for a salesperson or someone who travels a lot (especially in the car), but more impractical for people out in public, on the bus, etc..

With the shared plans, if you could somehow have two devices activated on a single line it would be a great option for around the house (default answer mode to speaker) and then have a smaller phone when you're out and about. It would be really cool if an VZW offered some sort of bluetooth Android console that would primarily be a speakerphone, so at home you could take calls on that (maybe with a portable handset, as well). Basically a VoIP device, I guess. The problem is managing multiple lines, which really isn't preferable. Google Voice addresses that, but I'm not sure if it's reliable enough for business otherwise you just give out the GV number and you can have as many different lines as you like.

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
Every carrier is enjoying the sgs 3. Why flood the market with another galaxy device to compete with your current device? That's why I'm not into marketing I guess.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
For those of you wondering who would want such a Frankensteinian phone-tablet hybrid, Samsung has sold over 7,000,000 of them since releasing the Note in February.

Assuming the Note 2 comes to Verizon and unless something truly extraordinary comes to Verizon before the end of the year, I'll be getting the Note 2 in November.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Yeah can we cut the hate on the Note size? Its obvious millions of people want this phone. Like me. Nothing we can do but hope I guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

Harveyd

Reaction score
As for the Note 2 it appeals to the crowd who loves big phones which I like but seeing Verizon showing rumors of a hideous looking LG optimus VU which they think can compete with the Note 2 I will pass on that and leave Verizon if possible.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with the size. It gives you the real estate to view anything comfortably and maniplate graphics and data as needed while allowing you to keep in touch with everyone you need to. I likely would go for something a bit smaller, but I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating cookies.

djspy

Reaction score
Why don't people complain about Samsung releasing so many devices in a short period of time like they do with Motorola?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hardly any Samsung devices worth discussing have even come to Verizon. The Nexus devices also don't have the bootloader issues or lack of OS updates that plague us on Moto phones. It wouldn't matter if fifty Nexus devices came out a year because they wouldn't be saddled with fragmentation or being locked.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
I'm wondering why there is no 5 inch screen. That might seem like a solid middle ground. I know Verizon is getting that new LG phone but for some god forsaken reason they made it 4:3 aspect ratio. Looks horrible. I hope Verizon isn't getting this turd in place of the Note 2

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using the Droid Forums App

bacK_N_87

Reaction score
djspy said:
Why don't people complain about Samsung releasing so many devices in a short period of time like they do with Motorola?

Thats my complaint definitely!