Samsung Officially Reveals Gear S2 and Gear S2 Classic

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Gear-S2.jpg

Late yesterday Samsung officially unveiled their new Gear S2 and Gear S2 Classic round faced smartwatches. Just as was previously rumored, it looks like Sammy took queues from Motorola, and they are finally getting wise to the better aesthetics of a round watch face. The new Gear S2 and Gear S2 classic both use a round watch face.

Samsung-Gear-S2-Classic.jpg

The Gear S2 features a sleek and modern design aesthetic that is a far cry from the bland and boring of the previous Samsung Gear watches. The Gear S2 Classic takes the same round face, but adds a more traditional watch face that Samsung describes as a “timeless watch design.” (Timeless? Does that mean it stops functioning? :D)

You can get the Gear S2 in a dark gray watch and strap, or silver watch with white strap, while the S2 Classic is only available in black, with a matching genuine leather black strap. Both devices will include a round 1.2-inch 360 x 360 resolution (302 ppi) circular AMOLED display, include physical rotating bezels and have home/back buttons.

Unsurprisingly, the watches are also NOT Android Wear. They use Tizen, and have a 1GHz dual-core processor. They also contain a battery worth 2-3 days on a single charge, as well as NFC capabilities, mobile payments and wireless charging. Pricing and availability details where not revealed yet, but we will get to see them at IFA on September 3rd.

Here at HQ, we think Samsung should have lead with this design years ago? What do you folks think?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally, I think the design is much better. I had the square g watch and didn't mind it at all, but have since upgraded to the Urbane's round design and definitely like I more.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, not a fan of Sammy trying to push Tizen and not offer an Android Wear option, but I know we've got some gear s using members here that seem quite content with their watches.

I realize that details are sparse at this point, but I'm wondering ti these will offer the same standalone features (data/etc) as the current model Gear S.

Owning an AW watch and being a part of this forum, I've seen and heard and have my own complaints about the state of wearables right now, but I feel like this one does tick quite a few boxes, even if it's not AW.

I hate the name of the Classic. Just seems too long. And I get that it's got more of a classic design, but it's not classic Gear S, so maybe drop the S2? Gear Classic? Idk. The Samsung Galaxy Gear S2 Classic just feels like a mouthful.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a 3rd model not described in the op, the S2 with 3g. It'll be basically the same physically as the S2 classic but a bigger battery with a little less time between charges as the S2 and S2 classic, 3g radio, Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T have said they're carrying it with T-Mobile announcing the plan pricing for data/voice remaining the same as the current S.
The S2 classic will have built in music player like the current Neo, all 3 will have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1. All 3 will have the same twisty bezel that works like the side button on the Apple watch.
1.2" screen.
Nuff said . Granted I think the future of wearable is gonna be bright, the current S with its mammoth (relativity of course when compared to other smartwatches) screen makes its standalone capabilities shine out most . Imagine trying to use a keyboard on the original Moto G or looking at a map that has side roads and things that you're trying to find on the G , etc. Now shrink that screen down a little more and you've got the new S with 3g.
Even if they'd adopted AW instead of Tizen I don't see this series blowing anything or anyone away or making great leaps of swaying anyone to go wearable.
But this is Samsung so only 3 models is just the first go round probably. I look for more models around Christmas to replace their squared off lineup and possibly another fitness band with some obscure os that will eventually have a dozen apps for at most.
To be brutally honest they lost me at 1.2" screen, no matter what else comes with it, what platform , how it charges or how many days between charges. I get 3+ days between charges now on a screen I can actually use, much less see without my readers. The new S3g is gonna be great for phone calls and a good phone butler but I really don't see it being big as a standalone miniature pda like the current S. Locked into Samsung phones will hurt sales yet again. Tizen will hurt sales yet again.
As I said not long ago the Gear lineup will adapt or become extinct and it looks like Samsung is choosing the latter to me and that's coming from a gSheep/tSheep

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
1.2" screen. Nuff said . Granted I think the future of wearable is gonna be bright, the current S with its mammoth (relativity of course when compared to other smartwatches) screen makes its standalone capabilities shine out most . Imagine trying to use a keyboard on the original Moto G or looking at a map that has side roads and things that you're trying to find on the G , etc. Now shrink that screen down a little more and you've got the new S with 3g.
Even if they'd adopted AW instead of Tizen I don't see this series blowing anything or anyone away or making great leaps of swaying anyone to go wearable.
But this is Samsung so only 3 models is just the first go round probably. I look for more models around Christmas to replace their squared off lineup and possibly another fitness band with some obscure os that will eventually have a dozen apps for at most.
To be brutally honest they lost me at 1.2" screen, no matter what else comes with it, what platform , how it charges or how many days between charges. I get 3+ days between charges now on a screen I can actually use, much less see without my readers. The new S3g is gonna be great for phone calls and a good phone butler but I really don't see it being big as a standalone miniature pda like the current S. Locked into Samsung phones will hurt sales yet again. Tizen will hurt sales yet again.
As I said not long ago the Gear lineup will adapt or become extinct and it looks like Samsung is choosing the latter to me and that's coming from a gSheep/tSheep

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8
Nah. They've got a plan. TV's, watches, & other devices all running Tizen. I agree with someone else's assessment of another thread. They're trying to build a fully Tizen ecosystem. Their flagship phones will transition to it eventually too. That is, if it they can pull it off.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The bigger problem than Tizen is that it's only compatible with Sammie phones. They're supposedly coming out with an app, or whatever, to be compatible with other devices. But which non-Sammie owners would take the plunge on software that might be buggy, IF and when it finally rolls out?

