smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Since I pre-ordered the Galaxy Note 7 thru Best Buy, I received the Gear Fit2 as a free gift. After using the watch for a couple of days, here a few thoughts on it...

The watch is very nice in design from the watch band which is easy to put one (the band on one end slides thru the end of the band on the other side and then hooks into the band holes - much like that of the Apple watch). I have not done any extreme exercise, but the band has stayed snapped in place with no issues (I think even if it came loose, it would take it some effort for it to fall off as it would have to pass thru the loop). The bands are removable but I have not looked at replacement options.

The Fit2 is currently paired with my Moto Z Force and it uses the same app as Samsung's other watches - although I did have to download and install the Gear Fit2 Plug-in from the Play Store.

There are several pre-installed watch faces that are designed to give you necessary fitness info - which is quite nice. While this would not be considered a "smart" watch, it does allow notifications from the phone to the watch and you are able to select what notifications you wish to receive. I use the Verizon Messages app which I cannot reply from the watch but with the gMail notifications, you can reply with "canned text replies".

You can download additional watchfaces and apps thru the Galaxy App store, although the selection is not as diverse as it is with the Gear SmartWatches - which is no surprise as this is a fitness watch.

The watch seems to accurately track my "steps" and I really like that it counts "stairs or floors". I do not feel that the calorie burning is that accurate as it shows activity upon taking it off the charger while everything is reset to "0", it is at 500+.

It comes with a dock style charger, charges fairly fast and the battery life has been fairly solid in the couple of days that I have used it. Again, I am not a runner so I have not used it running and cannot comment on the use of GPS and if that affects battery life (my guess would be that it certainly could).

The watch fits nicely on my wrist, I like the elongated screen and it is easy to read (inside and out).

So far, no real downsides for me but that could change with more use.

I am pretty sure that @YankInDaSouth has one of these and can probably provide much more insight. I did not try the first model of the Fit as @mountainbikermark has, but the watch is pretty solid and I would think it has great potential providing you with both fitness tracking info and phone notifications as needed / wanted.

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
A few screens of the Gear App... The first is the pre-installed watch faces, many of these can be customized. The second is some of the watch faces in the galaxy app store and the last screen is off the Gear Manager app which shows options for the Fit2 settings.

uploadfromtaptalk1470602629606.png

uploadfromtaptalk1470602638091.png

uploadfromtaptalk1470602646517.png

~sent while mobile~

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check your sleep tracker as on the S2 and Fit 2 it's automatic out of the box and that could be where the erroneous calory count is coming from. It tracks calories burned while sleeping as well as steps and exercise. It might think you're sleeping and it's on your wrist while it's charging.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I've had the Fit2 for 3 weeks and I like it, but I'm not in love with it.
I'm getting great battery with it. Easily 3 days, but I also take it off when I get home and don't wear it overnight either. I believe I am getting great battery for those reasons, and because I have the auto screen on feature turned off out of annoyance.

I have only had the strap come undone a couple times, probably because I didn't clasp it well enough, but I have yet to have it come off my wrist thanks to the little loopy thing lol.

I don't like that I have to keep Bluetooth on with my phone for the step count to be real-time. With my FitBit, it would continue to update connected or not. Maybe I'm missing a setting, I don't know.

I haven't been successful in adding music to the device, but I have not had a need to do so either. I also have not connected a Bluetooth headset to it either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Check your sleep tracker as on the S2 and Fit 2 it's automatic out of the box and that could be where the erroneous calory count is coming from. It tracks calories burned while sleeping as well as steps and exercise. It might think you're sleeping and it's on your wrist while it's charging.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
My sleep tracker is turned off in S Health, is there another setting that I need to check?

I never sleep in any of my watches so I have always ensured that it is disabled in S Health but if the watches come with it automatically enabled somewhere, I can't find it lol.

~sent while mobile~

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I think I saw this in Best Buy the other day when I went to get a new router.
I was impressed. I didn't think I'd like it but it is visually a real treat. The screen is flat out gorgeous.
Don't think I'll ever own one, but I do think Sammy has a winner here.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My sleep tracker is turned off in S Health, is there another setting that I need to check?

I never sleep in any of my watches so I have always ensured that it is disabled in S Health but if the watches come with it automatically enabled somewhere, I can't find it lol.

~sent while mobile~
On the watch itself you have it turned off?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
On the watch itself you have it turned off?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Where actually is it on the watch? I have not found anything to turn off...I am sure I am overlooking it.

~sent while mobile~

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll post how when I find out. I could've sworn a competitor forum had a thread about it in the Gear S2 section but I haven't found it yet.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I cannot find any type of "sleep app" on my watch. I even looked at the Galaxy App store to see if there was something I could install & I didn't find anything.

~sent while mobile~

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I cannot find any type of "sleep app" on my watch. I even looked at the Galaxy App store to see if there was something I could install & I didn't find anything.

~sent while mobile~
Is there an s health type app widget on the watch?
c35be1e50ba553869f6746d449cab445.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
No, everything is individual... Steps, stairs, heartbeat, etc... Which now might be a good time to figure out how to take a screenshot.

~sent while mobile~

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, everything is individual... Steps, stairs, heartbeat, etc... Which now might be a good time to figure out how to take a screenshot.

~sent while mobile~
Home button and slide left to right on previous generation Gears so I suppose it's the same for yours to do a screen shot. Try tap the sleep one then see if a 3 dot icon shows up in the next screen upper right. Maybe similar to mine
62d476e2399764d56d9b2a459352d97d.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

ngt

Reaction score
I don't know if we're allowed to sell stuff on this website or not, but I got one with my note 7 and haven't opened it. Black, large, $80 + ship. That's lower than ebay auctions up now that have bids. If this is against the rules, please delete!