Samsung Officially Reveals Gear S2 and Gear S2 Classic

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like the look of the black watch. There's also no flat tire.
I've always preferred black watches and phones as well. Back when gray/silver was all the rage I used to keep my flip phones in a black leather case. I had a silver colored watch as a kid but once I got old enough to make my own choices I always chose black and square when possible.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't see myself wearing this watch while I have a suit on.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't see myself wearing this watch while I have a suit on.

Moto makes a big deal out of their lack of bezel, but regardless of how you feel about the flat tire:
1) the bezel/casing is what defines the premium look of watches. For more than toy/sport, the lack of bezel is actually a negative as it makes it look less like a real watch
2) they do the flat tire in part because of ambient light display? I don't see that as a particularly good trade-off

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was against the "flat tire" once upon a time, now I appreciate how it sets their watch design apart from the rest of the pack.

thc1967

Reaction score
I love that black watch. If it has all the typical fitness toys and I can get it without cellular mode to keep the cost down, that just might be the first watch to go onto my wrist in over a decade.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm confused....So Sammie said this WILL work with other Android phones, and it appears the Gear 2 can connect remotely to your phone via wifi.

Does that mean I can connect to my phone remotely over wifi, and then run an Android app from my phone (since the Gear 2 runs Tizen)?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm confused....So Sammie said this WILL work with other Android phones, and it appears the Gear 2 can connect remotely to your phone via wifi.

Does that mean I can connect to my phone remotely over wifi, and then run an Android app from my phone (since the Gear 2 runs Tizen)?
My guess would be no. I'm thinking the best you'll get over WiFi will be notifications from your phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My guess would be no. I'm thinking the best you'll get over WiFi will be notifications from your phone.

Probably a good guess.

Man, that rotating bezel is a slick idea. Hopefully Sammie got their patent in before Apple (because wouldn't that be just like Apple to claim rights to an idea someone else actually implemented).

I'd go for the Gear 2, but there's one good weightlifting app for smartwatches I'm aware of (Progression) and it's only on Androidwear.

Although, just looking it appears JEFIT does have a Gear app. Hmmm, decisions decisions.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
According to the video the Gear S2s will not require Samsung phones

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It looks like it runs fluidly.

Allen_Jolynn0

Reaction score
Website
phongnhaexplorer.com
Samsung has a big software update in store for its Gear S2 smartwatch according to phonearena latest news. The Gear S2 update is available through the Samsung Gear app, and includes interface, as well as functionality enhancements, breathing new life in the affordable wearable.