Samsung Galaxy SIII

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
20arjhy.jpg

One of the big reasons we all chose the Samsung Galaxy Nexus was how it was going to continue to get updates from Verizon/Samsung and have tremendous dev support until your 2year contract is up. However, if the Samsung Galaxy SIII(3) is released on Verizon, will you be interested?

First of all, I love my Nexus. As someone said in another thread, I'm still in my "honeymoon" stage with the phone as are many other members. But the Nexus definitely could have come out better as it is lacking in areas. A 5mp camera? It has amazing "no shutter-lag" speed and if you know anything about cameras you know Mega Pixels aren't everything.. but how is it they could not have made it at least 8mp's? It's hard to boast about your new phone when it has some of the same hardware as phones 3years prior to it.

No sdCard? Cloud storage this, cloud storage that, one of the main reasons we all had over the i*hone was the ability to brag that once your internal memory was up, you could have 16-64more gigs expandable storage via expandable storage. Cloud storage is not yet the future and poses problems still.. if your data drops, your kind of screwed. I still have 15gigs left on my phone, but that extra memory would be nice to have if I ever hit that "1gig of memory" left.

The Samsung Galaxy SIII is rumored to have an
HD Super Amoled display fashioned with a 1280 x 720 powerful resolution(we can guess gorilla glass), 2GB RAM and 32GB with (hopefully) an sdcard slot, 2GHz duel-core processor(we can only hope it has an amazing battery similar to the MAXX too if it's going to hold that bad boy), a whopping 12mp camera, and 3D technology which we assume you can disable if you don't like it - but it's nice to have just in case you do and want to show off to your friends. Not to mention the latest and greatest version of Android OS.

With that, and if we're able to unlock the bootloader and it's on Verizon, will you consider buying it? It's pretty tempting to say the least and I'm sure this is going to get quite a bit of dev support as well I would assume.

I for one still have upgrades left to be able to get this, and others may too. Others may not so this phone isn't even an option. But if you're like me or willing to pay full price, would you already upgrade from your Nexus to this? Or do you even care?

If you love tech like I do, that may be all the reason to buy the phone regardless.

Leave comments below on your opinion!

Last edited:

Fightnfire

Reaction score
I thought the same thing about the 5mp camera but I find it takes significantly better pics that my Droid X or my wifes T-Bolt, plus it takes them amazingly quickly. Even compared to the Rezound the pics are better IMO. MP's don't really mean much unless you're talking 2 vs. 8 or 3 vs. 10. Several review sites noted the better than expected picture quality when compared to the Rezound or the Razr.

I just got my Nexus this week so I'll be with it for a while yet.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The little gap also really only matters if you're printing your pictures off. This phone definitely takes better pictures than my OG Droid and Droid 3 that had an 8mp. But to casual phone users or even camera users, 5 vs 8 is a factor on whether to get it or not.

ShinyTop

Reaction score
I don't get phones for bragging rights. I just use it and if it suits my needs, alright. If you need to have the best for bragging rights no phone will be worth bragging about for long, including the SIII.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
My upgrade was available since November and I waited for the Galaxy Nexus DancingNexus. Than the GSIII was rumored and MWC is right around the corner, so I'm waiting for the GSIII (or a quad core phone.):blink:

I know, I know, there's a little chance for the GSIII being available for VZW, but yet there is still a chance due to GSIII rumored to be a LTE device and GSIII confirmed not to be at the MWC.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't get phones for bragging rights. I just use it and if it suits my needs, alright. If you need to have the best for bragging rights no phone will be worth bragging about for long, including the SIII.
Well phone definitely comes first. But I also love technology as all the advancements and whatnot fascinate me to no end it seems, and I'm sure others on this forum do too.. that's one reason I love the Nexus, all the features it has. So I want both. :p

My upgrade was available since November and I waited for the Galaxy Nexus DancingNexus. Than the GSIII was rumored and MWC is right around the corner, so I'm waiting for the GSIII (or a quad core phone.):blink:

I know, I know, there's a little chance for the GSIII being available for VZW, but yet there is still a chance due to GSIII rumored to be a LTE device and GSIII confirmed not to be at the MWC.
Good reason. Samsung did however say this phone will not be announced at MWC though. But still rumored for a release around May.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Unless its got Nexus in its name, I'm not interested. :biggrin:

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon doesn't see another Nexus on its network. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but its just my opinion.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Unless its got Nexus in its name, I'm not interested. :biggrin:
Agreed.

I don't think the Nexus and the SIII will be so different to warrant use of another upgrade. I chose the Nexus because it has everything and more than what I need and it also has developer support for what I predict will be at least 2.5yrs. This phone is indeed developer friendly (not to say the SIII won't be), but this is as close to the OG Droid as Verizon has had. Sure it's not as popular (as we have more options now compared to back then when the Eris was the only "competition"), but I'm sure it will have the same support. Developers have since only improved and the quality of ROMs now are going to be much better imo.

The SIII will be a solid phone I'm sure, but nothing can pry my fingers off my Nexus unless it's the Nexus 2, which better not come out in 2012.:D

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon doesn't see another Nexus on its network. I REALLY hope I'm wrong, but its just my opinion.

I imagine they won't ever get an exclusive deal again, but I'm sure they'll see the Nexus again if they continue to be popular.

As for the SGSIII, I don't know that Verizon will even get it honestly. I'm sure it'll be great though considering the success of the SGSII and all of it's variants.

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well if so and it is "exclusive"(quotations because other carriers are still supposed to get it.. aka Sprint), I sure hope it's advertised better!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I'm going to predict that vzw will keep the Nexus line and not get the S3. We shall see!

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I kind of have a feeling of that too.. but I'm not sure. Verizon messed up not taking the GS2 which I think they realized, and with that phone getting more popular and more advertised on the "Samsung vs iPhone" commercials, I feel like they're going to be a lot more interested in taking in this phone.

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Maybe. I kind of have a feeling of that too.. but I'm not sure. Verizon messed up not taking the GS2 which I think they realized, and with that phone getting more popular and more advertised on the "Samsung vs iPhone" commercials, I feel like they're going to be a lot more interested in taking in this phone.

Yes exactly, I like how the Nexus has the on screen buttons, but I prefer the gs2>nexus>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>iPhone 4s...but I would take a nexus right now

Motorola Xoom: Team EOS ICS Nightlies