Samsung may slim down Touchwiz

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
c123818de0ddb870b205f55989502a78.jpg

If there is one area about Samsung we can all agree is their Achilles heel is the bloat added to Touchwiz. In between all the S Features as well as carrier's bloat apps the phone is already 10-15% loaded once you turn it on out of the box. Well looks as if Samsung, feeling the heat of Apple on their necks, want to do whatever they can to get those extra customers and what better way then to eliminate the bloat. Samsung may do like Google have done with the Nexus 6 5.0 and allow users to uninstall preloaded apps that used to be system apps. We are still going to have to wait to see if this will include S features and carrier apps. But if Samsung make the move to cleaning up Touchwiz as well as offering more developer options (that allows for easily unlocking the bootloader) I can see them gathering even more android users. My reason for choosing the Nexus 6 over the Note 4 was because of the bloat associated with Touchwiz that slows down the system after using it a year.

Sources:
Exclusive Samsung removing bloat from TouchWiz making most of it downloadable SamMobile
Samsung reportedly rushing to dismantle TouchWiz as it feels heat from Apple in Q4 9to5Google

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Still looks too cartoony, though I like where they are headed. I would have definitely bought a Note 4, if I had all the S-Pen features with stock Android look.

Without having to put a custom ROM on it.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Still looks too cartoony, though I like where they are headed. I would have definitely bought a Note 4, if I had all the S-Pen features with stock Android look.

Without having to put a custom ROM on it.

A Launcher would solve that. It's one if the few gripes I have never understood on Android devices. We have tons of options.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
A Launcher would solve that. It's one if the few gripes I have never understood on Android devices. We have tons of options.
True but the services continue to run in the background as well as you lose some of your s pen features (at least you did with the note 2, haven't owned a galaxy phone after that) unless you root and use xposed which currently will not work on ART (what lollipop is built on).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
My only issue with TW is that they caved in and went with those goofy bright colors. I feel the same way about iOS. I like the darker themes which they removed.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
True but the services continue to run in the background as well as you lose some of your s pen features (at least you did with the note 2, haven't owned a galaxy phone after that) unless you root and use xposed which currently will not work on ART (what lollipop is built on).

There are no S Pen features lost with Nova on the Note 4 that I've noticed. Everything works perfectly.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are no S Pen features lost with Nova on the Note 4 that I've noticed. Everything works perfectly.
You can still use s note and other note related widgets.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I rooted and in installed AL bloatware and installed yahoo aviate. My n3 is sweet now. No bloat at all

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That's what I love about the unlocked versions. Zero bloat apps.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

Well, it would and it wouldn't. Yes the home screens/app drawer would look different, but go into the settings and they have the same terrible color scheming you mention here.

My only issue with TW is that they caved in and went with those goofy bright colors. I feel the same way about iOS. I like the darker themes which they removed.