Samsung Plans Other Versions of Galaxy S4; 'S4 Zoom' with 16 Megapixel Camera & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
SamsungGalaxy_S4_green-glow.JPG

It looks like Samsung plans to milk the Galaxy S4 branding for all it is worth. There are several variants of the new flagship coming to market sometime this year. Two we have already heard about, (the ruggedized version and the Galaxy S4 Mini), but we have a new one to add to the list today.

Samsung is also working on a "Galaxy S4 Zoom" that will come with a 16 MegaPixel camera. This one is obviously focused on photography. It also has a few other differentiating specs. Here's a breakdown,
  • 4.3-inch qHD display
  • 16MP Camera
  • 8GB of internal storage
  • A microSDXC support
  • Bluetooth 4.0 LE (low energy)
  • Android Jelly Bean
It's interesting that a phone dedicated to photography would have such a small storage of 8GB, but in a way it makes sense. As you can see they also will be offering a microSDXC card slot which is where most folks would want to store their pics anyway. No pricing was shared about this device, but the intel is that it will launch in June or July. We will keep you apprised when we find out more.

Source: GalaxyS4Forums.net via BGR

Reusable

Reaction score
OMG, I'm still waiting to get the S4. Actually, it has 16GB of memory, but Samsung is addressing the recent announcement that 8 GB of it are used for app storage. This is a more honest assessment. One last note, my son correctly pointed out that no one takes 8 MB pictures since you can't email them. Most people have their phones set at a lower resolution for that very reason. Ha, I suppose you could use NFC to swap photo's if all of your friends had S4's, which they don't. Or, the carriers would love for you to upload to DropBox (watch that data usage).

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
I suppose you could use NFC to swap photo's if all of your friends had S4's, which they don't. Or, the carriers would love for you to upload to DropBox (watch that data usage).

Sending files via Bluetooth is also a viable option, in situations where NFC isn't supported by one or both devices.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Milking indeed. In reality they could have waited until fall and blown the iPhone 5Gis3.1 out of the water with this higher res camera and more features, but instead they're squeezing out every dollar that they can. I can't object for the reason that I normally would as I doubt their build quality will suffer from this new scheduling, but there's no reason we need to see new releases with variants every six months or so.