Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Have High End Specs According to Latest Leak

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think they need to go in a different direction...

The Droid Turbo has higher specs than the GS5, but when I went from the GS5 to the Turbo, it was a lateral move... Performance differences were negligible, screen was slightly nicer but again, negligible...

The performance of flagship devices is getting so high, that being able to tell the difference between them is hard to do. It's not like a new phone does all that much more than the last gen phone.

It's like a car that does 204mph getting replaced by a "faster" car that does 210mph... Ok, but will any of us ever really reach those speeds and tell the difference? Probably not.

They need to think outside the box... We already have phones with larger screens and you can't go larger without it just being a true tablet with a phone inside... so just taking the phone we already have and giving it a slightly faster CPU, doesn't usually justify buying a new $600 device...

And it is probably why their sales are slumping and for the first time in years, Apple is taking back a little ground in marketshare...

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Unless Sammy finally found a way for global LTE (not the Korean LTE) to mesh with their Exynos SoC I can't see them moving away from Snapdragon.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Droid Turbo has higher specs than the GS5, but when I went from the GS5 to the Turbo, it was a lateral move... Performance differences were negligible, screen was slightly nicer but again, negligible...

The performance of flagship devices is getting so high, that being able to tell the difference between them is hard to do. It's not like a new phone does all that much more than the last gen phone.

It's like a car that does 204mph getting replaced by a "faster" car that does 210mph... Ok, but will any of us ever really reach those speeds and tell the difference? Probably not.

They need to think outside the box... We already have phones with larger screens and you can't go larger without it just being a true tablet with a phone inside... so just taking the phone we already have and giving it a slightly faster CPU, doesn't usually justify buying a new $600 device...

And it is probably why their sales are slumping and for the first time in years, Apple is taking back a little ground in marketshare...
True that iSheep are used to more of the same and don't particularly want to go in another direction. That's why they're sheep. My wife and older daughters are classic examples of iSheep, even to the point of balking at a screen bigger than the iPhone 5. sSheep are different in that they don't mind more of the same up to a point. More a black sheep than true sheeple.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

wcjeep

Reaction score
The S5 is the upper end for screen size. There is a market for bigger phones. I refuse to participate.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia

This is what I don't get. What other "direction" is there? Just like personal computers, smartphones have finally reached a plateau. Apple stopped "innovating" years ago. At least Samsung TRIES to do things differently by adding heart rate monitors, IR blasters, better cameras, useful apps people (may or may not) use. HTC TRIES by building a quality product with great stereo speakers. LG TRIES to be different with their back button setup, laser focus camera & UHD screens. Moto, well they really haven't done anything "new" in awhile, but they're trying. :) And didn't one manufacturer come out with a built in projector, which would project your screen onto a wall? I mean c'mon people, that's some serious awesomesauce right there, yet it turned out to be just another gimmi.....I mean feature, that people didn't use.
Point is, people want "new & different" but then complain when all it does is read their heartrate, instead of wiping their nose and making them coffee in the morning.
There really is nowhere else to go with today's smartphones. You now have the power of most desktops in your pocket, but it doesn't seem to be enough until we have a holographic display. (which WILL come at some point). But aside from all the bells & whistles, people continue to do the exact same thing on today's smartphones that they did 5-6 years ago, they simply do them faster.

S5 tap'n

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There really is nowhere else to go with today's smartphones.

I think there's quite a few directions to go. You can't find a high-end spec phone under 5". Storage options on many higher end phones is limited. They've forgotten about ergonomics in a race to make bigger, thinner phones. They skimp on battery - which most people REALLY care about - in favor of 2k and 4k screens (which no one really needs). Camera, speakers, speakerphone and call quality are all to varying degrees low priority for most manufacturers.

Basically, no one is making the phone everyone wants while, to varying degrees, they are all adding features no one wants. IR blasters?!? Tech savvy videophiles ditched that years ago.

usamaabid

Reaction score
Problem is not the 5.5 size...
Problem is their styling... i dont believe that samsung made any good looking phone after s3....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I think there's quite a few directions to go. You can't find a high-end spec phone under 5". Storage options on many higher end phones is limited. They've forgotten about ergonomics in a race to make bigger, thinner phones. They skimp on battery - which most people REALLY care about - in favor of 2k and 4k screens (which no one really needs). Camera, speakers, speakerphone and call quality are all to varying degrees low priority for most manufacturers.

Basically, no one is making the phone everyone wants while, to varying degrees, they are all adding features no one wants. IR blasters?!? Tech savvy videophiles ditched that years ago.

IMO they did pretty good with the S5. Sure it's not 4K, but that's what helps makes the battery last ask day with room to spare with heavy usage. The camera takes to notch photos, second only to Apple and the Note 4, the call quality is better than most flagship models released at the same time. Sure the external speaker is nothing to write home about, but headphone quality (the thing MOST people use) us amazing. Ours also the perfect size and easy to use with one hand, if that's your thing. While I agree the back covers dimpled look isn't preferred by many, but its really a non issue being that must consumers put their $700 smartphone in a protective case.....which also makes it much easier to hold.
I think at this point we're arguing/discussing semantics as hardware-wise this device easily holds its own, every with the latest flagship models. There will never be the "perfect" smartphone that will make EVERYONE happy. But in terms of hardware and innovation, there really isn't much more that can be done, outside of small refinements you pointed out. I think the S6 will help address some of those issues.

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
So what happens when Samsung launches their foldable devices next year? People say Samsung releases too many phones every year with features no one wants. Then another OEM launches a phone with some of the said features and it is an instant hit.

creaky

Reaction score
5.5" screen may be OK if the overall dimensions still allow the phone to be held with one hand. I don't want a big, bulky phone. I waited for the Nexus 6 but had to pass due to size. I hope that the 810 helps with battery life as this IS one place where people can really see the difference. Turbo charging is a welcome innovation but it doesn't help if you are not near an outlet. Better cameras (and not higher mp count) is another area for major improvement as are better antennas/ reception. So, if I could have a phone that would be 64-bit, truly all-day battery life, a great camera, excellent reception, and reasonably sized (not note/nexus 6 size) I'd be happy and I'm sure a lot of others would be too.

mk12gage

Reaction score
It will be useless unless there is a Google Play Edition version of it.
Touch Wiz makes phones unusable.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It will be useless unless there is a Google Play Edition version of it.
Touch Wiz makes phones unusable.
We're all entitled to our own opinions, and since we are, I'll strongly disagree. :)

Touch Wiz isn't ideal, and there's a lot I would change, but it actually brings many usable features. This is particularly true with large screen devices. Many reviews of the Nexus 6 lament the lack of software that takes advantage of a large screen. Touch Wiz takes advantage of large screens very well.

Is Touch Wiz for everyone? Nope. No UI is perfect for everyone. But its mere presence doesn't make a phone unusable.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Problem is not the 5.5 size...
Problem is their styling... i dont believe that samsung made any good looking phone after s3....
Phone size is a personal issue. My phone is 5.2 and my wife's is 5.5
My wife has very small hands and had no issue adapting after a couple of days of use.
As for Sammy's styling, I think the S5 is their best phone to date. I'm looking forward to the S6.