Samsung Politely Tells Customers to RTFM in Response to the Backwards S-Pen Silliness

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Idk, i think this is a pretty big design flaw. I've incorrectly put my pen into my 2012 Note 10.1 tens of times, saw that it didn't go in all the way, and very quickly fixed the issue. Sometimes I use my tablet in the dark or am in a hurry. Seems silly that Samsung made such a redesign, when you only used to be able to put it in one way.

EDIT

Ohh, I didn't realize this meant people were putting the stylus in completely backwards, I thought it just meant flipped around. Yeah, not sure how you screw that one up.. but you definitely can't put it in backwards on my Note 10.1 so still a weird thing for them to change.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wait. Is there a button on that one? With my Note 4, the button can either be up or down. Doesn't matter. Still "locks in". You can't rotate the Note 2 pen with either side up?

That's correct. My wife had the Note2 and the stylus had a flat side, and a curved side so it should only fit one way.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

what he said.

an easy fix would've been to make the button a slight bit bigger than the pen itself... like 1mm total... it wouldn't fit in upside down... and only the tip could go in.... these genius engineer's need to be fired... why would you make the entire thing uniform when a barely visible change would make all the difference

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
My Note 1's S-Pen can only fit one way. My Note Edge as well. It cannot be inserted backwards.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
But who would want the Tip of the S-Pen or ANY Stylus that is put in a Device to stick out of it. The Tip would go in so if it where to fall on that spot not damage it not to mention that you want it flush anyway

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
But....this was kind of predictable and you think they could have engineered it better so as not to be an issue.

Or more likely someone DID come up with the idea of a reversible stylus, and Sammie said "brilliant! that can be an upgraded feature to tout next year!"

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I never inserted the s-pen stylus into my Note 4 the wrong way, the silver part is ALWAYS on the bottom, LOL. Humans supposedly have evolved over thousands of years, are we seeing this trend now going in REVERSE.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
But who would want the Tip of the S-Pen or ANY Stylus that is put in a Device to stick out of it. The Tip would go in so if it where to fall on that spot not damage it not to mention that you want it flush anyway
here maybe this picture can explain my idea... why the people at sammy couldn't think of this is beyond me

Attachments

• s-pen design.jpg
    s-pen design.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 164

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the Note 4 design better then.
Note4 s pen is night and day better than the Note2 and Note8 (basically a longer Note2 s pen). The button is more ergonomic by far if nothing else.
I tried sliding mine in backwards and it reached a point where only stubbornness would allow me to push it further. I'd have to be VERY distracted to get it stuck. I'm not an engineer but I can think of many ways they could've avoided this without taking away from the pen. Just about the entire pen behind the click button could be done differently, be it wider, thicker, more squared, top being fatter at the end, the entire chrome area could've been made larger, etc. I do wish the button on the side was more prominent as well.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not that I use mine a whole lot, but I actually like that the button isn't very prominent. For a first time s pen user, I'm sure I'd click it accidentally quite often if it was. Or I'd at least click it unintentionally when I first got the device enough times to have driven me from using it even sooner.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I definitely like the Note 4 design better then.
There was one minor advantage (I rarely use the button myself) to the Note2 one way fit....when you pulled it out, it was much easier to find the button.
One, because it was on the flat side, and two, because since the S-pen only fit one way, you would automatically know (after learning) which side had the button.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use it often and still find it hard to find. More pronounced with a harder press to make it activate would be my wish. I get the accidental usage if it was out more but that could be offset with a tighter spring at no additional cost to Samsung

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4