Samsung Galaxy S7 Goes Swimming in a Pool and Comes Out...

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-s7-edge-swimming-vid.jpg

One of the defining characteristics for the new Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge from Samsung is the return of water-resistance. Both devices comply with an IP68 water and dust resistance rating, unlike the previous generation Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.

Despite Samsung's assertion that the phone is perfectly useable underwater, one YouTuber decided he wanted to test out just how his Galaxy S7 Edge would handle it. First, he did the typical "phone-in-a-bowl" test, and the phone worked flawlessly for 20 minutes. He then took it to the next level by going swimming with, and using his Galaxy S7 Edge in a pool at up to 9 feet of depth.

After his dip in the pool, the phone still worked perfectly and not a single issue. While this water-testing video was a bit on the boring side, at least we know that a retail Galaxy S7 Edge will hold up to quite a bit of water abuse.

You can check out the full video in the thread below, and be sure to drop by our dedicated Samsung Galaxy S7 series section for more discussion: Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Does being in the water even with it working correctly after being taken out void the warranty?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Does being in the water even with it working correctly after being taken out void the warranty?
Shouldn't. That's what the IP68 rating is for.

But yea it probably does.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I wonder, usually the water sensitive stickers are inside the battery cover... this is water proof, water shouldn't get into the battery cover... if it does, then it probably will void said warranty (take it apart and replace the sticker, you can buy them on Ebay)... just having it in the water with you though, probably won't.

this is actually really making me want to use one of my upgrades now that I can, to get the s7e I really want to hold out for the note 6 and my moto X is pretty awesome... decisions decisions.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I'm in the same boat @liftedplane . I'm going to head over to my local corporate vzw store this wknd to get some hands on time with the S7 & S7E, but that little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to hold out for Note 6. I have a feeling this year's Note series will really be impressive. I just don't think I can wait that long.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm in the same boat @liftedplane . I'm going to head over to my local corporate vzw store this wknd to get some hands on time with the S7 & S7E, but that little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to hold out for Note 6. I have a feeling this year's Note series will really be impressive. I just don't think I can wait that long.
I have 4 lines, all elligible for upgrade, 2 are unlimited... I have a bit of extra cashflow now... >_> SOOO HARD to not upgrade my phone every six months...

Reactions: cr6

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I actually liked the s7 better than the edge ...feel in hand was awesome ...I'd wait on the Note 6 though

6s Plus
stopped by Verizon and played with both, I enjoyed how they felt but they're just a but to small... I'm definitely going to hold on to my moto x pure and wait for the GN6 and see how that one feels...

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
stopped by Verizon and played with both, I enjoyed how they felt but they're just a but to small... I'm definitely going to hold on to my moto x pure and wait for the GN6 and see how that one feels...

Yup size is smaller for sure ...I think great size for peeps that are looking for compact ...it's easily pocketable and you have the good specs...

6s Plus

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Yes wait for the Note 6! You are a power user and will love the screen size and added excellence of the S pen. I know there are apps now that can handle most of the features I love about the pen but something about having the pen stuck right in the phone is very convenient. The accuracy for writing and drawing is also better than any stylus I've used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Man I would totally buy this phone if I didn't still have a bit over $400 left to pay on my g4