Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge to Get Android 6.0 Marshmallow Starting Today (Feb 15th)

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
EdgeUpdate_galaxy-s6.jpg

Samsung just announced that their Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge devices will start receiving the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update starting today (February 15th). They didn't share when the Galaxy S6 Edge+ and the Note 5 would get the update, but they did say, “other Galaxy devices will soon follow," so that's something.

Of course, each carrier will likely have their own vetting process so your mileage may vary for getting the update. This basically means Sammy is happy with the update and will be pushing it out to unlocked devices, and it is available for the carriers to fiddle with more aggressively.

There's one other interesting thing to note about this update. It will apparently include some additional features for the Galaxy S6 Edge's curved edges. This “Enhanced” edge will allow users to view more in-app content and add more apps. Also, the edge panels have been widened to 550px. This gives more room for more quick information and shortcuts. You can even customize up to nine panels. This includes the Apps edge panels and the People edge panels, which are slightly different now.

For even more of the details, check out Sammy's presser: Get Things Done Faster with the Newly Enhanced Edge Screen

Don't forget to drop by our Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S6, S6 Edge and S6 Edge Plus

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
(sigh)

I do not see the Note 5 on that list. :mad:

Time to make some chimichangas.

giphy.gif

Ahhh...I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Samsung.

:(

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow... after they even stated numerous times that the Note 5 was getting it prior to both of these two... another Samsung Fib.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Trust me, the Note 5 will be getting marshmallow. Do we seriously have to go through this EVERY update? LOL!
Relax folks.
If history has taught us anything it's that the first release OS updates are full of bugs. (Maybe not FULL of bugs, but they're will be bugs, it never fails) Relax, your Marshmallowy goodness will arrive....in time.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trust me, the Note 5 will be getting marshmallow. Do we seriously have to go through this EVERY update? LOL!
Relax folks.
If history has taught us anything it's that the first release OS updates are full of bugs. (Maybe not FULL of bugs, but they're will be bugs, it never fails) Relax, your Marshmallowy goodness will arrive....in time.

I have no thought in my mind that i'm not getting it, just that we heard numerous times that the Note 5 was going to be getting it prior to all the others as it was their newest flagship phone.

Reactions: cr6

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Relax folks.
Yes you are right we are getting it and yes I understand that it takes oems awhile (vs Google) for updates, but this again is why I hated non nexus devices. First we know Marshmallow is ready to be pushed being they already have it on the international model. Then about time Samsung actually pushes it we have to wait another month for our carrier to push it.
Meanwhile on my nexus 6 I am practically getting an update monthly. But I knew what I was getting into when I bought a Samsung so I'll have to suck it up.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There really isn't anything in Marshmallow that is a "must have" IMO. Most of the features being added have been available via third party launchers & apps for some time now. (But then that's usually how these updates pan out anyways) What I am looking forward to however is the new "app permissions" support and "Ram Manager". Definitely some useful features right there!
Overall it's a pretty decent update for those folks that look forward to getting the latest OS updates asap.
Here's a breakdown of the latest Marshmallow change log from the good folks at Androidpit.com. Android 6.0 Marshmallow: all the key features explained - AndroidPIT

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
They originally listed the Note 4 on the list to get Marshmallow. Is this still true?