Samsung passes Motorola and HTC in Android sales

J

JohnDroid

samsung-logo.png

I learned something new today about the sales figures for Samsung's Android lineup. Apparently, they've sold more units then either Motorola or HTC. It seems to me that Motorola has had some hits on their hands with the Droid X/Droid 2/Droid series... and HTC hasn't done too shabby either with the Incredible, Nexus One, EVO 4G, etc...

But if you think about it, I guess it's not so far fetched... check out this lineup of Galaxy S phones: Sprint's Samsung Epic 4G, Verizon's Samsung Fascinate, T-Mobile's Samsung Vibrant, AT&T's Samsung Captivate, the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Impressive. And they've got products available on almost all the networks overseas as well.

The figures are around 32% for Samsung, 27% for HTC, and Motorola coming in at a mere 17% which means if their huge success in Galaxy development continues, they might be the premier Android manufacturer.

(Source: DriversHQ & Droid Forum)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I guess its not surprising since Samsung has devices on all the major networks. AT&T just recently got good android devices and most if not all of those are Samsung.

2005CTS

Reaction score
HTC sitting on a gold mine with the HTC DINC HD

I think as soon as HTC can get their DINC HD out - either in just LTE form or better yet the 3G now LTE in March form...they will pull ahead of the Samsung crowd. Right now Samsung has the newest crop of all touch screen Android phones. The Galaxy phones are thin, fast and have super sharp displays. The only thing wrong with the Fascinate is that it was Binged.

It seems everyone I know stuck with a Blackberry Storm is wating for the DINC HD to be released and as big of a success as the EVO4G was on Sprint - I would imagine that the DINC HD on VZW would send sales through the roof.

I predict the Samsung lead is short lived.

As for Motorola - I have one thing to say...Motoblur.

Many of us don't want to mess with the OS or UI. We want a phone that is smooth and fast running out of the box. Motoblur on the DX is a mess. Factor that in with the weird hump where the camera is and you have a phone that is not in the same class as the EVO, Galaxy and iPhone world of touch screen devices.

HTC sales will go through the roof when the DINC HD is launched.

SkeetSkeet

Reaction score
I think this is great, Moto should have NEVER locked down their phones. Than adding all the blur just makes it worse. My first purchase was the OG droid, than the droid x on release date but I think thats my last Motorola. I will never buy another phone with the locked down bootloader again, so this throws Motorola out the window. That new HTC dual core phone looks awesome, Im gonna wait for that

dbst

Reaction score
I think this is great, Moto should have NEVER locked down their phones. Than adding all the blur just makes it worse. My first purchase was the OG droid, than the droid x on release date but I think thats my last Motorola. I will never buy another phone with the locked down bootloader again, so this throws Motorola out the window. That new HTC dual core phone looks awesome, Im gonna wait for that
^^ I couldn't agree more

OP
R

RETG

Just because an item sells more models, does not mean it is a better phone. Chevy outsells Mercedes, Taurus outsells SIG, so Samsung outsells Motorola.

droidphreak

Reaction score
I don’t think its any coincidence that Google chose Samsung to be the next maker of the Nexus. Samsung may have f'ed up software. But their hardware is a notch above Moto and HTC. And I’m not talking about the plastic back. I’m talking about the guts. Processors and screens are much better than anything Moto or HTC has to offer atm.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^^This.

Like someone said already....the Galaxy S line is on ALL 4 carriers. Does Motorola have any decent phones on the other carriers?

Locked bootloaders, MotoBlur isnt the reason Samsung is so far ahead....lol

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don’t think its any coincidence that Google chose Samsung to be the next maker of the Nexus. Samsung may have f'ed up software. But their hardware is a notch above Moto and HTC. And I’m not talking about the plastic back. I’m talking about the guts. Processors and screens are much better than anything Moto or HTC has to offer atm.

But....factor in the GPS and the stall issues and if their next wave of phones and the Nexus 2 has the same issues...they shoulda stuck with HTC or gave Moto a shot.

droidphreak

Reaction score

But....factor in the GPS and the stall issues and if their next wave of phones and the Nexus 2 has the same issues...they shoulda stuck with HTC or gave Moto a shot.

GPS is a software issue. And it will be remedied in the update as per the testers of the software atm say the GPS is fixed with the update. And with googles blessing im betting that Samsung will be the first to start rolling out 2.3 on their devices. At least they will stay in line with the others. I wouldnt count Samsung out by a longshot. It wasnt too far in the past that Moto almost went belly up. If it wasnt for the Droid and Vzw they wouldnt be around not. And that was a year ago! Samsung is here to stay and has the tech behind them to be a force. Watch and see.

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just because an item sells more models, does not mean it is a better phone. Chevy outsells Mercedes, Taurus outsells SIG, so Samsung outsells Motorola.

I believe the main difference with those are price point. Samsung and Motorola are in the same price range.

OP
R

RETG

If a person likes unreal over-saturated colors, and likes bluish tinted white backgrounds, then from my research (that is viewing at stores and playing with a Fascinate of a friend), then the Samsung is a great idea. However, from most of the stuff I read, if you are not playing games, the X is faster.

And from doing web searches and other things when playing on these phones, it is apparent to me that the X is faster. Then again, I stopped playing games on computer (have never on a phone) years ago.

HTC makes nice phones, but again research tells me the radio is not as good at obtaining signals in fringe areas. From the looks, I like HTC models, but reception is a bit more important than looks.

But like trucks, everyone will say what they own is the best. No one wants to admit they don't have the best. Maybe after I purchase an Android come Dec 2, I might be the same way. But right now, reading the internet, playing with the phones in stores and those phones of friends, I have totally ruled out Samsung. Over-saturated, bluish tinted screen colors is not what I want, can't read the screen with polarized sunglasses on, and yes, it feels like a plastic toy phone they used to sell for five year olds.

I have not totally ruled out HTC. It will not be the DInc, screen is too small. But that new rumored device might be an option if it comes out in time for Verizon, and it gets good reception in fringe areas.