Samsung Gear S3 Frontier Bluetooth Question

Marcial1219

Reaction score
I am considering the purchase of a Gear S3 watch. I have a concern about how it connects to your phone via Bluetooth....

When I get in my car, I want my phone to be connected to it for phone calls, streaming music, etc. Is there a way to make the watch disconnect automatically, or do you have to do it manually every time you get in and out of the car?

Thanks!

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Unless Samsung watches are different, smart watches use BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) to connect to the phone. So your phone will still connect to other traditional Bluetooth devices, like your car, for calls and texts. Again, that's how most Android Wear watches work and Samsung could be different. I know a coworker who has a Samsung watch connected to his Pixel phone and he listens to music connected to a Bose Bluetooth speaker.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
A quick Google search showed that Samsung does use BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) as the connection between their watches & a phone. I kind of figured they had to. BLE is different than a normal Bluetooth 3.0 / 4.0 connection, like with a vehicle or speaker, etc. BLE allows the watch and phone to stay connected 24/7 without killing the phone battery the way traditional Bluetooth would. So yes, you would be able to play music and have calls go over the vehicle Bluetooth with the watch connected and not have to disconnect or do anything.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
BLE is BLE. It works the same on all Android phones

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If it's a modern Android phone that supports Bluetooth then the watch will connect via the BLE protocol. Other Bluetooth devices will connect over the traditional BT 3.0 / 4.0 protocol, like speakers, cars, etc. I don't think that's gonna be different functionality on any modern Android phone. Samsung website says the watch uses BLE so it's gonna connect via BLE. Other devices will connect over normal Bluetooth.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Happy shopping Marcial1219! Hope you enjoy your new smart watch if you do buy one. After wearing them for 3+ years I would feel lost without one.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
If it's a modern Android phone that supports Bluetooth then the watch will connect via the BLE protocol. Other Bluetooth devices will connect over the traditional BT 3.0 / 4.0 protocol, like speakers, cars, etc. I don't think that's gonna be different functionality on any modern Android phone. Samsung website says the watch uses BLE so it's gonna connect via BLE. Other devices will connect over normal Bluetooth.

shows you are not 100 percent sure when you said "you don't think" that is the reason why I gave the warning because there could be something out there and the poster could have it.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The poster has been a member of this forum since 2010 and has numerous posts in the Samsung community. If he or she has a reputable phone made since 2012 or so then yes, the watch will connect using BLE and other Bluetooth devices will connect using standard Bluetooth protocols. I have been using BLE devices since 2013 and have never had an issue connecting a standard Bluetooth device to the same phone that has Bluetooth BLE devices connected at the same time.

As I said....happy shopping Marcial1219 and enjoy your new watch.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
there you go again assuming. I cannot read minds, I have only been a member here for a year and one month. I can only go by what is currently being posted because people change phones. or they could be talking about another phone. You cannot always assume things.

this is my last post to you about this.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
He or she has been around here longer than you and I combined so let's give him or her some credit. The watch will work exactly as asked.

OP
M

Marcial1219

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. My phone is currently a Note 8, but I upgrade at least every other year.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Thanks for all the replies. My phone is currently a Note 8, but I upgrade at least every other year.
Then the watch will work as described; it will connect over Bluetooth BLE and other devices like your car and speakers will connect over regular Bluetooth. No need to disconnect the phone & watch when getting in your vehicle, etc. They run on different Bluetooth protocols.