Samsung Galaxy S7's Six Biggest Rumored Changes/Features

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s7-mockup.png

It's hard to believe that 2015 is almost already gone. Very soon the holidays will be roaring down on us, but that also means we are close to 2016. One of the hottest rumors of this year is that Samsung plans to launch their Galaxy S7 early next year, and will actually be revealing it in January. For those who are excited to see what Samsung has up their sleeve, the rapidly dwindling year could be a good thing.

In the mean-time here's a quick compilation of 6 of the biggest Samsung Galaxy S7 rumors we have found so far:
  • The Galaxy S7 will have a 5.2-inch display size and curved (double-Edge-style) screen
  • The Galaxy S7 will have an Exynos 8890 or a Snapdragon 820 (depending on what region of the world you live in)
  • The Galaxy S7 will have pressure sensitive touch screen technology just like what you find in the iPhone 6S
  • The Galaxy S7 will include a USB Type-C connector for maximum future potential
  • The Galaxy S7 will have a magnesium case with a glass overlay (similar to what we see on the Galaxy S6 except for the newer magnesium material)
  • The Galaxy S7 will include an even better camera than the previous generation - maybe a high-end Sony sensor
Some of these are likely no-brainers. It's obvious that Sammy would continue to enhance their camera as they have basically done that with nearly every iteration of the Galaxy line since inception. Furthermore, USB Type-C is the hot new go-to marketing feature.

It also shouldn't come as a surprise that Sammy wants to throw pressure-touch tech into the Galaxy S7. Since when have they ever let Apple get too far ahead of them on ideas? Overall, it doesn't look like there is any specific individual feature that stands out, but taken as a whole the Galaxy S7 could be another formidable device. If Samsung chooses to bring back microSD slots, then they could regain a ton of fans with their next gen device. What do you think?

Here's our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S7 section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S7 | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

GAstorino

Reaction score
If no card then at least put in 256gb of storage. Also why do they limit the amount of ram to 3 or 4. Put 8 or 16. Crazy when ram is so cheap to go cheap. People are using their phones more and more like a desktop with office apps, chromecast, keyboards, etc. Make it hum.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If no card then at least put in 256gb of storage. Also why do they limit the amount of ram to 3 or 4. Put 8 or 16. Crazy when ram is so cheap to go cheap. People are using their phones more and more like a desktop with office apps, chromecast, keyboards, etc. Make it hum.
Ram for PCs and Ram for mobile aren't the same tech. While it is true that Ram is cheaper across the board, it's still more expensive to manufacture for mobile devices. Additionally, there are no devices or apps that could really take advantage of more than 3-4GB of Ram yet, so it would be a waste to include more. If anyone has info to refute this, please correct me if I am wrong.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
As Far as the not Exceeding the 4GB Area the main Concern is using the 64Bit Processors. Since they are in the Begin of Using them I wouldnt be surprised to see a 6 or 8GB Phone Next Year but they may not see it as Practical or a real need for it Like PCs. Remember that PCs do have More Room for RAM Modules so you need to make it smaller in a Phone. I'd Love a 16-Core with 16GB Ram & 512GB of Storage and 6" 4K Screen with a 5-6,000mAh Battery. I wouldnt mind if it wasnt ultra thin as long as it was a beast with great Battery too.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
There is talk about an iris scanner as well. Maybe they will finally bake the fingerprint scanner into the screen like they demo'd early last year on a prototype.

I would hope that they also beef up the battery. I'm not convinced that quick charging is good for the overall life of the battery so I have mine turned off.

Reactions: cr6

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Ram for PCs and Ram for mobile aren't the same tech. While it is true that Ram is cheaper across the board, it's still more expensive to manufacture for mobile devices. Additionally, there are no devices or apps that could really take advantage of more than 3-4GB of Ram yet, so it would be a waste to include more. If anyone has info to refute this, please correct me if I am wrong.

exactly, unless the processor architecture is 64bit it can't handle anymore than 4gb and honestly, I don't think my phone needs anything more than 4gb, not unless they let me install windows on it and play SWtor on my phone while I'm not at home.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a need for more than 4GB ram on a phone for a while. Plus the processors have a ways to go to be a portable "plug-n-play" desktop.

Because of heat issues, I don't think phones will be portable desktops until at least 10nm, and probably more realistically 7nm, architecture.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see a need for more than 4GB ram on a phone for a while. Plus the processors have a ways to go to be a portable "plug-n-play" desktop.

Because of heat issues, I don't think phones will be portable desktops until at least 10nm, and probably more realistically 7nm, architecture.
and getting to 7nm is gonna be a pain... silicon is getting harder and harder to get smaller and smaller

graphene or something similar is the way of the future

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
The amount of system memory is one of the most important parts of the phone. It determines what programs can run on it and how many at a time. All newer phones are 64bit so the 4gb barrier is gone. Every new OS takes up more space, and every running program takes up space. Most non-techies don't understand that most of the out of memory errors are usually system memory not storage. 4GB currently is still mostly OK but more is safer if you intend to keep it a while. 2GB is now way too little.

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I'm also no fan of the shiny metal/glass/curved back on a lot of new phones. My favorite back so far is on the Note 4. If I didn't know better I would swear it was leather. Love the feel. Never slippery. Feels premium and unfortunately is unique. It feels so good I'm surprised Apple didn't rip it off ;).

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I'm also no fan of the shiny metal/glass/curved back on a lot of new phones. My favorite back so far is on the Note 4. If I didn't know better I would swear it was leather. Love the feel. Never slippery. Feels premium and unfortunately is unique. It feels so good I'm surprised Apple didn't rip it off ;).

I loved the back of the Note 3 as well. I can't remember what my Note Edge has since I have a skin covering it.

Give them time...they will use it and claim it to be worthy when they think people have forgotten about everyone mocking the back.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I loved the back of the Note 3 as well. I can't remember what my Note Edge has since I have a skin covering it.

Give them time...they will use it and claim it to be worthy when they think people have forgotten about everyone mocking the back.
and the apple fanbois and sheep will go wild proclaiming the greatest back cover ever.