Samsung Pokes Fun at Apple Maps in Australia with 'Stranded Vehicle' Demonstrations

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-pokes-fun-at-apple-maps-in-australia.jpeg

Today's Samsung vs. Apple news requires a little bit of back-story. A couple of days ago, Apple Maps got some pretty heavy negative press from none other than the Police Department in Victoria, Australia. Apparently, Apple Maps directions to a city called Mildura in Victory, Australia were so far off that if you followed them you could end up stranded in a remote and "snake-infested" area without water & fuel. In fact, this actually happend to six vehicles who contacted the police for help after becoming lost and/or stranded in this desolate area after following Apple Maps' directions. The Victorian police even issued a statement that Apple Maps was potentially life-threatening and that people shouldn't follow it.

Today Samsung decided to use this major snafu from Apple to their own marketing advantage. They set up live "stranded vehicle" demonstrations in two different spots: One is in the Southern Cross Station in Melbourne with a loaded VW hippy van, and the other is in the Australia Square in Sydney with a dirty Nissan Patrol 4WD. Both of these "demonstrations" poke indirect fun at the Apple Maps fiasco, with signs that say, "Oops, should have got a Samsung Galaxy S III. Get Navigation you can trust."

It's hard not to laugh at this clever and creative marketing angle. The fact that Samsung's marketing department thought of this and implemented it in just a couple of days deserves some credit, but we wonder if this "ad campaign" goes a bit too far? What do you think, spot-on or too mean?

Source: PhoneArena

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is totally over the top and completely unnecessary! I'm disappointed in Samsung! Oh wait....no I'm not. This is hilarious.

eagle923

Reaction score
How dare they poke fun at the world's most profitable company making a sub-par product?!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This is totally over the top and completely unnecessary! I'm disappointed in Samsung! Oh wait....no I'm not. This is hilarious.

I was like...unnecessary..WHAT!? I would have loved it if these were in spots that got on Google Maps too. How awesome would that be.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even though I strive to keep journalistic objectivity in my stories, that doesn't mean I can't comment in my own thread. I really loved this clever marketing gimmick from Samsung, and think it is definitely spot-on! :happy3:

Sal R.

Reaction score
C'mon now.

Who here DIDN'T expect this to happen?

lawlz.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I don't think I would blindly follow directions from my phone out into the wilderness. Still, this is funny as hell. ;)

Reaction score
m

I don't think I would blindly follow directions from my phone out into the wilderness. Still, this is funny as hell. ;)

A lot of iOS users are sheep (not all but a lot)... does it surprise you that they blindly trusted/followed Apple without question?

Sent from Razr Maxx running Full Throttle Killer Bean

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
This is funny but my only problem with Samsung Galaxy series phones is that a lot of people at work have them and I would say the majority of the time I see them using the phone with a cracked screen after one drop. Since they're stuck with a contract they can't replace the phone without paying $100-$150 for the insurance deductible and aren't eligible for an upgrade anytime soon. Samsung needs to focus on making the outer casing more durable; what's the point of having an awesome phone if you have to put a case on it to be sure it doesn't brake. Just my 2¢.

Bowtie

Reaction score
Awesome!!!!!! But here comes lawsuit #107,366 from apple against Samsung! Apple will cry like a little b!tch and probably claim emotional distress in the suit!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see them do some of these in the states... I posted yesterday regarding apple maps rendition of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge... it looks worse than the Galloping Gerty (which was the original Narrows Bridge BTW)

pretty scary stuff

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is funny but my only problem with Samsung Galaxy series phones is that a lot of people at work have them and I would say the majority of the time I see them using the phone with a cracked screen after one drop. Since they're stuck with a contract they can't replace the phone without paying $100-$150 for the insurance deductible and aren't eligible for an upgrade anytime soon. Samsung needs to focus on making the outer casing more durable; what's the point of having an awesome phone if you have to put a case on it to be sure it doesn't brake. Just my 2¢.

this is the one reason I prefer moto... their phones are just tough....