Samsung Knox completely insecure and compromised.

Tonik

Reaction score
OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
Oh my, further into the article we see that they generate the encryption key using hard coded strings and the device ID.

What he ultimately discovered was that Knox simply uses the device's Android ID, a serial number any app can request from the system, "together with a hardcoded string and mix them for the encryption key. I would have expected from a product, called Knox, a different approach."

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
1. Consider the source of said article. Of course this is coming from Samsung's arch rival.
2. Any OS can be compromised.
3. You'll find positive & negative articles all over the web regarding the security of any device.... PCMAG

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So what the researcher is saying (and this shill of an article fails to point out) is that to compromise Knox you first have to bypass a fingerprint scan, then bypass a pin code, then bypass a password to then attempt to access encrypted system files. Got it.

IsixedThat

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
So what the researcher is saying (and this shill of an article fails to point out) is that to compromise Knox you first have to bypass a fingerprint scan, then bypass a pin code, then bypass a password to then attempt to access encrypted system files. Got it.

IsixedThat
Piece of cake!

Sent from my Note 4

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score

IsixedThat
No, that isn't what it is saying at all.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
So how do you access the plain text files that are wrapped in a security blanket of the items I mentioned above?

IsixedThat

OP
T

Tonik

Reaction score
So how do you access the plain text files that are wrapped in a security blanket of the items I mentioned above?

IsixedThat
Not sure why are so focused on physical access. It will happen via a malicious app using the file encryption key that can be reversed very easily since it is now well known. IT Security is what I do man, this is game over for Knox until they fix it.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm not questioning your knowledge of security, I am genuinely interested as to how it would work.

Aren't Knox installed apps sandboxed? How will it leave the sandbox to get to the files?