Otherwise it does check pretty much all the boxes. But 3G?!? Almost seems a waste when LTE options are available, or will be soon.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah. They've got a plan. TV's, watches, & other devices all running Tizen. I agree with someone else's assessment of another thread. They're trying to build a fully Tizen ecosystem. Their flagship phones will transition to it eventually too. That is, if it they can pull it off.
They're gonna have to change a whole lot of things for it to work. Exclusivity in a saturated market isn't the way to go to me. Google saw the writing on the wall with opening their watches to even more market instead. Samsung tv with limited abilities or Chrome stick/Fire sick to do the same thing no matter the brand?
It's like they're trying to be Sony during the video tape platform wars. Remember Betamax? Beat the snot out of vhs in picture/sound quality. Remember dvdhd vs Blueray? Sony wised up and adapted that time, eventually winning the war, for lack of a better term.
To me it looks like Samsung is throwing mud at the wall hoping something sticks with their watches. I'm already looking at the 360 large for my next watch because I really don't think there'll be a Gear 3 unless they adapt to at least getting away from Samsung phones only.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Note8

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Good comparison, because they're trying to be Sony, but they're not. Where Sony won those wars is the fact that there's a division of Sony that produces a ton of content that related directly to those types of technology. Sammy doesn't have that ace up their sleeve.

I'm not saying, by any means, that I think what they're doing is right. You know me well enough to know that I'm a die-hard android guy and actually am looking towards a non-Samsung device when I next upgrade my phone. I'm just saying, the writing is on the wall as to what they're TRYING to do. I totally agree with you that I think it's a foolish move and likely won't succeed.

I doubt we'll see them release a line of flagship phones that are ONLY Tizen for many years, if ever. They'll have to stay in the Android game to keep their numbers, which are already starting to dwindle anyway.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Methinks only us geeks and technologists in the know will care whether or not a smartwatch is running Tizen, WebOS, Android Wear or Other. People will just see what the watch can do, like connect to their phone, give them text updates, give them their heartrate, provide some type of feedback. They don't care about the underlying OS....except Apple fans; where if it aint an Apple watch, it's not worth a darn.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Their biggest hurdle is growing their own Tizen app store. I've read that they are literally BEGGING developers to create aps for them. This was more than a trivial issue in the early days of Android when it was much more profitable (and easier) to develop for IOS.

MS has had the same problem with their app store. Tizen on a few millions smartwatches, if that, isn't going to create any incentive for developers.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Methinks only us geeks and technologists in the know will care whether or not a smartwatch is running Tizen, WebOS, Android Wear or Other. People will just see what the watch can do, like connect to their phone, give them text updates, give them their heartrate, provide some type of feedback. They don't care about the underlying OS....except Apple fans. If it aint an Apple watch, it's not worth a darn.
While I agree with you completely, I still have to think that someone who doesn't care buying a Tizen watch, especially if they don't have a Samsung phone, is in for a world of confusion and frustration that they wouldn't have to deal with if it was AW and/or as simple to setup. Now, when Sammy releases this rumored app that allows their watches to be setup without a Samsung phone, that'll be another story. I'm aware that they can be used with a non-Samsung phone, but have to be setup with one, if I'm not mistaken. This is a step that's gonna piss some people off if they're not aware of it when they purchase the device.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Their biggest hurdle is growing their own Tizen app store. I've read that they are literally BEGGING developers to create aps for them. This was more than a trivial issue in the early days of Android when it was much more profitable (and easier) to develop for IOS.

MS has had the same problem with their app store. Tizen on a few millions smartwatches, if that, isn't going to create any incentive for developers.
Great point for sure. Though I know from @mountainbikermark's posts about cool apps he's found for the Gear S, you're absolutely right. Even Microsoft has given in and announced that they're making it super easy to port apps over to work with Windows devices.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Another hurdle is how those developers are going to get paid. With Android and iOS apps there can be a free version with ads. With any watch platform that's not feasible at the moment and developers are running into the hurdle of people being spoiled by so many free apps on their platform of choice. I'll give an example of a totally standings notes app I see that looks very promising on Tizen but it's $3. I have one that is a companion to the phone that was $1, thus I got a notes app that works on my phone and on my watch and syncs between them, thus much more bang for buck. Me being spoiled by so many years of freebies or super cheap ones I can't justify the extra for less capability even though I do think the developer should get paid. What my friend, who is a Tizen b developer does is put his on sale BUT Samsung Gear Store is such a cluster mess unless you know what to look for you'll never find it. Dual Timer was found under a category not productivity, something like social networking. His Bible app is under fonts, if I remember correctly and Green Dots game isn't under games in their store. About the only thing that you can do is manually search terms or names like I found Green Dots by searching Green or his name. Not conducive to increasing sales of apps. It's a mess in that store.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I agree with you completely, I still have to think that someone who doesn't care buying a Tizen watch, especially if they don't have a Samsung phone, is in for a world of confusion and frustration that they wouldn't have to deal with if it was AW and/or as simple to setup. Now, when Sammy releases this rumored app that allows their watches to be setup without a Samsung phone, that'll be another story. I'm aware that they can be used with a non-Samsung phone, but have to be setup with one, if I'm not mistaken. This is a step that's gonna piss some people off if they're not aware of it when they purchase the device.
I have a friend who was a day of release adopter of the Gear S and when I asked about it he was clueless about Tizen or Android Wear so I had to Google which platform it was using because Samsung was already running the Live on AW, the Fit on some foreign os and the Gear 2 on Tizen. Where would I go to get apps for the darn thing? He had upgraded from a Gear 1 to a Gear 2 so he already had the new Gear Store on his phone when he got his S.
Too much work will only drive away even more sales from those that think it's shiny and neat but not necessary.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I like the look of the black watch. There's also no flat tire.