Samsung Reveals Bad News: No ICS for Galaxy S & OG Galaxy Tab; Problem is TouchWiz

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung_Galaxy_S_Android1.jpg

This isn't directly related to Verizon products, but is discussion-worthy regardless, and is likely a bit of news that could potentially anger some folks. Samsung just released a statement on their Korean "Samsung Tomorrow" Blog stating that the Galaxy S phone and the original Galaxy Tab will not be able to receive Android 4.0/ Ice Cream Sandwich. Their "explanation" was that because of the size of the RAM and ROM on both devices, they could not fit ICS and TouchWiz and other factory installed "experience-enhancing software" (bloatware) on the device together.

Share your thoughts on this.

Source: TheVerge

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I guess it would be too much to ask for them to just not install TouchWiz and bloatware.

B-Unit

Reaction score
I guess it would be too much to ask for them to just not install TouchWiz and bloatware.

But then its no longer a differentiated product. I mean, noone buys phones for silly things like the latest software or nice screens, its all about unique software from the OEM. I mean look at the iPhone...

/sarcasam

Last edited:

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Doubt this would be a big deal what with one click root. Just means a stock user gets no love. Since I'm not really using my OG Droid for anything now I'd like to try ICS on it when it gets a more stable/working release. Phone was pretty good to me so I hate to just shelf it.

Reaction score
I'm not really too disappointed, heck I never expected this phone to even get gingerbread and samsung surprised us with that. Plus I think most people will have been able to upgrade their fascinate (galaxy s) by the time it would even get ics

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with Dusty. What it amounts to is this "ICS will not fit on this device AFTER we install bloat-wiz and etc. Sorry, but you understand." Novel idea would be bloatless Vanilla route.

Sent from my TB using DroidForums

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Surprise Surprise

Most likely the reason why a lot of phones won't see ICS.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Why they don't just install these as a removeable app is beyond me. For that matter, I keep saying go out and hire some of the great rom developers to do it right. I recognize the need/desire to differentiate with the custom UI's, but when your custom skin prevents upgrading the latest Android that is a serious issue and customer service failing.

Even from a pure selling standpoint, why they arbitrarily limit their potential market by making the custom UI unremoveable without root is mind-boggling. I doubt anyone would care if it was pre-installed by default, so long as it was easy to remove.

And clearly the wave of the future (or at least where things should be heading) is a Firefox-type launcher where you can install additional features as add-ons. You want to customize the notification bar? Boom, here's an apk to d/l and install otherwise no need to clutter up your OS if you don't want the feature.

It's obviously a completely foreign concept to the OEM's to develop leading software/apps that, if they choose, they could make exclusive to their phones. Looking at what Moto did with the RAZR and "smart" features, they should go buy Tasker or Locale, soup it up and offer as an exclusive on Moto phones. Put some resources behind it to make more user-friendly and you actually have a feature that becomes a REAL selling point (Blur seems only to serve to turn-off potential customers).

Blacksheep427

Reaction score
Why they don't just install these as a removeable app is beyond me. For that matter, I keep saying go out and hire some of the great rom developers to do it right. I recognize the need/desire to differentiate with the custom UI's, but when your custom skin prevents upgrading the latest Android that is a serious issue and customer service failing.

Even from a pure selling standpoint, why they arbitrarily limit their potential market by making the custom UI unremoveable without root is mind-boggling. I doubt anyone would care if it was pre-installed by default, so long as it was easy to remove.

And clearly the wave of the future (or at least where things should be heading) is a Firefox-type launcher where you can install additional features as add-ons. You want to customize the notification bar? Boom, here's an apk to d/l and install otherwise no need to clutter up your OS if you don't want the feature.

It's obviously a completely foreign concept to the OEM's to develop leading software/apps that, if they choose, they could make exclusive to their phones. Looking at what Moto did with the RAZR and "smart" features, they should go buy Tasker or Locale, soup it up and offer as an exclusive on Moto phones. Put some resources behind it to make more user-friendly and you actually have a feature that becomes a REAL selling point (Blur seems only to serve to turn-off potential customers).

100% on the mark. Why make bloat ware permanent? Removable bloat, etc., the full customizable phone out of the box. And add in the add on style feature for it to be outstanding.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
This isn't directly related to Verizon products, but is discussion-worthy regardless, and is likely a bit of news that could potentially anger some folks.
Share your thoughts on this.

I really like diverse news like this being posted to DroidForums, because I am a Technology junkie in general, and Android specifically. I don't have time to visit the Verge, Phandroid and Droid-Life. A website that could aggregate all this news would be key!

So please continue to post articles like this.

skennelly

Reaction score
It's a shame that any oem would think that their bloatware is more desirable than the latest and greatest, most hyped software for Android.

x25064

Reaction score
While I understand this is frustrating to a lot of users, I personally enjoy touchwiz 4.0. I know that's not applicable to the phones in question, but I'm just saying not ALL OEM "skins" are the devil. TW4.0 on the epic touch is actually a pretty nice user experience.

Also I don't know how well ICS will handle on single core phones. I was skeptical about it for my Droid x til I purchased the nexus .