Samsung Galaxy SII section now live!!

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Welcome to the new playground. Is anyone thinking, looking or on the fence about getting this device? Let me know your thoughts.

djbrent2

Reaction score
out of all of the phones announced, it's the only one i really want. i think it might not be locked/encrypted, so we'll see ROMs and kernels. the only problem is that i found out my "upgrade now" button doesn't do anything. it's just reminding me that i can buy a phone at full price whenever i want. i read that the 32gb version is starting at almost $1200 in Europe. my actual upgrade isn't until 30 Nov, so i'll just be holding my OG Droid until then - watching to see what dev phones come out. i like the idea of letting my 2 year die and going month to month, but not with the prices of these new phones. i'll have another 2 year, please! :icon_ banana:

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I'm really thinking hard about this phone. I started with the Original Droid, and then bought the Fascinate the day it came out. There's a few thing's that bother me about the Samsung, and if there fixed with 2.3, I'll be buying this one. My GPS really sucks, and I can never lock on a satelite. With my Droid, it would lock everytime within a second or 2. My other problem is the reception isn't quite as good as the Motorolla. I could get 3 to 4 bars with the Droid, where as I only get 1 or 2 with the Samsung in the same spot.

Everybody knows about how slow they have been with updating. I went from 2.2 on my Droid to 2.1, and I'm still waiting for the OTA update to come through. Other than that, I really love the phone. The screen is awesome, and I love all the other features it has the Droid does not have. I was planning on buying the Bionic, but if they resolve those issues, mainly with the GPS, I'll be buying another Samsung. The specs on this thing look amazing. Hopefully they come out within a few weeks of each other.

Vito.a

Reaction score
I am watching this forum for news on both the Bionic and the Galaxy SII. My choice will depend on release dates, as well as specs and battery life.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am also watching the Bionic and this phone.. What ever comes out first I will Test it in the store. I am hoping that if this S2 is released at the same time as the Bionic so I can make a decision.

fever

Reaction score
Not so sure now

After reading Chubbydog's post it makes me pause. I've had my D1 for 15 months and like the reception. I don't care about specs if the GPS and phone reception are markedly worse than the D1. The D1 does a good job most of the time on GPS and phone reception.

Chubbydog

Reaction score
I read also, that the SII was not 4G. I'm not sure if anyone can confirm this, but that would be a deal breaker for me. My next phone will be 4G for sure.

As long as the GPS works good, and it's a 4G phone, I think I'm going to get the Samsung. The reception on the Fascinate right now still works ok, I just don't get as many bars as I did on my D1. I don't drop calls or anything like that.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
hmm

didnt know there was a question about this being 4g if its doesnt matter if it has a quad core and 5 gigs of ram. its worthless. 4g important now not really but will be stuck with the next phone 18-24 months so next phone must have 4g.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I read also, that the SII was not 4G. I'm not sure if anyone can confirm this, but that would be a deal breaker for me. My next phone will be 4G for sure.

As long as the GPS works good, and it's a 4G phone, I think I'm going to get the Samsung. The reception on the Fascinate right now still works ok, I just don't get as many bars as I did on my D1. I don't drop calls or anything like that.

It is a 4G Dual Core phone!!!

HSPA+ (High-Speed Packet Access
)—the 4G flavor currently offered by T-Mobile and AT&T

allan1313

Reaction score
I was unaware of those GPS issues. My of Droid locks in very quick. The longest it takes is 25-30 seconds. I need it to be fast for my job. I am in the car a lot going in many directions without any notice.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Icculus760

Reaction score
CK - I was looking at it, then I was on the fence vs. Bionic, and now I'm thinking that I'm 94% sure I'm buying it on _____ release date!

I just don't see any VZW phone -- on the market now or soon to be released -- that can match up with the S2.

Add to it that I know one highly respected & appreciated dev who already said they'd be getting one (yeah, you know I'm talking about you!), there's nothing holding me back anymore. I just don't see a reason NOT to buy it!

girlsliketech2

Reaction score
I plan on getting it IF it releases by end of June. I keep hearing rumors it'll be August or September and I just can't wait that long. My BB runs slowly and the GPS never works anymore. Not to mention I'd like to try my best to get into a non-tiered plan.

So basically waiting for the Bionic to come out (late this month maybe) and hopefully the S2 will be out soon after so I can compare.

chuckz28

Reaction score
I'm really hoping for more information on the Verizon end soon. I have been sitting on an upgrade since October waiting for the Bionic and the more I hear about the S2 the better it sounds. The S2 will likely be my replacement as well as my wife's who just came up for upgrade on her Eris. I have pretty much put the Bionic behind me now so it isn't much of a consideration.

nova77

Reaction score
This phone brings so much to the table! Im definitely sold on it, just a lil worried about if it is going to come to Verizon

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Last edited:

corymcnutt

Reaction score
I thought we weren't even sure the GS2 was coming to Verizon; did I miss something?