Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge Officially Unveiled; Full Specs & Design Revealed

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s6-and-edge-2.JPG

The second of our big Android smartphone announcements just kicked off this fine Sunday morning. The Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge were officially unveiled, and Samsung put on quite an impressive show. Sammy's flagship is officially outed now, and Samsung fans have something new to be excited about.

Will the Samsung Galaxy S6 & S6 Edge be a hit? Here at HQ we are actually quite impressed with the Galaxy S6 Edge, but aren't sure what to think about the regular Galaxy S6. Its aesthetic design isn't much different from the past (except for the back), and it has given up many of the features that fans of the Galaxy series appreciated (like a removable battery and a microSD slot).

Still, to reiterate, the Galaxy S6 Edge does push the envelope on both a technological and an aesthetic level. It's a truly beautiful smartphone and could really surprise this year. Also, Samsung's Exynos 7420 (industry first and only 14nm chip) brings some impressive specs to the table, and really evolves the internal hardware to a new level. The phone also has the fastest quick charging battery in the industry and has built-in wireless charging. The camera includes the world's first real-time HDR lighting in a smartphone for fantastic pics and video.

The phone will initially come in white, black, gold, & blue-green and will be available on April 10th.

What do you guys think?

You can see the full specs of both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge in the thread below.

Here is our dedicated Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge section for further discussion: Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge General Discussions Android Forum at DroidForums.net

There are a couple of images of the devices in the thread below that show off the aesthetics of these new flagships from Sammy.

[Editor's Note: We originally reported that the S6 & S6 Edge would come in blue and green, but it turns out the color of the phone is both blue and green depending on the lighting. We updated the story to reflect the correction.]

Last edited:
OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here are the full specs of the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge:

galaxy-s6-galaxy-s6-edge-specs-image.jpg

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
On the S6, I could go with something less than the 5.5" screen I'm accustomed to, I could maybe give up the removable battery but the lack of microSD added to the mix, not for me. And I like the Samsung phones in general.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So just a marginally improved version of what we already have? Not even that, really, because you lose the battery and SD slot... So in several key ways, the new phone is a downgraded phone...

The curved edges don't impress me. Makes it harder to find a decent case, because the edges have to stay exposed...

Sure, it is higher resolution than the S5, but on a small screen, it isn't really that noticeably... You almost need the larger phablet screens to start to take advantage of it...

Not sure what Samsung is thinking...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The cellular carriers love that they've given up the SD card because more and more data will be used to back up those bigger and bigger photos and videos to the cloud. One thing is for sure, hope it supports USB OTG, though it should.

Removable batteries were a real sticking point for users and it's going to be a real sore spot. It's interesting how I've heard from Samsung owners how their battery life was great but then they say removable batteries were a must.

Wonder how many diehard Samsung fans will make the move to the S6 or S6 Edge? Should certainly stir some conversation.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Actually, looking the phone doesn't look as mediocre as I thought before the event. I am surprised by how much I like it. Yes, it does stick to some of Samsung's older design queues, but it definitely is an evolved design.

I have to admit that the S6 Edge gorgeous and I can't wait to check it out in person. Here are a couple of pics from BGR from the event to show off what I mean:

bgr-samsung-galaxy-s6-11.jpg

bgr-samsung-galaxy-s6-13.jpg

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only problem with making a phone this nice, is that you will want and need to cover it... Nobody wants a phone like that, all scratched and banged up... so putting all the extra effort and money into the external aesthetic, seems a bit of a waste to me. I mean, you want it to look nice, but 90% or more of the people why buy it, are just gonna put it in a case anyway... so I would rather the R&D go into the internals and screen, etc...

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
OMG green, that right there is news. They can stop the show now, its a green phone. Almost every other color of the rainbow has been made and then some but green. On a more serious note, this phone doesn't look like anything special, reminds me of a a deformed iphone. I'm almost thinking that we are nearing the peak of cell phone innovation and now have spec up releases.

EvilDragonX

Reaction score
I don't see anything about it being water proof. That was my favorite thing about the s5.

EvilDragonX

Reaction score
Yeah, according to the verge that was of things they got rid of. That really sucks.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything about it being water proof. That was my favorite thing about the s5.
The original s5 was not waterproof.

I'm really disappointed that Samsung went with no microSD card.
Non-removeable battery I could deal with since I was using Motorola for a couple years, but it's so much easier to replace a bad battery if it happens when you can take off the back.
I'm surprised they didn't increase the mp on the main camera and that it is 3gb ram. Hopefully that means the Note 5 will be 4gb.
Disappointed in the battery size. Hopefully the octacore processor makes that big of a difference.
Overall, not impressed with most aspects, but intrigued by the Edge version.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I like the blue, cannot wait to see some head to head.

Big4ce1

Reaction score
Is Samsung trying to be Apple? What a letdown! The very thing that they make fun of about the sour apple ,they did it themselves. Limited storage and non-removeable battery! I'll stick to my S5!