Samsung Galaxy Tab Way!! Overpriced?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by WenWM, Nov 1, 2010.

1. WenWM

WenWM Premium Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Have you heard about the Galaxy Tab being a great tablet for a great price? Well I guess we are just finding out that the great price thing is not so great. After a quick run through of the hardware composite in the new Tab, iSuppli determined that everything the new Android tablet is made of would total around $205 dollars for Samsung to make. Now that $205 taken away from the $699 BestBuy is asking right now for T-mobile users is a huge margin. So the question of what the heck are we paying for comes in.

I think the price includes, like Phandroid said; workers, research and development costs, factory maintenance, software development, marketing, distribution. Regardless that is still a pretty high price, and is something similar to what Apple is being charged for every iPad sold, so it is not as bad of a thing to do.

Do you think this price is actually fair for us to be paying, or could they bring it down to 499 like Apple has?
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo New Member

definitely way too expensive....
  3. ja2038

ja2038 New Member

Bring it down to $499? Huh?

I've never owned an Apple product and yet, at $499, I'm buying the iPad.

Try $300. $350 max. Let it compete with netbooks and small laptops like the Dell 13.
  4. wmnomore

wmnomore New Member

5. wmnomore

wmnomore New Member

I guess it's not a dual-boot. mistake. Hope there aren't other mistakes on this.
    TEGRA 2 baby! and Capacitive.
  6. beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

I'm not an expert by any means but I think the price is set high so the break-even point will be low. I don't think Samsung expects this to be a huge seller. As for 'is it a fair price?', any price we are willing to pay is fair - I'm just not willing. I hope it doesn't end up sinking the Android tablet market if people gravitate to the better known product with the higher acceptance factor (i*ad).
  7. wsbsteven

wsbsteven New Member

8. FranklinWalker

FranklinWalker New Member

i think it is expensive
  9. jhanford

jhanford New Member

10. jhanford

jhanford New Member

In response to beejaycee, I think that's exactly what will happen. Samsung in the tablet world is an unknown.

Ironically all the press around the time of the iPad launch claiming it was just a large iTouch worked in it's favour as it was already a known quantity, so Apple could easily ask the premium.

For me, $350-$400 would have made the most sense: it's more capable than the most expensive e-readers, but not a known quantity like i*

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  11. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

It has been confirmed that the Sears ad is real and there are now YouTube Videos of these devices in use by new owners. The units are indeed Tegra 2 250 as well as running 2.2 and 512MB RAM. No 3G/SIM but Wifi and MicroSD card slots are in it.
  12. JohnAP2

JohnAP2 New Member

Overpriced to the point of being sickening. I'm all for paying for the "toys" I like, but when it starts to feel like a rip-off they can keep it...
  13. jhanford

jhanford New Member

Well, colour me corrected. It shows they're out of stock... Now with good reason!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  14. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I'm holding off on an Android tablet til GB comes out.... supposed to be more optimized to run on the tablet platform.... 2.2 is not built with tablets in mind.
  15. mach330

mach330 New Member

wow. that is overpriced. is it confirmed that the wifi only version is coming? i hope that's $499 at most. they
  16. Eddog4DROID

Eddog4DROID New Member

Samsung missed the mark here. The Tab looks much more professional than the iPad and is a much better size for a businessman I believe. For multimedia, go get the other device if you want that--or better yet, wait for an Android version to come out.

They could have competed but they will not with this price-tag. Very unfortunate.

I would seriously consider this if the price dropped to $399 wifi version only (with my DROID tethering to it when needed).
Search tags for this page

samsung overpriced