Samsung Galaxy Tab off to great start, 600,000 units sold

J

JohnDroid

Samsung was the first 'tier 1' hardware manufacturer to offer some legitimate competition to the Apple iPad in our opinion. According to the Korean Herald, they've sold 600,000 units globally in the first month of availability. I wouldn't quite call that a smashing success, but I would go so far as to say that sales were brisk and probably exceeded the expectations of a lot of people out there.

Samsung was very smart in the fact that they put all the hardware necessary to work on almost every carrier out there. You can get a Verizon version, an AT&T version, a Sprint version and a T-Mobile version. Then there are all the overseas carriers that it will work with as well.

We have our very own Samsung Galaxy Tab section here on Droidforums.net -- so you can visit that here: Samsung Galaxy Tab - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Also, don't forget - we have a full site dedicated to all the different Android Tablets out there at the Android Tablet Forum - and a full section for the Samsung Galaxy Tab there as well: Samsung Galaxy Tab Forum

OP
B

BUFFALOMADMAN

600,000 worldwide and that is considered a lot? I dont know maybe just me but does not seem like a lot of product sold for it being "worldwide"

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
If I were to get a tablet, it would be this one: Meet the ViewSonic G Tablet - gTablet . I however have an iPad I just got from my work and realized one very big thing, I have no real use for it at home. I have a DroidX that is always at my fingertips. I have a laptop on my coffee table that I use for bigger stuff and of course my Desktop as my media server/game station.

I can see a use for tablets for people that don't own a computer and only need it for the purposes it offers. But other than that, there isn't much of a use for tablets other than novelty.

Lacking a keyboard is a real hampering even though the larger virtual keyboard is nice. I know you can get a dock for the iPad so you can use a keyboard, but then why not use a laptop?

I'll use the iPad they gave me, but I have a feeling it will stay mostly at work and if it does go home with me, my daughter will be using it to watch movies.

OP
B

BUFFALOMADMAN

when does that viewsonci tablet you linked come out? looks pretty tight

nerdkill

Reaction score
there's a few tablets i've seen online that look promising until you realize they don't have market access. some people have said that it's because you have to be on gingerbread for tablet apps, but i think it's because you have to be a part of the national handset alliance or something like that? or is it because everyone wants to have their own app store to make money off of it? anyone know what the deal is?

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
I went into the Verizon store today and played with this tablet for a bit. IMO it is a POS. Definitely not worth the $599 they are asking for it. I feel they need to drop the price about $400 before i would even consider it. The Samsung fascinate phone is 10x better than this tablet. There is no contest between the IPad and this Device...

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Ipad sold more on launch date, and has 3 million sold now.