Samsung Galaxy Tab for the big 3 wireless carriers?

J

JohnDroid

The Android Tablet scene has exploded in the past 40 days. We've seen hundreds of different tablets come out from players large and small. However, none of them really had that feel of 'polished product' yet -- however, we've seen some glimmers of products coming out in the future that we believe will have the polish to truly put them into the market to compete against the iPad.

The first product to come out that will do this? The Samsung Galaxy Tab. The great thing about Samsung is that they have shown an understanding of this market. It's not enough to have good hardware, you need the software too. In addition, good hardware and software won't sell your product if the customer can't buy it... or if the customer doesn't have coverage.

With that knowledge they've decided to manufacture the Samsung Galaxy Tab with an impressive hardware list. The tab will also be running Android 2.2 out of the box, the latest and greatest available from Google. Sounds like enough? Well, not if you ask Samsung. According to the Wall Street Journal they will also be selling multiple Tab versions that work on all 3 of the big carrier networks: Verizon Wireless, Sprint Wireless and AT&T Wireless.

With hardware, software and great coverage you can't go wrong. We hope to see Samsung rewarded for this bold move and a great push to really get Android in the hands of as many people as possible in a format that they want.

We have an Android Tablet Forum to discuss topics like these, just visit Android Tablet Forum. If the Samsung Galaxy Tab is a specific need of yours, we have a section there dedicated entirely to that device at this URL: Samsung Galaxy Tab Forum

(Source: Android Tablet Forum)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Call me one of those users who'd love a tablet, just NOT WITH 3G. I mean, 3G is great, but I'm happy to cut $50 from the device (and hell yeah another $30/month data plan). Just give me a cheaper unit with wifi and I'll be satisfied. And I'm not interested in being suckered into a subsidized plan. Already fell for that with the Droid! :icon_evil:

-Matt

RemyL75

Reaction score
Call me one of those users who'd love a tablet, just NOT WITH 3G. I mean, 3G is great, but I'm happy to cut $50 from the device (and hell yeah another $30/month data plan). Just give me a cheaper unit with wifi and I'll be satisfied. And I'm not interested in being suckered into a subsidized plan. Already fell for that with the Droid! :icon_evil:

-Matt

I agree. Do i love tablets... HELL YEAH!!

Do I want another 2 yr contract added on my family plan... HELL NO!!!

3G is nice and all, but if i get the Galaxy Tab on contract, I'll have another Data Plan to add to my bill (plus the extra 10/month for adding that line). Sorry, but that 3G on contract is one selling point that isn't gonna work on me lol

TheOldFart

Reaction score
My guess is that they will eventually offer a tablet w/o requiring a contract and w/o 3G, but it won't have access to the Android market. It seems like none of the wifi Android tablets have Android market access, unless I missed one that does.

Darkseider

Reaction score
This thing is nifty but nothing I would go gaga over. I am hoping for the Toshiba Folio 100 to get the full root treatment and then I will import the bugger. The Tab is nice but is nothing more than a 7" Galaxy S. I want next generation hardware in my tablet and the Folio 100 is sporting the Tegra 2 250 (Dual core Cortex A9) with a geforce GPU. Here's hoping....

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
My guess is that they will eventually offer a tablet w/o requiring a contract and w/o 3G, but it won't have access to the Android market. It seems like none of the wifi Android tablets have Android market access, unless I missed one that does.
That's an interesting point, but I'm not sure I follow. I understood that market access is about hardware specs (e.g., screen size/resolution) not mode of access. Can you elaborate?

ATM I have a Pandigital tablet (marketed as Ereader) with Android 2.0. Users have hacked market access. In my case I just download whatever I want on my Droid, then copy it over. Not fast, but it is foolproof. It'd be nice to do it all like an Android phone, though.

-Matt

Boofster

Reaction score
I will only get one if it can play MKV's (at the gym) and have stable WIFI (droid currently drops wifi 90% of the time)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I will only get one if it can play MKV's (at the gym) and have stable WIFI (droid currently drops wifi 90% of the time)
You're talking about "stationary bike", not "weightlifting", right? :p

BTW, sounds like you have a defective Droid. I think Wifi is one of it's strong features.

-Matt

TheOldFart

Reaction score
That's an interesting point, but I'm not sure I follow. I understood that market access is about hardware specs (e.g., screen size/resolution) not mode of access. Can you elaborate?

ATM I have a Pandigital tablet (marketed as Ereader) with Android 2.0. Users have hacked market access. In my case I just download whatever I want on my Droid, then copy it over. Not fast, but it is foolproof. It'd be nice to do it all like an Android phone, though.

-Matt

You might be correct about it being tied to hardware specs. I don't know. the only thing that I have observed is that all the Android tablets not tied to 3G have no access to the entire Android market. I'm talking tabs like the Archos and others. It seems like none of these have access to the entire market. The reason might be hardware or it might be because some sort of agreement between Google and the providers. I'm just posting an observation and a guess.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I get your point. Why Google seems reluctant to allow tablet-makers to fill the niche in the ecosystem seems really odd to me. I get that there's a concern about how apps will look/act...but I can run several on my 800x600 Pandigital that were designed for a smaller screen, just fine (e.g., ereaders, games, media players, web browsers, etc.). It's actually pretty impressive that the app developer may not have anticipated their program on a larger device, and yet it works fine great.

-Matt

YoungVan

Reaction score
Samsung galaxy tab is smaller and therefore handier, though you will squint a bit more. It has some freedoms that the iPad lacks, such as Adobe Flash, MicroSD, and FLAC playback. It has a camera. You will not need iTunes in order to interoperate with a PC.It offers PC-like web-browsing on a 7-inch display. Moreover, users can continuously communicate via e-mail, voice and much more you can do.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Samsung galaxy tab is smaller and therefore handier, though you will squint a bit more. It has some freedoms that the iPad lacks, such as Adobe Flash, MicroSD, and FLAC playback. It has a camera. You will not need iTunes in order to interoperate with a PC.It offers PC-like web-browsing on a 7-inch display. Moreover, users can continuously communicate via e-mail, voice and much more you can do.

This is the first tablet that I have seen, although there might be others, that has 1024 x 600 in a 7 inch screen. In my opinion, that is perfect for a tablet. Too small for a netbook, but a tablet is designed to be held comfortably. I think the 10 inch ones are too heavy. Now if I can get one without paying another $40 monthly for a line and a data plan. I just want it with wifi access. I think that is one thing that Apple did smart, allowing 3G to be an option.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Resolution isn't a deal-breaker for me. Long as I can see it (squinting when web surfing on a Droid is getting old... FAST lol), then i am good.

As for the weight issue, Archos 101 (10.1" screen) is 1.09 lbs, less than the iPad.

I agree with the 3G as and option. Paying extra for another data plan is overkill for me (have 2 smartphones, so 2 data plans). Another reason why I am looking REALLY HARD at the Archos tablets. None of the offer 3G, which is fine by me.