Samsung Promises Enhanced Camera for Galaxy S6

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-sensor.jpg

It looks like the Galaxy S6 leaks are flowing like a burst pipe now. Earlier today new intel was leaked regarding the camera on the Samsung Galaxy S6. Supposedly, Sammy decided to really amp up the power level of the camera to new heights. Supposedly, the folks at SamMobile got their hands on a Galaxy S6 prototype camera and figured out a few things. Here's what they gleaned,
  • It will have 20-megapixel rear camera (with optical image stabilization) and a 5-megapixel front camera
  • Both cameras are a Samsung design (model numbers SLSI_S5K2T2_FIMC_IC and SLSI_S5K4E6_FIMC_IS)
  • The rear camera will take photos in 20MP (5952×3348), 15MP (4464×3348), 11MP (3344×3344), 8MP (3264×2448), 6MP (3264×1836) and 2.4MP (2048×1152) resolution.
They also found that the camera's low-light capabilities have been enhanced and it is designed to offer “amazing pictures under any conditions.” Here's a quote with a few more details,

We have also picked up information on the camera software on the Galaxy S6/S6 Edge. Samsung is using the APIs that debuted on Android 5.0 Lollipop to offer a Pro mode in the camera app. This Pro mode will enable the option to choose between three focus modes, including a manual focus mode similar to the one found on third-party apps like Manual Camera. We could possibly also get other advanced options, such the ability to save RAW images and control the shutter speed, which would give advanced users the power to shoot photos the way they want to.

If this rumint (and everything else we have heard) proves true, then it appears Samsung is truly striving hard to distinguish the Galaxy S6 from the competition this time. Will they be able to stand tall?

Here's our dedicated section for the Samsung Galaxy S6: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
You know, I had one, yes one Samsung phone, so I am by no means an expert, nor even a representation of their market by any stretch of the imagination. My S4 was laggy, I would burn through batteries (carried 3 spares), and eventually, after only 3 months failed and hard bricked on the first major OS update after I got it (it wouldn't even respond to desktop attempts to communicate with it with tech support on the phone). After coming from the Droid RAZR MAXX I decided at the time that I wanted the comfort and familiarity and battery life of the Droid Maxx instead and they obliged me. I had nothing but pure bliss with that phone, and my next upgrade was the Droid Turbo which has been even more pure bliss with even less bloat.

But I will say this, if Samsung is able to strip down their heavy overlay and bloat, and take their "Samsung User Experience" to a lower volume level - like maybe 75/100 where right now it's 100/100 and I'm hearing lots of distortion, I may be persuaded to consider them again. If there was a phone to get my attention and perhaps pull me away from Motorola Droid phones it may be the S6. I'm hearing some really good things about it, and the camera above (and supporting user interface) are definitely advancements that may make me stand up and pay attention. Still, I am most apprehensive given my own personal experience with the S4. I do know that there is a MONUMENTALLY large Samsung following and that my results were not indicative of the masses, but they were indicative of how that phone performed for me and in my scenario, so it is relevant to me and will be a factor in deciding if Samsung gets my dollar going forward.

Let's hope that Samsung again gets it right with the S6, the same things it got right with the S5 and S4, as well as the Note series, but that they listen to the "other" masses (i.e. the ones they haven't converted), and make it even more appealing to those of us who feel that less is more.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, I had one, yes one Samsung phone, so I am by no means an expert, nor even a representation of their market by any stretch of the imagination. My S4 was laggy, I would burn through batteries (carried 3 spares), and eventually, after only 3 months failed and hard bricked on the first major OS update after I got it (it wouldn't even respond to desktop attempts to communicate with it with tech support on the phone). After coming from the Droid RAZR MAXX I decided at the time that I wanted the comfort and familiarity and battery life of the Droid Maxx instead and they obliged me. I had nothing but pure bliss with that phone, and my next upgrade was the Droid Turbo which has been even more pure bliss with even less bloat.

But I will say this, if Samsung is able to strip down their heavy overlay and bloat, and take their "Samsung User Experience" to a lower volume level - like maybe 75/100 where right now it's 100/100 and I'm hearing lots of distortion, I may be persuaded to consider them again. If there was a phone to get my attention and perhaps pull me away from Motorola Droid phones it may be the S6. I'm hearing some really good things about it, and the camera above (and supporting user interface) are definitely advancements that may make me stand up and pay attention. Still, I am most apprehensive given my own personal experience with the S4. I do know that there is a MONUMENTALLY large Samsung following and that my results were not indicative of the masses, but they were indicative of how that phone performed for me and in my scenario, so it is relevant to me and will be a factor in deciding if Samsung gets my dollar going forward.

Let's hope that Samsung again gets it right with the S6, the same things it got right with the S5 and S4, as well as the Note series, but that they listen to the "other" masses (i.e. the ones they haven't converted), and make it even more appealing to those of us who feel that less is more.
You do realize the S stands for sensitive right? All that Samsung bashing you were feeling hurt your S4s feelings and it couldn't handle the hate.
J/K
Looks to me like the S6 will be going after the iPhone camera buffs that swear theirs is best as well as other buyers. If only it had an s pen........

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You do realize the S stands for sensitive right? All that Samsung bashing you were feeling hurt your S4s feelings and it couldn't handle the hate.
J/K
Looks to me like the S6 will be going after the iPhone camera buffs that swear theirs is best as well as other buyers. If only it had an s pen........

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Thing is, I wasn't Samsung bashing. It was real issues, lack of performance and a failure at the end, but that was ONE phone and ONE user, out of how many millions?? In other words, I did make it clear that I was far from a representative sample. I might have fallen in love with Samsung had my first (and only) S4 been not a dud as it very well may have been.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Obviously your experience wasn't "the norm". If it was, they'd (Galaxy S models) world be nowhere near as popular.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Enhanced" Vanilla Android... Sounds like Marketing Speak for TouchWiz!! LOL!;)

Reactions: cr6

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Obviously your experience wasn't "the norm". If it was, they'd (Galaxy S models) world be nowhere near as popular.

S5 tap'n

Does my OP REALLY sound like I am trying to say that it was? How much clearer do I need to paint the picture? OK;

DISCLOSURE: MY EXPERIENCE WAS UNIQUE AND DOES NOT REPRESENT THE TYPICAL USER EXPERIENCE AS REPRESENTED BY THE MULTIPLE MILLIONS OF OTHER SATISFIED SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 USERS. NOR DOES MY EXPERIENCE OR ANY OPINION OF MINE THEREOF REPRESENT THE OPINION OF THIS FORUM, ITS MEMBERS, STAFF, FANS OF SAID FORUM, FANS OF SAID SAMSUNG, OR EVEN FANS OF ALL OTHER PHONES. YRMV (AND MOST LIKELY WILL).

How's that? :D

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I must be really stupid or just plain slow... I just discovered that you can highlight a portion of a post and click either "quote" or "reply" right there and it truncates the post to just the highlighted text and quotes it. All this time I've been quoting the entire post and then editing out the parts I didn't want. Geez. I feel like the guy who just found out there WAS beer at this party! :confused: