Samsung Galaxy S6 New Details and Prototype Image Supposedly Leaked; 5.2" Display & More [Updated]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-gs6-prototype-leak-dec-2014.jpg

[Update: It turns out the pic above of what is supposedly the Galaxy S6 is a fake. It's a photoshopped pic of the Samsung Galaxy Alpha. Top be honest, many of us here at DF HQ thought it looked suspiciously like the Galaxy Alpha, but we weren't the first ones to find the original, unaltered image. We included the "proof" image in the thread below.~ PhoneArena]

Here's a rumor from Sammy-land regarding the Galaxy S6 which we suspect is more realistic than some of the previous intel we have heard. This one comes with what is supposedly an image of the Galaxy S6 prototype as well. Here is the new info:
  • 5.2-inch 2560 x 1440 (QuadHD, aka 2K)
  • Rear Camera 16-megapixel, OIS, 4K recording
  • Front Camera 5-megapixel
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 inside USA, Exynos 7420 outside - both 64-bit
  • Android 5.0 Lollipop
  • 32, 64, 128GB internal storage
  • 128GB microSD/SDHC slot
Obviously the most notable difference from our previous S6 rumor is the 5.2-inch display instead of the head-scratching 5.5-inch variety. The almost edge-to-edge display is pretty impressive. Also, we again see the Snapdragon 810, which is probably unsurprising at this point.

The rest of the specs are business as usual, but the other thing worth noting is how bland and plain this device looks from the image. Of course, if this really is the prototype of the S6, it's entirely possible that Samsung is using a placeholder case design to house and test the internal hardware.

It's also possible we have two leaks merged into one. Maybe the image is from one of Samsung's mid-range devices, while the specs are for the Galaxy S6. Sound off with your perspective.

Source: SlashGear

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
It lookes like my Edge without the curved edge on one side.

I don't see a power button or volume buttons either. The home button is shorter in length and taller in height (if that makes any sense).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I like that they're still including a SD card slot. I also like that this is all 64 bit but wonder how much more actual real world performance enhancement it will provide. I am duly impressed with the Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420. Unless apps are optimized to benefit from the 64 bit architecture, there will likely be little noticeable improvement.

Glad to see they went 5.2" rather than phablet size. My Turbo display (also 5.2") is just about the top in screen size that I am comfortable holding as a phone.The Turbo has a relatively narrow bezel, though the Samsung images above look like an even thinner bezel so they might have been able to get away with a slightly larger screen without "feeling" larger.

I really don't like and never did like their two hard capacitive buttons mainly because they fade out and I can never remember which one is which, so it becomes a two-step process to select one button since I have to press something to light them first.

128GB resident RAM is perhaps overkill, especially since it has an SD card slot. I have 64GB on the Turbo and that suits me quite fine right now and for the foreseeable year or two.

16MP rear camera is great, but why do we need 5MP for the front camera? a 2MP camera does quite fine for selfies and video conferencing. The only real benefit I can see to a higher MP selfie camera is if taking videos of a group that you are in yourself, such as at a party or club.

If Samsung backs away some from the TouchWiz, or makes them Play Store apps that can be downloaded rather than being bloat, I might even consider going back to Samsung in the future if Motorola isn't making something competitive.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It lookes like my Edge without the curved edge on one side.

I don't see a power button or volume buttons either. The home button is shorter in length and taller in height (if that makes any sense).

Good point. I'm glad to see the button taking on a more natural size and shape as compared to the finger. I can't stand buttons (hard or soft), which are wide and too short height-wise. It's counter to the shape and "footprint" (i.e. fingerprint), of the finger touch. All you have to do is look at a fingerprint and see that it's naturally taller and not as wide, so making menu selections in a button array that's wide and too short makes mistyping more common. Finding that button and hitting it squarely as well, is difficult unless it's taller as it appears above.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
TouchWiz has gotten a lot better. Other than the color choices they made and having to wrap my brain around a new Settings layout this TW has been the smoothest transition from one version to the next.

It looks like they moved the front facing camera as well. 5MP is for the selfie crowd. There is no other explanation for it's existence.

This device is supposed to be Project Zero so I doubt we are looking at the S6 unless they enclosed the back entirely with metal. A full metal body is the only thing I can think of that will temporarily shut up the blogoshpere until they then turn around and accuse them, obsessively, of mimicking other OEMs.

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's the original image proving the above image is a fake:

fake-sg-debunked.jpeg

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I like that they're still including a SD card slot. I also like that this is all 64 bit but wonder how much more actual real world performance enhancement it will provide. I am duly impressed with the Snapdragon 805 and Adreno 420. Unless apps are optimized to benefit from the 64 bit architecture, there will likely be little noticeable improvement.

Glad to see they went 5.2" rather than phablet size. My Turbo display (also 5.2") is just about the top in screen size that I am comfortable holding as a phone.The Turbo has a relatively narrow bezel, though the Samsung images above look like an even thinner bezel so they might have been able to get away with a slightly larger screen without "feeling" larger.

I really don't like and never did like their two hard capacitive buttons mainly because they fade out and I can never remember which one is which, so it becomes a two-step process to select one button since I have to press something to light them first.

128GB resident RAM is perhaps overkill, especially since it has an SD card slot. I have 64GB on the Turbo and that suits me quite fine right now and for the foreseeable year or two.

16MP rear camera is great, but why do we need 5MP for the front camera? a 2MP camera does quite fine for selfies and video conferencing. The only real benefit I can see to a higher MP selfie camera is if taking videos of a group that you are in yourself, such as at a party or club.

If Samsung backs away some from the TouchWiz, or makes them Play Store apps that can be downloaded rather than being bloat, I might even consider going back to Samsung in the future if Motorola isn't making something competitive.

I agree the buttons on the Note4 and S5 stick way too far out vs other manufacturers .
5.2 on my G2 feels like a regular phone in hand and actually looks like a phone from WAY back in 2012 from a distance, no phablet wannabe.
Part of it is my eyes but to be honest from more than 3' away I can't tell an S4 from Note2 , S5 ,Note 3 , Note4. They all look exactly the same. Kinda iphoneish in a way in their cloning of each other. The S3 was the last that actually didn't look like it's Note counterpart or next release version.
As far as 64 bit; it's better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
I would like to see the Samsung bloatware on their app store instead of Play Store so my Samsung apps wouldn't be mixed in with my aftermarket apps.
As far as more mega pixels for selfies?
0ba59e4c79c79094b8e329bba89c2231.jpg

I'm thinking we need less of them

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
These specs make a little more sense, but they really should slow down, innovate, & push the envelope somewhere.

Didn't they just say the were reworking three mobile division after sales figures declined?

I'm not seeing a very huge step up here once again.