Samsung Galaxy SII with 1.2GHz CPU Confirmed for UK Launch May 1st

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Samsung-Galaxy-S2-i9100.jpg

Here is some good news for our Android readers in the UK. The Samsung Galaxy S II has been officially confirmed for a May 1st launch, and it will come with the 1.2GHz CPU that was previously rumored. Word on the streets still suggests that folks in the US will get it this month. There is also still no absolute confirmation which carrier will get it, but we will let you know as we find out more. Here's the full press release below:
SAMSUNG ANNOUNCES UK AVAILABILITY OF THE GALAXY S II

Samsung’s most powerful smartphone yet set to hit UK shores on 1st May

11th April 2011, London, UK – Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., today announces that its slimmest and lightest smartphone yet, the Samsung Galaxy S II (Model: GT-I9100), will be available in UK shops on 1st May 2011. The Galaxy S II is the first handset to offer Samsung’s Super AMOLED Plus screen technology, the largest, brightest and most colourful screen available in Samsung’s portfolio of devices.

Super slim (8.49mm) and lightweight (116g) Samsung’s Galaxy S II runs on Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) and is super-fast thanks to its dual-core 1.2GHz processor. The device’s exceptionally bright screen makes it perfect for watching movies and TV or playing games and looking at apps, with its ground-breaking ‘organic’ LED technology, Super AMOLED Plus also saving energy so you can enjoy watching content without affecting the battery life.

The Galaxy S II is built for multi-tasking, its dual-core processor makes switching between applications and loading web pages such as Google, Yahoo and YouTube quick, whilst superior 3D hardware means games and videos can be loaded and played with ease. What’s more, there’s immediate access to content and services such as catch up TV and movie downloads, thanks to super-fast connectivity and WiFi, with speeds up to 21Mbps which provides increased download speeds, and Bluetooth 3.0+HS which reduces data transfer times significantly.

Simon Stanford, Managing Director, Mobile, Samsung UK and Ireland said: “From the moment it was revealed at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona there has been a huge buzz about the Galaxy S II, so we’re pleased to announce that it will be available for UK customers to buy from 1st May. Our slimmest, lightest, fastest smartphone is our first device to offer of Super AMOLED Plus screen technology, alongside the most advanced technical specifications including the latest Android OS and a dual core processor. We’re confident it’s a great package for anyone wanting a superior smartphone experience.”

The Galaxy S II also features an 8 megapixel camera with 1080p HD recording and playback, Samsung’s patented AllShare technology so you can share pictures, movies, and music with other devices and Samsung’s new Kies Air which lets people manage their smartphone contents from their PC via local WiFi connections.

A new ‘Live Panel’ feature on the Galaxy S II allows aggregation of live web, social networking and application contents to a single customisable home-screen, whilst it’s possible to place all the important parts of your life onto three adjacent home screens which you can switch between simply by pressing and holding on the screen. As with all the Samsung Galaxy family, the Galaxy S II features Samsung Hubs, providing a huge range of entertainment content, advanced mobile games and the ability to manage social networking accounts.

The Samsung Galaxy S II will be available in the UK across all major networks and retailers.
Source: Samsung

coreymm324

Reaction score
i know theres no definite confirmation for which carrier in the US will get it, but have there been ANY kind of indication that it'll be coming out for Verizon? if its coming to Verizon, ill pass uo the thunderbolt and the incredible 2 and wait for this thing...its gorgeous

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
Samsung is already releasing the stealth for 4g right? Whats the point of having this and the stealth 4g

coreymm324

Reaction score
the Stealth is actually the Droid Charge..which is the ugliest phone i think ive ever seen. if they released both 4G, i bet the charge wouldnt even compare in sales. its sooo much sleeker and better looking than the charge

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Does it say if it's 4G ?

Yes it is 4G but for T mobile or AT&T..

• HSPA:
    • Yes HSUPA 5.76 Mbit/s
  • HSPA+ (4G):
    • Yes (HSDPA 21 Mbit/s)
Samsung Galaxy S II specs - Phone Arena

If this Phone does come to Verizon it will Probably be 4thQ. that is if they do it the same way as they did with the Galaxy s1. Verizon was the last to get it..

Last edited:

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
the Stealth is actually the Droid Charge..which is the ugliest phone i think ive ever seen. if they released both 4G, i bet the charge wouldnt even compare in sales. its sooo much sleeker and better looking than the charge
Ya I agree I hate the shape of the stealth and am not considering it. I just dont understand why would verizon be last to get this phone? Largest and best carrier= last for new technology? Got thunderbolt late (htcevo4g), got fascinate late (galaxy s on every other carrier) got bionic late (atrix at and t)

I just dont get why the largest and most reliable carrier cant get the best phones the soonest.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Ya I agree I hate the shape of the stealth and am not considering it. I just dont understand why would verizon be last to get this phone? Largest and best carrier= last for new technology? Got thunderbolt late (htcevo4g), got fascinate late (galaxy s on every other carrier) got bionic late (atrix at and t)

I just dont get why the largest and most reliable carrier cant get the best phones the soonest.

They really are getting terrible about this. All the cutting edge phones are going to other carriers initially. It's maddening.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
VZW has always gotten phone technology last... but it seems to be worsening.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
VZW doesn't get EVERY phone, but I'm not seeing where they're lagging in the cutting edge. So AT&T got the Atrix, but it's not LTE. And quite honestly I think VZW wanted no part of the Atrix given unlimited data plans. Bionic just around the corner, and I think the DX and DInc were on par with the Evo just obviously not 4G.

Sometimes I think people on this board just sit around waiting for stuff to complain about regarding VZW.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
not complaining

VZW doesn't get EVERY phone, but I'm not seeing where they're lagging in the cutting edge. So AT&T got the Atrix, but it's not LTE. And quite honestly I think VZW wanted no part of the Atrix given unlimited data plans. Bionic just around the corner, and I think the DX and DInc were on par with the Evo just obviously not 4G.

Sometimes I think people on this board just sit around waiting for stuff to complain about regarding VZW.

There is a difference between complaining and stating a fact. every other carrier has better phones out than currently available on Verizon. and the phones are cheaper on the other carriers for the equivalent phone also. but there may be something that we dont even know about. or the droid x2 maybe turn out to have a lot more than advertised. but the galaxy s-2 may be too much for me to pass up not to jump ship if they indeed are 4-6 months behind everyone else. im willing to wait until august for a great phone on verison. but not much past that. the bionic may still be a good option but we have to wait and see what is blurred about the device :) . we already are pretty assured it may be rooted and not much more which really kills it. but we dont know that every other phone wont be either. of course we will have this conversation again in 6 months. man i got this galaxy s-2 and its nice but i want that droid 5 :)
watch all this be a waste when this power phone comes out 3g only on verizon :(

alienware777

Reaction score
Are there really no side keys like volume on this? You can only see the info when comparing with another phone that has them (ex droid), but it shows up as none. Check it out with this comparison of the Moto Droid 1 and Galaxy SII.
Side Keys Right: Volume control, Camera shutter

That kinda sucks :/