Samsung Reveals Bad News: No ICS for Galaxy S & OG Galaxy Tab; Problem is TouchWiz

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The truly ironic thing is Samsung already did that. Samsung hired Cyanogen back in August...

Good point. I do remember that, but it seems to be the lone exception. Also, August may be a bit soon for us to start seeing the fruits of that labor. On a side note, it's another potential reason to go with the Nexus (even if it's a Google developer device) that flew way under the radar.

revelated

Reaction score
I guess it would be too much to ask for them to just not install TouchWiz and bloatware.

In some cases the custom UI not only makes the phone useable, it makes it stand out from the crowd. I'm fine with Touchwiz and I'm fine with the RAZR version of MotoBLUR (i.e. not intrusive in the slightest). I actually am sick of Sense, it feels heavier than the others.

I do agree though that it should be an optional skin - similar to what BlackBerry used to offer with the Storm and newer devices. You didn't have to have the same look and feel, you could revert to other styles if you wanted.

cellphonedork

Reaction score
I'm not to worried. I will eventually have ICS on my OG Droid and my unbranded gt-p1000 galaxy tab 7. I may have to wait a few more weeks for bugs to be worked out, but the modding community is hard at work putting together some great roms for these devices that were forgotten long ago by the OEMs and Carriers. I have yet yo meet a carrier or OEM rom that compared to what aftermarket developers have been able to do. That is also the reason I will not buy a device with a locked bootloader or one that initially comes skinned by the OEM. Blur, Sense = bloat

sb1831

Reaction score
I don't get why people are upset about this. They bought the device with touchwiz on it. I'm sure it would make a LOT more people angry to get a new update that looks absolutely nothing like what they're used to than it will to just not put ICS on the phone. May as well anger the rooted crowd as opposed to the core group of users.